(12-19-2004) Bono Views Powerful Singing A Gift From Late Father - LAUNCH*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Views Powerful Singing A Gift From Late Father

U2 front man Bono believes his ever-strengthening voice is a "gift" from his late father. The singer has amazed other musicians with the increased resonance of his singing, which he attributes to the 2001 death of his dad Bob Hewson of cancer. Bono says, "I seem to have found this other voice. And I've had problems with my voice these last few years. "It would come to me in concert, in the 80s. I had a very big voice but I didn't know how to use it really and I didn't have the sensitivity. I was sort of shouting. I learnt to whisper towards the end of the 80s and 90s and now I feel like I've got my voice back with my big notes, and now I know what to do with it. "I wondered where I got this voice, and people around me, who I care about, asked me. "(Producer) Daniel Lanois said, 'Where d'you get the voice from?' And Jimmy Iovine from Interscope said the same thing. "And the only thing I could think of, I like to think that when somebody you love leaves you and passes away, they give you a gift and not just in the will." (wenn)

http://au.launch.yahoo.com/041219/10/2j25.html

I don't know about Bono's theory, but G-suz he sounds like he did during the LoveTown Tour, where I thought his voice was the most powerful and fragile.

I think he's going to kick our asses during the next tour!!

Yes, he easily outsings POP and ATYCLB on the Bomb. He even got back the high notes.

Whatever he's doing, keep it up!

I just hope this silences (at least a little) all the naysayers who continue to state that Bono has "lost his voice". He sounds great on the album and in all the live shows so far! And if he does sound weak in concert here and there - he also did so during the JT and LoveTown tours. So perhaps his father did give him a blessing when he passed away.

I think Bono sings better than ever. OK, maybe his falsetto singing was a bit better in the 80´s, but the voice is a lot more "rock" today. A little rusty and very powerful.

Those who think Bono has lost his voice can try to sing Kite, SYCMIOYO or Mercy for that matter... I think they will shut up pretty fast:wink:

Remember when we first heard Mercy around these parts? Most of us were saying that it must of been a Zooropa outtake because the "voice" used was so powerful on that song. Imagine our suprise finding out that it was one of the last tracks done during the Bomb sessions. Bono is back in a big way.

The resurgence in his voice is a really big surprise to me (and I'm sure to many others too) and is a considerable boost to U2's long-term prospects IMO..

he really sounds amazing now i totally agree. i'm excited to hear both the new stuff live and some of the older stuff like new year's day etc on tour. :drool: :drool:

I LOVE THE LINE, "BEST YOU CAN DO IS TO FAKE IT" AS HE PUTS A SLY SMIRK INTO A VERY EMOTIONAL SONG.
I just hope with all these powerful lyrics he doesn't get the throat isues he had during the UF tour!!
Pride really kicked his voices arse :)

Back
Top Bottom