VH1 loves U2 - single should be released in U.S.!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Electrical Storm moves up three more spots to #10 in their Top 20 Video Countdown this week. It's gaining momentum, and it reminds me of the fact that Beautiful Day was all over the video charts before it started climbing up some of the airplay charts. ES is a good song - I like it, and I realize it's not the best U2 song - but it's still WAY better than the crap stinking up the radio waves these days.

The song may turn out to be a mild hit due to the video airplay. I think it will reach number 1 on the VH1 countdown. If U2 would release the single in the U.S., then ES would be charting much higher - especially the version with BAD/40/Streets as a "B-side".

I still don't understand their singles strategy. I loved PopHeart - the Please EP - and most U2 singles are taking that format now anyway. Beautiful Day would have been a top 10 hit had the single been available. I know what the Edge said about not needing singles and that singles charts aren't important...but the band sure does go to great lengths to release them outside of the U.S. I think there is hesitation to release them in the U.S. because of the chance that they won't chart high even with the CD...but if charts don't matter, why not do it for the fans anyway? Along the way, one or two of the better songs would probably get them a Top 10 hit.

Enough rambling. Ordering import ES CD2 now.

Singles aren't popular at all here in the U.S. It just isn't really a tradition to go out and by them here as you probably know. I'm still not sure why the band doesn't release them in the States though. It may have to do with the fact that the Pop singles from Last Night On Earth onward didn't do too well sales wise. Still, Pearl Jam fans rush out and by their singles which are released locally, so I'm sure the same would happen for U2 fans. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom