Why is Kelly Clarkson Kicking U2's Ass? (In the U.S)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm getting this ad at the top of this page...

imgad

Now that's marketing. :doh:

Bastards.

I just threw up in my mouth a little :huh:, who on earth put the work suck in a song? and i mean used in the context its used in.

doctorwho, you said perfectly what is the difference between u2 anda teen pop star in us hot 100...

Perez Hilton, possibly the dumbest man alive, fails to recognize the following:

1) U2 members are nearing 50. For them to still have a song sell so well and be a #1 hit on Triple A radio shows their relevance. If Clarkson sells this well in 25 years, then I'll be impressed. And if Perez Hilton is ever relevant (other than basking in the glory or failure of others), I'll be even more impressed. I went to his website twice - worst website ever.

2) GOYB was available FOR FREE. Ask Radiohead about how well "In Rainbows" sold when they gave it away. U2 gave this song away as a gift. Why pay for a download when one can hear it for free (and easily convert that stream to an mp3)?

3) Great songs don't always sell well. Sometimes some of the best music is overlooked for songs with disastrous titles like "My Life Would Suck Without You". I listened to 30 seconds of this song - worst 30 seconds of my life. But kids will lap it up. It's a shame - Clarkson is a very talented young lady, yet she's forced to sing this shite in order to be a success. I'd rather have U2 bomb than be reduced to making that type of music to succeed.

4) One person here wrote how U2 "sold out". Whatever. I didn't hear any songs like "Beautiful Day" on the radio back in 2000. I didn't hear any songs like "Vertigo" on the radio in 2004. And experimental tracks like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars" hardly suggest a band so desperate for a hit, they will create only the perfect pop tune. And it's because U2 do NOT always connect with the mainstream that they don't always have the huge hits. They stand out, which helps them, but they are also so different, which hurts. But I'd rather U2 continue to stand out, than blend in. There's tons of songs like Clarkson's right now. No one will remember it next year. But people still remember "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo". GOYB may not be one of those songs to remember, but if it sets the tone for NLOTH the way "The Fly" did for AB, then it was a good move for U2.

5) U2 makes songs that are meant more for HOT A/C or Modern Rock charts, not the Hot 100. And good for them - because I haven't listened to the Hot 100 since I was 16. But it's those same teens and preteens that will rush to buy Clarkson's song. The people that listen to music on alternative charts don't rush out to buy the latest crap from the "flavor of the month".

6) GOYB is simply not radio-friendly. It doesn't have that instant hook that will cause people to swarm to it. U2 gambled, and probably expected more so-so results (ala "The Fly"). But it is an impressive gamble. Far better to throw something unique out there and show the world they can be still on the edge, than just a cookie-cutter hit that radio will love, but will be forgotten in a few months.

7) U2 has always been about album sales. I would be really surprised if U2's new album didn't outsell Clarkson's. She may have a few big hits, which people will buy on iTunes, but people will rush to purchase the new U2 album, because they know the real gems aren't the songs U2 has on the radio.

8) U2 is an international band. They are from Ireland. And as a result, they often have huge success in Europe. Perez Hilton needs to realize there is a world outside of the U.S. Heck, U2 aren't even opening their next tour in the U.S. That alone should say tons! Just because a song is a modest hit in the U.S., it hardly means it didn't soar elsewhere.

So let Perez Hilton have his flamboyant fun. In the end, it'll be Bono and U2 laughing all the way to the bank.

All good points... and hey, one of U2's last "bombs" was this if they make another "bomb" like that, I wouldn't be disappointed at all!

2) GOYB was available FOR FREE. Ask Radiohead about how well "In Rainbows" sold when they gave it away. U2 gave this song away as a gift. Why pay for a download when one can hear it for free (and easily convert that stream to an mp3)?

Radiohead offered their album at any price. People had the choice to pay nothing, yet Radiohead still got paid for the downloads, AND the regular-priced album debuted at #1 in the US even after Radiohead gave it away 3 months earlier. That is a sign of a rock-solid music offering. Forget comparing U2 to Clarkson. Come March, if U2 fails to grab the #1 spot, Perez Hilton will really have something to write about.

Radiohead offered their album at any price. People had the choice to pay nothing, yet Radiohead still got paid for the downloads, AND the regular-priced album debuted at #1 in the US even after Radiohead gave it away 3 months earlier. That is a sign of a rock-solid music offering. Forget comparing U2 to Clarkson. Come March, if U2 fails to grab the #1 spot, Perez Hilton will really have something to write about.

Then in contrast to Radiohead, U2 did not ask fans to pay for this song. It was a flat out gift (and yeah, maybe it's a stream, but it's so easy to convert that to an mp3). If one did want to pay, iTunes was there.

While I know U2 won't give away their album like that, it is appreciated that at least the lead single was advertised that way.

As for the album being #1... unless there's some major competition that week that we don't know about, U2 should claim the top spot.

But is it really that important? ATYCLB peaked at #3. It went on to sell 4.2M albums in the U.S. "Pop" hit #1 in the U.S. It went on to sell 1.5M copies in the U.S. So the album that didn't hit #1 sold almost 3x as many copies.

In the movie industry, there's a list of big hit movies that never reached #1. The biggest made over $200M at the U.S. box office! Yet, we could compare them to tons of #1 films that didn't even hit $40M.

#1 means a lot in sports, but in other areas, it's more of an honor. So if U2 don't hit #1, but their album still sells 3-4M copies (and given the era we're in, not many albums sell more than this), I'd be thrilled. Let Perez have his fun bashing U2 again, because ultimately he'll be the fool (well, he is a fool already, but moreso).

I agree with everything you have said in this thread, Doctorwho. :up:

Superb.

Would you guys lump Kelly, Avril, Pink, Britney, Ashlee, Miley, Hilary, Lindsay, and Katy Perry all in the same grouping- given their respective musical styles?

Why or why not?

DoctorWho, i think you are my alter-ego, because everything you wrote were in my thought. :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Is Perez Hilton a man or woman? Or may be a mixture:wink::wink::wink:

All good points... and hey, one of U2's last "bombs" was this if they make another "bomb" like that, I wouldn't be disappointed at all!

Woohoo that would be great. This song/video is good shit! They still havent topped that. If I had to go back to last the song I REALLY REALLY liked, I will have to go back to this one, 1997!

GOYB drops to 96 on the BB hot 100

GOYB drops to 96 on the BB hot 100

Drops to 119 on the airplay chart despite an increase in plays

I'm guessing that when the album is released (and leading up to it) there will be a lot more airplay. Not so sure about download sales of the single, though...

I love the video for "Please" - but never a big fan of the song. I love the lyrics, but something about the music made the song come across agonizingly slow. U2 have done that basic theme so much better, both prior and after "Please", with songs like SBS, "Bullet..." and "Love & Peace".

But I know lots love "Please". For me, I think it's better as an "album secret". It wasn't a single type of song. But by being a single, we did get this deluxe video. :love:

ive got to be honest this is my fave song at the moment, a real comeback after her last album pretty much bombed. Breakaway was a fantastic album, sold about the same as bomb last time round. though this time i think U2 will comfortably be the bigger seller.

Perez Hilton, come on.....there are three million people living in the U.S. U2 is quite popular and so is Kelly. What is wrong with liking all sorts of music?

Back
Top Bottom