Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Singles don't have a second wind, like albums. There won't be a comeback for this song. America doesn't like it.

I would argue that America hasn't even heard it.

If I wasn't on Interference, I would have no idea U2 had a new song out. I didn't catch the 20 second clip during the Super Bowl and I've seen no real ads (other than iTunes). If I'm not on iTunes, I wouldn't know.

Plus, as was said many times, the song is available for free. Why pay for a download if it's free?

What is good is that the airplay is increasing, even if it's not going up on the charts. It just means other songs are also getting more airplay (very indicative of today's radio - select songs get tons of airplay, and new artists really have to fight to get heard).

Hot 100 #96
37-96

Triple A #1
1-1

Hot Modern Rock Tracks #6
8-6

Alternative #6
8-6

Active Rock #32
34-32

Hot AC #32
35-32

Vox

While the song dropped big on the Hot 100 (and this was predicted due to the decline in sales), it increased on all the other charts. Other songs, like "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", which charted based on sales, also saw these slow increases.

While GOYB may never reach those heights or be resurrected, I'm willing to bet that the Grammies will give this song a big boost on the Hot 100 and help the upcoming album.

If U2 do create a TV ad (ala "Vertigo") I'd actually rather see it for a more radio-friendly single that could have some great shelf-life. GOYB is just the intro to NLOTH. Let a second and third single do the work (like with MW and "One" for AB). The past few albums have relied quite a bit on that first single.

I would argue that America hasn't even heard it.

If I wasn't on Interference, I would have no idea U2 had a new song out. I didn't catch the 20 second clip during the Super Bowl and I've seen no real ads (other than iTunes). If I'm not on iTunes, I wouldn't know.

Plus, as was said many times, the song is available for free. Why download a song that's free?

What is good is that the airplay is increasing, even if it's not going up on the charts. It just means other songs are also getting more airplay (very indicative of today's radio - select songs get tons of airplay, and new artists really have to fight to get heard).

The steep fall in downloads has had a lot to do with it. Currently Boots is not even in the top 100 downloaded songs in the ROCK section of iTunes. And I don't really buy your argument about it being given away for free because you can go on youtube and listen to almost any song in the world, but people are still buying them from iTunes...

I'm still holding out hope that with a Grammy performance and a video release, the song will continue to hold its fairly strong radio position for a while. I agree with you though that most people haven't heard the song yet. Vertigo was everywhere.

That's right, cjboog, EVERY song is practically free now because you can listen to it streaming from somewhere.

Also, itunes is THE leader in digital music sales, with so many people owning an ipod or iphone or itouch. Hardly anybody buys CD singles anymore. This isn't the 90s. People buy digitally so they can listen on-the-go because we can't play the stream in the car or in the subway. As for promotion, GOYB is being played on the radio as the charts show, but why don't people buy it? Because they don't want it!

As for promotion, GOYB is being played on the radio as the charts show, but why don't people buy it? Because they don't want it!

It's kind sad but you might be right on this. It IS getting some solid airplay, we know that. It just isn't getting downloaded hardly at all.

The jury is out for me...Gotta wait and see what kind of impact the Grammys and video have if any...I'm cautiously optimistic that it will rebound a bit.

What genius designed the promotion plan for this single/album? Whoever it is should be fired.

So in terms of airplay. its doing great on modern rock. It just needs that push in the mainstream.

I remember everyone barking when U2 'sold out' with the ipod commercial.... this is interesting now everyone is barking due to lack of promotion. I agree the song needs more promotion, not for commercial reasons, but boots deserves to be doing better. Its an awesome song that grows, I didnt think it was that great on first impression but the layers keep revealing themselves....

nobody knows how many downloads GOYB sold in Us the last week?

Not sure where it is on the chart but if it's out of the top 200 it'd be less than 8000

So week ones fans buy it
Week two radio play starts picking up
Hopefully casual fans start buying it next

not well...i think the song isn't radiofriendly for the radio here in Italy...only Virgin radio (= it play only rock music) play it much...

#38 in top 40 global chart on mediatraffic.de - 70.000 points
(last week #31 with 89.000)

that really is awful. from memory vertigo was #2 (behind destinys child) for about 6 weeks.

i dont see how GOYB is so low, with Eurpoean airplay and still fair download sales across europe.

this song appears to have bombed somewhat.
i dont think it has promoted the forthcoming album the way Vertigo did with HTDAAB. and sometimes when a first single doesnt do that well, radio tend to overlook future singles. (sad but thats the way things are now)

Yeah, but I'm still betting on the VivaLaVida techinique.

U2 in Canada always performs well on the Hot 100(called Top 40 in other countries). GOYB reached #3 before this week, which is great but they have now nose dived to #26.:down: Very surprising.

