(10-20-2004) U2's New Chain of Release -- Herald Sun*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,389805,00.jpg[/SIMG]
U2's New Chain of Release

Nui Te Koha
21oct04

U2's latest album has arrived in Melbourne handcuffed to a record executive.

A single copy of the album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, one of three in existence, is on a global tour for preview sessions. Chris Dwyer, of the band's record company Island, arrived yesterday with the disc in a briefcase handcuffed to her arm.

With the album expected to sell three million copies in its first week, the single disc has a potential value of $60 million.

Strictly monitored playback or listening sessions for music media, radio and retailers are the industry's latest move to fight piracy.

The trend to protect superstar artists saw Justin Timberlake and Nelly albums flown in from the US under tight security.

Rapper Eminem's new record will get the same treatment.

"Unfortunately, these days, the threat of physical piracy and online piracy is too great," Ms Dwyer said. "The music business really needs to protect the property of its artists.

"This means we have to keep our releases to ourselves right up to the point it is available in shops."

U2's new album will be released on November 22.

Frontman Bono says it has the spark and vitality of a first record.

Ms Dwyer said it was a return to U2's essential sound.

"They don't take anything for granted. They are still fresh. They are still hungry," she said.

Ms Dwyer also confirmed tour plans.

"U2 is looking forward to touring this record and they will be here in 2005," she said.

U2 is one of the big gun releases planned for the run-up to Christmas. Others include new albums by Eminem, Delta Goodrem and Anthony Callea.

--Herald Sun

They should carry U2 around in a cage so they can't play the songs until the album comes out. Linked to my arm. THen I can feed Edge CheeEseea again Lkeka I did when he was in my closet.

Amazing how much the internet has changed things. I remember taping "Numb" off of the radio 11 years ago in anticipation of Zooropa. That's all we had!

:huh:

Nate Dogg said:
Amazing how much the internet has changed things. I remember taping "Numb" off of the radio 11 years ago in anticipation of Zooropa. That's all we had!

:huh:

Alas how the mighty are fallen.

Golden years bop bop bop golden years

This is a new age indeed. I am really starting to believe that there will be no snippets or leaks of any kind. When the last album pre-release offered those 30 second snippets someone was able to find the entire album and leak it. This time around it seems the music industry is doing everthing possible to keep this album off the internet. There will probably be a few songs that we end up hearing for the first time (no hints of at all) until the actual release date.

At least the industry is becoming more responsible in preventing the opportunity for leaks to occur. They might sell a few more albums with this kind of protection.

Agreed, Roland. And believe me, it isn't just the music biz. This stuff is serious. If anybody on here is a movie buff, you'll recall the "screeners" fracas with the Oscars last yr. Citing fears of "piracy", the major studios tried to ban the longstanding practice of sending "screeners"--video copies of Oscar-nominated films--to the homes of Academy of Motion Pictures And Sciences (the judges). The independent film industry rose up in uproar, citing a vast major-studio conspiracy to keep small, indie films from getting Oscar noms, since there are so many films to judge come awards season time, some of these smaller films that didn't do much at the box office but were critical darlings would never be able to be seen otherwise, they'd be lost in the crush. Some of the Best Actor and Actress nsoms came about b/c of screeners, and some actors owe their careers to them. If anybody wants more info on the history of this, and the film biz's efforts to fight piracy, (piracy of US films in Aisa, esp China and Thailand, costs the studios a LOT of money each yr) go to Oscarwatch.com.

U2 are one of the world's top-selling acts and if they prosper this and next yr, it'll be to the whole industry's gain. So they'll go to any lengths to ptotect their prodcut. Personally, I don't think they'll succeed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom