Week 2: Vertigo #45 on Hot 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
"Vertigo" barely moved on the Hot 100, but at least it did go up as opposed to down. I was hoping it would crack the Top 40, but oh well. It's #45 this week on the Hot 100

It does break into the Top 15 on the Mainstream Rock charts, hitting #12 from #27 last week.

And it jumps to #4 on the Modern Rock charts, from #18.

I think for it to hit the Top 40 on the Hot 100, it needs a bit more crossover.

I still haven't heard it on the radio (although I only listen to the radio about 30 minutes a day).

Isn't #4 on the Modern Rock charts better than Beautiful Day did? I could be wrong but I think it only reached #5.

We could at least be looking at a #1 for the Rock charts.

I don't see Vertigo going much higher on the Hot 100 Chart. However, if it can crack the Top 40 it will be a huge help because it will make a lot of "top 40 countdown" shows and get more attention that way.

TAKE TWO MINUTES AND CALL/EMAIL YOUR LOCAL RADIO STATIONS AND REQUEST VERTIGO NOW!!!

Call the right stations though. Call your local Top 40 (CHR) stations. The Britney Spears radio stations. I'm not sure they're ven awarw there is stil a band called U2 out there. These are the stations it needs to cross over to. That's why Eminem is so high. What;s his ranking now?

Adam22 said:
Isn't #4 on the Modern Rock charts better than Beautiful Day did? I could be wrong but I think it only reached #5.

We could at least be looking at a #1 for the Rock charts.

You are correct, it did reach just #5. And when it did, the song was only in the 70's on the Hot 100, so it is nice that "Vertigo" is just outside the Top 40.

What I find odd, though, is that there were major jumps in all of the charts for "Vertigo". It increased on all rock charts and even hot adult contemporary. With such dramatic increases, it is a bit surprising to see the song move up one little notch on the Hot 100. One would think that such increases would have at least propelled the song into the Top 40!

Green Day has occuppied that #1 spot on the Modern Rock charts for some time. The #2 and #3 songs have not been able to displace it. I wonder if "Vertigo" will be the song that finally does! If so, this will give U2 their first #1 song on the Modern Rock charts since 1997!

Last week, VERTIGO made it to #35 on the "Adult top 40 chart". I have not seen where it is this week yet.

I was also surprised to see so little movement on the HOT 100. Perhaps VERTIGO is up against a "WALL" of airplay that requires more than just being #1 on the rock charts to break through.

VERTIGO's first week is the 4th highest debut on the HOT 100 ever for a U2 song.

Discotheque came in at #10
HMTMKMKM came in at #22
Staring at the Sun came in at #30

STING2 said:
Last week, VERTIGO made it to #35 on the "Adult top 40 chart". I have not seen where it is this week yet.

I was also surprised to see so little movement on the HOT 100. Perhaps VERTIGO is up against a "WALL" of airplay that requires more than just being #1 on the rock charts to break through.

VERTIGO's first week is the 4th highest debut on the HOT 100 ever for a U2 song.

Discotheque came in at #10
HMTMKMKM came in at #22
Staring at the Sun came in at #30

I was thinking the same thing, Sting. Perhaps "Vertigo" is as high as it could be now, despite some major jumps in air time, only because all the songs above it have cross-over and are receiving a LOT more air time.

One bad thing about the songs you presented above is there limited movement after their debut. "Discotheque" peaked on its debut week at #10 then fell to #12 the following week and declined sharply thereafter. "Hold Me...Kill Me" peaked at #16 (where it stayed for 4 weeks) and "Staring..." peaked at #26 (where it stayed for 4 weeks).

In other words, despite the big debuts, these songs didn't race up the charts much more (if at all). In contrast, while "Beautiful Day" started low on the charts, it worked its way up to #21 over weeks and weeks. I'm hoping "Vertigo's" strong debut doesn't mean it won't climb much more. I'd at least like to see U2 get a Top 40 hit out of it.

doctorwho said:

I was thinking the same thing, Sting. Perhaps "Vertigo" is as high as it could be now, despite some major jumps in air time, only because all the songs above it have cross-over and are receiving a LOT more air time.

One bad thing about the songs you presented above is there limited movement after their debut. "Discotheque" peaked on its debut week at #10 then fell to #12 the following week and declined sharply thereafter. "Hold Me...Kill Me" peaked at #16 (where it stayed for 4 weeks) and "Staring..." peaked at #26 (where it stayed for 4 weeks).

In other words, despite the big debuts, these songs didn't race up the charts much more (if at all). In contrast, while "Beautiful Day" started low on the charts, it worked its way up to #21 over weeks and weeks. I'm hoping "Vertigo's" strong debut doesn't mean it won't climb much more. I'd at least like to see U2 get a Top 40 hit out of it.

On the HOT 100 Airplay chart, Vertigo is at #41 this week!

I think what this means is that there is going to be slower process now in regards to improving chart position for VERTIGO. The video does not come out until October 21, but I think it will help. Its doing well on the rock charts and that will energize the base to get out there and buy the album the first week.

doctorwho said:

So this means that in the US, the radiostations decide by themselves (by airplay) the chartposition! That's not very democratic and fair!
From the fact that Vertigo is at no. 1 in all the download top ten's you can conclude it's the one of the most popular songs at this moment. and that's in spite of the low airplay!!

I don't think I've posted on the chart thread since late 2002, so it's nice to be back in familiar, fact-based territory.

I think "Vertigo" will do better than #41 and #45, because of the video release. Granted it's a cool video that will get serious airplay on VH1 and MTV2; unlike "Elevation" or "Walk On", or even "Stuck...". The fact that it's reached so high is purely hipe. U2's name alone would give it an eventual place in the Top 100, but considering it's debut is higher than "Beautiful Day", I'd say it's video will help it crack the Top 40, but no higher than maybe #34 or #35 on the Hot 100. I'm often wrong, so who knows?

It doesn't have the same mainstream appeal of "Beautiful Day", but it's similar to many rock hits of the present.

I fear the only obstacle will be their image. 40 something rock-stars rarely reach the top of the charts unless they're doing a duet with a younger star.

Back
Top Bottom