Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know the result on the Hot 100 yet? It isn't in the top 50 but that is all I can view on the Billboard website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U2.com | Official News

Five Nights with Letterman

The band will be guests on the Late Show with David Letterman on Monday March 2nd... and then again on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Coinciding with the worldwide release of No Line on the Horizon, it's the first time a musical guest has performed an entire week on the CBS late night broadcast.

Monday, March 2-Friday, March 6 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

a good chance to promote NO line on the Horizion in Usa...

:shocked:

Now that's some promotion! I wonder if it's a bit too much promotion! Look at all the flack U2 received for one song at the Grammies!

But, as I've written several times now, no longer are we in the 80's or even 90's, where the mere thought of new U2 would get radio stations drooling. For a band that has had numerous Top 100 hits and plenty of Top 40 hits, as well as #1 albums that have sold 50-60M copies the U.S., one would think U2 would be quite welcome on the radio. Alas, the powers that be at radio seem to think differently, and want to shove Clarkson, Beyonce, Kanye and Timberlake down our throats.

So U2 have to do promotion. And far better than having a commercial is this Letterman gig. Yes, it's a bit of overkill, but as it's not a commercial, it has more street cred.

Let's hoping it works!

on mediatraffic.de top 40 tracks
#40 Get on your Boots (70.000 points)
chart run 31-38-40 (3 weeks on chart)

In Japan Hot 100: chart run 10 - 10 - 15 (3 weeks on chart)
In Italy still #1 in digital downloads

#40 on mediatraffic. i really dont understand its poor performance here, when in europe airplay must be massive. and downloads also high. maybe UK release on sunday will help on mediatraffic. im shocked to see Eminem debut at #1 though! its number 4 in the uk. i think boots will be #1 here!

Billboard's Feb 21, 2009 edition (not currently subscribed; can only see Top 10 or so of each genre. However, U2 is listed as being on 5 total charts):

Triple A:
TW LW TOTWKS Song Artist
1 1 3 Get on your boots U2

Hot Modern Tracks:
TW LW TOTWKS Song Artist
5 6 3 Get on your boots U2

Top Hits Online (THO), a U.S. chart the updates weekly and measures the Top 100downloads, streams, online radio plays, etc., just updated. For the week ending Feb 7:

70 *NEW* 1 ***** HIGHEST DEBUT *****
Get On Your Boots, U2
Lyrics | Reviews | Listen / Buy | iTunes | MP3 70 17.1

Other charts from around the world:

Top 20 Singles chart in Belgium, through Feb 13:

19 - 1 "Get On Your Boots" U2

Boots just needs to be steady on the charts for the next 2.5 weeks and then the Letterman appearances should give them a nice bump.

great promotion on letterman. the US is probably the only country where they will need to promote the album, everywhere else will see huge sales without any.

what kind of viewing numbers does letterman get?

average of 3 million, oh, i thought this show was much more than that 10M +
and its likely that it will be the same 3million watchin U2 every day. maybe they be better off doing different shows?

The amount of viewers is so low because his show comes on late. The only shows that get over 10 million viewers are popular dramas / sitcoms, award shows and American Idol.

There will be newspaper articles about this that will generate more awarness for the album and I think that will pay off more than just the 3.5 million people watching every night.

The amount of viewers is so low because his show comes on late. The only shows that get over 10 million viewers are popular dramas / sitcoms, award shows and American Idol.

There will be newspaper articles about this that will generate more awarness for the album and I think that will pay off more than just the 3.5 million people watching every night.

Yes, I would think with the publicity this whole thing is getting, the ratings will be going up quiet a bit. And I don't think the same 3.5 million are watching Letterman every night. I think there's probably a big chunk of that number that is maybe watching every now and then. I watch Letterman when I have time, a couple times a month. I don't know anyone that watches him every night, but a lot that check out his show periodically. This will reach much more than just the same block of 3.5 million. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this reaches closer to 10 million people.

maybe 4.5 million watching each night. 2.5 million watching EVERY night and then a different 2 mil watching each other night.

2.5 million + (5 x 2 million) = 12.5 million people.

