(02-20-2005) Bono: Give a Little - New York Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Give a Little

By BONO

EUROPE is securing its ports, steeling itself for an American charm offensive. Over the coming days, President Bush and his hosts will shake hands, slap backs, make toasts. But if the United States and Europe really want to repair their relationship, they should look to another continent: Africa.

Both America and Europe have a stake in preventing African states from crumbling. Both have an interest in ending the poverty that breeds violence. And both feel a moral obligation to stop the hemorrhaging of life.

Aren't those shared interests obvious? Not lately. We lament - but secretly indulge - our differences. Points of tension are points of pride. Snottiness is the new patriotism.

So what can Mr. Bush do? Well, he can clear up some confusion about America's basic beliefs. Americans are overtly devout. And yet Europeans, who inhabit a more secular world, give more per capita than Americans to what the Bible calls "the least of these" - the world's poor. The United States is in 22nd place, last in the class of donor nations. (Add private philanthropy and it's up to 15th.) Europeans see the discrepancy, and they smell hypocrisy.

President Bush should try to help Europeans understand American generosity. He should remind people that the United States has gotten more AIDS drugs to more Africans than anyone else. But he should also underscore that Americans want to ensure that the money is spent responsibly.

To Europeans, this "tough love" approach seems cruel. But there is compassion at its core. Mr. Bush can demonstrate this by putting more financial muscle behind his push for "accountability." If he does, Europeans will follow suit. They will see talking tough on poverty as a perfect rhyme for talking tough on terrorism. If Europe and America work together, a breakthrough for Africa is within reach. Then, other obstacles will fall away - as will the misconceptions that blind us to one another.

Bono, a singer for the band U2, is the founder of DATA, which campaigns against AIDS and poverty in Africa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/opinion/20bono.html?

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Thanks to Robert!

Miroslava said:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

it's sad that it takes celebrity to bring attention to these matters for so many politicians. Bono, you're the man!

I was just going to post this in FYM but I'm glad that it was posted here first instead.

The issue is simply one of whether or not Mr. Bush is going to join his European colleagues and step up the PERCENTAGE of U.S. funding for Global AIDS and other exteme poverty programs (like the Millenium Challenge Account) to a level where the European nations are according to the GDP.

Despite the common notions, even with Pres. Bush's Global AIDS initiative, the U.S. is giving LESS now(as a % of our GDP) to fight extreme poverty in the world than we were 25 years ago!

This is obscene and should be unacceptable to us.

But Bono can not do it alone. To be successful, Bono needs EACH OF US TO GET INVOLVED in this struggle by writing letters to the editors of our newspapers expressing our concerns and support for MORE MONEY for the Global Fund and the President's own Millenium Challenge Account.

Bono needs us to get our friends and neighbors to sign The ONE Campaign's petition and then to go out and get MORE people to sign it. He needs us to contact our Congresspeople and let them know of our concerns and tell them to INCREASE FUNDING for these programs.:up:

BONO NEEDS US TO HELP HIM - HE CAN'T DO IT ALONE.

It's great that we give Bono our vocal support - but are we up to the challenge of giving Bono and the millions of desparately poor and suffering people he speaks of our VISIBLE SUPPORT by doing all that we can to MAKE POVERTY HISTORY?

I hope the answer for you is YES! :wink:

There really is no time to waste.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

http://www.whiteband.org

To all of the other Americans, get on your representatives' cases! Fire off those e-mails! I'll be sending mine my views. My Congressman, Republican Spencer Bachus, supports debt relief, so he's open to all of this stuff. This is not a partisan issue at all, it's the patriotic thing for us Americans to do because it's helping our country by keeping us safe and secure while it helps the security and safety of the world. We're all in this together.

Last edited:

Hi!

Part of my writing today called "The Answer".......

Why are people so insensitive
like it's only they that matter
and not the rest of the World
Seems we're all here together
under one umbrella
I think it's named humanity.
Why can't we all fit under it . . .
I wish I had the answer
for all the problems on Earth.

-----------------

I wish I could right all the wrongs.....I wish a magic wand could cure AIDS and change hunger to food......I wish......I wish children did not get sick........

and then I think about a quote from The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers...

"even the smallest person can change the course of the future".

carol
wizard2c
:|

Jamila said:
II hope the answer for you is YES! :wink:

There really is no time to waste.

:yes: Of course. I joined last year, when I first heard about it.

I believe in this movement and I think Europe and America should be united as one so we can win this cause.

I love Bono, but he's barking up the wrong tree here.

The problem isn't Bush or your government (however heinous I happen to find both with respect to their conduct re: Africa).

It is the utter complacency of the middle class, which doesn't care about anything so long as they have their leased SUV parked out front and a tax break every couple of years.

Your complacent middle class is not allowing your politicians to do anything. It's the ugly truth, and as much as I dislike GWB personally, I don't think it's fair to stick him with the blame when probably 80% of the population is utterly resistant to any kind of change in this regard.

anitram said:
I love Bono, but he's barking up the wrong tree here.

It is the utter complacency of the middle class, which doesn't care about anything so long as they have their leased SUV parked out front and a tax break every couple of years.

there are plently of middle class people who care and take action.
When I was middle class, I cared and gave money and did various actions on different issues. I was taught by my parents who were themselves 1st gen Americans who were poorish growing up, but grew into middle class status.

I am poor at this time, but i still care, and try to educate people and do what I can in between the diffculties that caused me to become poor in the first place.

Most of my friends poor or middle class do care, and try to help- each in their various ways. So please don't make such a sweeping statement.

As for Bush---he IS a selfish and more uncarinbg man than not. As so are many [not all] republicans and certainly some democrats..

Why. Because to them...have to be the 'deserving'type of poor person. If you're not- under their definitions...then.....too bad.

Jesus never made any such distinctions about what poor were deserving, and who were not.

This all stems mostly from the calvanist tradition in America that says work/wealth=godliness=deservingness. If you are poor then you do not equal godliness=deservingness.

great article!!! "snottiness is the new patriotism". isnt this true? as of late, i think so. but Americans are truly generous people, arent they? i need to get back on the ball and get more signatures on my data pettition, myself. thanks for the boost bono!

Back
Top Bottom