How does Vertigo compare with past U2 lead singles...or any single, for that matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
I know BD won 3 grammies, and for me personally, I like BD better than Vertigo, but was it nearly as popular in the world as Vertigo is? I know folks will site the i-pod marketing blitz as a big reason behind Vertigo's success, but I think we're past that, and if the song wasn't any good, the i-pod thing would have worked against it.

It did stay at #1 on Modern Rock in the U.S. for 4 consecutive weeks. However, it's run in the overall singles charts in many other countries has been very impressive, and the GLOBAL CHART sums up the song's success...as it's run just in the past 6 weeks has been 10-2-3-2-2-2 (or very close to that). This GLOBAL CHART counts single sales and airplay, and the jump from 10 to 2 happened when the single was released for sale.

Given that music formats have changed so much in the world with the rise of Hip-hop, Rap & manufactured music, I doubt a U2 single can ever make it to the top of the U.S. Billboard 200 again. Add this change to the fact that U2 don't release singles for sale in the U.S. anymore (besides digital), and we can assume that all U2 singles since Discotheque have charted on airplay only in the U.S. Discotheque made it to #10 on the Billboard 200 because it was released as a single for sale, but it faded fast after cracking the top 10.

Given all this info, would Desire be the last lead single from U2 to have this type of worldwide success? I don't know how long we've had the GLOBAL CHART, but I do remember it was around for ATYCLB, and I don't remember any single from that album having the worldwide success we've seen with Vertigo. If Discotheque was "one and done" globally, Numb was more or less a video hit, and early reaction to The Fly was mixed, then how does Vertigo compare to Desire?

I am not asking which song was the best, but just wondering if anyone knows how Vertigo stacks up against other lead singles from U2 based on CHART PERFORMAMNCE...and if someone knows...how does it stack up against ALL other U2 singles based on CHART PERFORMANCE?

What a Christmas present from U2 to the Interference chart watchers...with posts and questions about HTDAAB being on top of the world, Vertigo ruling the airwaves, and potentially unprecedented chart success for U2. Merry Christmas to U2, too!

(...waits on Dr. WHO or STING2 to tap into their extensive chart archives for an answer...)

Suppose they released "With or Without You" now, I think it could go to number 1 now just like it did 17 years ago... It wouldn't be easy but it could happen... I think that's the only U2 song that could go to number 1 at this moment. Well, I also hope they could write one such song again in the future.

Comparing Vertigo and Beautiful Day, I think Beautiful Day reached a wider audience and was a more successful song overall. However, they are both successful singles and maybe the two most successful singles in the last 10 years (and that doesn't come from chart success).

To make a point about U2's single success I could divide U2's career into three periods.

period 1: time until 1986 more or less. During this period U2 singles would chart comparably low but have a big effect. Some of these songs would have been huge hits had they been released after U2's big mainstream appeal.

period 2: joshua tree period
U2 is THE hot band in the world and ANYTHING they do becomes a success, as mainstream appeal as it gets. Singles just top the charts like that :)

period 3: 90's and on
Band has a big steady fanbase and a big name so for most singles there will be at least some success and for many a big success.

No comparison can be made between different periods so I would only compare success between the singles in the same period. You just can't compare things when U2 were an upcoming band, when U2 was really HOT and now.

Back
Top Bottom