Year end results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

It's the end of the year so everyone is starting to look back. The chart-watchers are also in their element, as it is time for their year-end lists. The Netherlands is off course no exception. Unfortunately, I think the U2 content this year is quite minimal (I had expected more).

Anyway, U2 makes the top 100 of best selling singles in 2002. As there was only 1 U2 song released this year it's no wonder that it's Electrical Storm. While starting very well with a #4 position it soon started to drop. It ends the year still in the charts, but only 8 weeks count for the year-end list. Electrical Storm thus charts at #73.

The song is also found on the airplay 100 of 2002. Not only that, but there is also a second U2 song! Walk On was released at the end of last year. While also not a very big hit for U2-standards it did have a second life on the radio. Thus Walk On reaches #60 on the airplay chart. Electric Storm almost closes the list as it is on #98.

Finally, there are the album charts. In the beginning of the year ATYCLB and The Best Of 1980-1990 were still charting. I'd hoped they sold enough to deserve a position on the year-end list. Unfortunately, it was not supposed to be. Both albums did not sell enough. What's left is the second best of. It entered the charts at #1 and has stayed in the top 6 since. In that light I think a #24 position is also a bit disappointing. Nevertheless, there is a U2 album in the top 100 of best selling albums of 2002. Hopefully, U2 will keep its presence is 2003.

For those wanting to know: The Ketchup Song was the best selling single of 2002 (with Shakira's Whenever, Wherever as #2), Dutch artist Marco Borsato had the best-selling album with his compilation Onderweg (with Shakira's Laundry Service at #2; it's the third year in a row a Dutch album had the highest sales in a year and it's the fourth time this artist had the highest sales of an album in a year). Shakira can find comfort in one thing though, Whenever, Wherever was the most-played song on Dutch radio in 2002.

Next year should be interesting as there are going to be many changes, but more of that later in another post when it has become relevant.

Happy holidays!

Marty

ATYCLB came in at #68 in the USA for 2002. ATYCLB sold about 750,000 copies in the USA in 2002. Its total in the USA is now over 4 million.

Back
Top Bottom