Since With Or Without You, U2 in Canada have always gone 1 or 2 on an opening single except The Fly #3 and Numb(I have no idea). I don't know what this means, because it could be good or bad but I do notice a difference on people's opinion of U2 as of late, and it's not as rosy as the last two albums.

Personally I like that because it means U2 are going a route that I prefer. Experimental and breaking the boundaries.

U2 in Canada always performs well on the Hot 100(called Top 40 in other countries). GOYB reached #3 before this week, which is great but they have now nose dived to #26.:down: Very surprising.

Since With Or Without You, U2 in Canada have always gone 1 or 2 on an opening single except The Fly #3 and Numb(I have no idea). I don't know what this means, because it could be good or bad but I do notice a difference on people's opinion of U2 as of late, and it's not as rosy as the last two albums.

Personally I like that because it means U2 are going a route that I prefer. Experimental and breaking the boundaries.

U2 always topped the Canadian singles chart which was just physical sales and they have been low for years.

it's not surprising they're not performing as well on the Hot 100

that really is awful. from memory vertigo was #2 (behind destinys child) for about 6 weeks.

i dont see how GOYB is so low, with Eurpoean airplay and still fair download sales across europe.

this song appears to have bombed somewhat.
i dont think it has promoted the forthcoming album the way Vertigo did with HTDAAB. and sometimes when a first single doesnt do that well, radio tend to overlook future singles. (sad but thats the way things are now)

Vertigo debuted at #36 took made it to #10 in the 5th week and from 6 bounced around between #2 and #3 for a couple of week then settled in at #2. But again, Vertigo had huge promotion with the ipod commercial and GOYB hasn't had that yet. Even so GOYB actually came in higher in week #1 than Vertigo did.

Besides, U2 has never been known as a singles band. They get more airplay on AOR than top 40. They really haven't done glowingly in Top 40 except for Beautiful Day and Vertigo which they deliberately did heavy marketing for as if they were a new band not an established artist. It is too early to compare this release to those as the promotion hasn't even really begun.

Dana

P.S. Here's the link for the first week Vertigo was on the Global Charts. You can walk forward from here using the next prompt at the bottom.

GLOBAL TRACK CHART

Vertigo debuted at #36 took made it to #10 in the 5th week and from 6 bounced around between #2 and #3 for a couple of week then settled in at #2. But again, Vertigo had huge promotion with the ipod commercial and GOYB hasn't had that yet. Even so GOYB actually came in higher in week #1 than Vertigo did.

Besides, U2 has never been known as a singles band. They get more airplay on AOR than top 40. They really haven't done glowingly in Top 40 except for Beautiful Day and Vertigo which they deliberately did heavy marketing for as if they were a new band not an established artist. It is too early to compare this release to those as the promotion hasn't even really begun.

Dana

P.S. Here's the link for the first week Vertigo was on the Global Charts. You can walk forward from here using the next prompt at the bottom.

GLOBAL TRACK CHART

But Vertigo debuted on the global chart a long time before its release.
GOYB has been out across much of the world without even making the global top40, and is already falling. though im hoping the UK release will put GOYB in the global top 10

Having just checked i was actually wrong, and vertigo was only at #10 when HTDAAB was released, it actually rose to #2 after HTDAAB's release. and stayed in the top 3 till end of january 05. great staying power.

maybe premature to start writing GOYB off?

Having just checked i was actually wrong, and vertigo was only at #10 when HTDAAB was released, it actually rose to #2 after HTDAAB's release. and stayed in the top 3 till end of january 05. great staying power.
maybe premature to start writing GOYB off?

yes, i think so...

do you know how many dowloads sold Vertigo on Us Itunes?

But Vertigo debuted on the global chart a long time before its release.
GOYB has been out across much of the world without even making the global top40, and is already falling. though im hoping the UK release will put GOYB in the global top 10

I'm not sure what you mean by not making the Global top 40 as I said it debuted at #31 about a week after it was released to radio and with little or no promotion.

GLOBAL TRACK CHART

Please notice that though the date on this week is Feb 7 the next week is out already. Yes Boots has dropped but as I've said there has been little or no promotion to this point.

Dana

It is out of the top 50 here in Oz. I havent heard it on radio since its debut. I hope it bounces back, but that has never happened with a U2 single here. With poor promotion, delays and stuff ups with the video and not releasing the cd earlier I think Boots never had a chance.

This is by no means an "official chart" but Boots is the #1 music video for today and #7 for the week (theres no other video above it which is less than a week old) on myspace.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.charts&mastercategory=300&category=307

Today:
1. U2 - Get On Your Boots (83,319)
2. Sean Kristropher - That was then, this is now (64,790)
3. Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck (17,697)
:wink:

Also, the official boots video (universalmusicgroup's posting) is #4 on youtube's music video chart for today.

Makes me kinda wonder who decides the radio playback charts because U2 isn't even close to #4 overall or #1 rock on radio.

Back
Top Bottom