(05-13-2007) It’s Dr. Edge — Berklee honors rocker, Estefans - Boston Herald*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
It’s Dr. Edge — Berklee honors rocker, Estefans

By Jed Gottleib

Boston has long been U2’s American home but it may be a while before the band’s next Hub homecoming, The Edge told the Herald yesterday before accepting an honorary doctorate from Berklee at Agganis Arena.

When asked if 2008 would be the year the Irish megastars play Fenway, the iconic U2 guitarist smiled impishly and said that, while that would be great, the band hasn’t planned that far down the road.

“We’re still working on material for the new album so it’s impossible to say what will happen when,” he said, dressed in his usual uniform of black beanie cap, jacket and T-shirt. “I think it will be another while still before we think about touring.”

Since the band’s American beginnings at the Paradise rock club to its recent sold-out Garden shows, the city has always been a major U2 stronghold, so receiving the honor from a local college made it doubly special, he said.

“I was just blown when I looked at the list of previous honorees,” he said. “I saw friends like B.B. King and Quincy Jones and legends like Duke Ellington. It’s an incredible list to be part of.”

Standing alongside Berklee College of Music’s other honoraries - Gloria and Emilio Estefan and the widow of legendary jazzman Andrew Hill - after donning traditional academic robes and cap, The Edge was cited as one of the world’s most recognizable players, a guitarist who spent the 1980s and ’90s forging a layered, echo-filled tone that stood in stark contrast to the flashy, metal and blues playing of his peers.

After telling the 850 graduates to spurn imitation and “leave the official map,” he left the crowd not with his or songwriting partner Bono’s lyrics.

“In the immortal words of AC/DC,” he said, concluding his acceptance speech. “For those about to rock, we salute you.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=1000970

edge is so amazing. im glad hes getting recognized. he really deserves this.

Back
Top Bottom