So you can slice it lots of different ways. It might not be as high as my little equation there, but I think you get the point :wink:

U2 takes a week on David Letterman's 'Late Show' - USATODAY.com -- USA TODAY

U2 Book Letterman Residency For “No Line on the Horizon” Release Week : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily -- ROLLING STONE

U2 to spend a week with David Letterman - Television- msnbc.com -- MSNBC

U2 takes a week on David Letterman's `Late Show' -- YAHOO NEWS

U2 Takes A Week On David Letterman's `Late Show', U2 In Residence For A Week On David Letterman's `Late Show' - CBS News -- CBS NEWS

Letterman Residency on Horizon for U2 - E! Online -- E! ONLINE

The Associated Press: U2 takes a week on David Letterman's `Late Show' -- ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/wire/sns-ap-tv-letterman-u2,0,1249068.story -- L.A. TIMES

washingtonpost.com -- WASHINGTON POST

U2 Plot Five-Night "Letterman" Takeover | Pitchfork -- PITCHFORK

U2 Playing Five Nights On 'Letterman' -- BILLBOARD

U2's five-night Letterman stand: Will you be watching? | PopWatch Blog | EW.com -- ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

This story has been EVERYWHERE. There is no way that with all this news coverage the ratings aren't better than usual for Letterman that week.

EDIT: I'm also finding this story in medium sized publications as well...

The Seattle Times -- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2008736561_aptvlettermanu2.html?syndication=rss
The Minneapolis Star Tribune -- http://www.startribune.com/entertai...ksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUt:aDyaEP:kD:aUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU
The Boston Globe -- http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/article...eek_on_david_lettermans_late_show_1234452685/
The Chicago Tribune -- http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-ap-tv-letterman-u2,0,1866406.story

It's literally been covered in almost every news outlet in America.

Yes, I would think with the publicity this whole thing is getting, the ratings will be going up quiet a bit. And I don't think the same 3.5 million are watching Letterman every night. I think there's probably a big chunk of that number that is maybe watching every now and then. I watch Letterman when I have time, a couple times a month. I don't know anyone that watches him every night, but a lot that check out his show periodically. This will reach much more than just the same block of 3.5 million. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this reaches closer to 10 million people.

maybe 4.5 million watching each night. 2.5 million watching EVERY night and then a different 2 mil watching each other night.

2.5 million + (5 x 2 million) = 12.5 million people.

So you can slice it lots of different ways. It might not be as high as my little equation there, but I think you get the point :wink:

good assumptions.

looks liek they will be promoting in the UK too.

"U2 have announced they will be playing a special live set for BBC Radio 1 on Friday 27 February. The band, whose new album is out in March, are due to perform a three-track Live Lounge session on Jo Whiley's show at 10 a.m.

Fans of the Irish rockers will also get the chance to witness the special performance. Details of how to apply for tickets will be announced during Jo Whiley's show on 23 February.

Later that day, the band will chat with Chris Evans at 5 p.m. on BBC Radio 2. "

although last time radio1 went to dublin for the day, somewhat a smaller affair this time.

Boots is up to 16 on the itunes chart in Ireland

If it doesn't rise this is a pretty big flop :lol:

How is it? i dont get that, as there are physical copys of the song out there, so wouldnt it be better to wait until we see those sales aswell as itunes before laughing about it flopping?

you almost seem to want to see it fail :|

And apparantley they are selling the physical CD and VINYL for 99c, with a b-side, which one do you think people would go for?

a good idea - for me - the release of the single of GOYB with the videoclip and NLOTH2 in UK form 24 february...

Boots is #1 in TMF Superchart (based on downloads) coming from 27 in the 4th week.

Uh, in NL :)

Beyond actual viewers, there will be hard-core and casual fans who will TIVO the entire week of Letterman; I already have...

I also would suspect the performances will be up on Youtube each day, and who knows, some of the performances may be released as supplemental videos to be played on Fuse, VH-1, etc.

Regardless, yea, it will be a much bigger overall promotion than just showing Letterman Viewers a late-night performance from U2. So far, Boots has exceded my own expectations on the charts, live at the Grammy's, and the video will appeal to many folks. The positive press from the full-album reviews has me excited, and it should help sales, too.

How is it? i dont get that, as there are physical copys of the song out there, so wouldnt it be better to wait until we see those sales aswell as itunes before laughing about it flopping?

you almost seem to want to see it fail :|

And apparantley they are selling the physical CD and VINYL for 99c, with a b-side, which one do you think people would go for?

Seeing as nearly the entire market is now digital sales, relying on Physical sales might not be enough to get them top of the charts. Oasis topped the physical chart with their last single but missed the top ten.

At 58 in the UK itunes right now
Up to 13 on airplay
And 28 on video airplay

Back
Top Bottom