14 million in sales for.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
.......U2 The Best Of 1980-1990. U2.com just reported the figure in an article about Buffalo's being used to advertise the Best of 1990-2000 in England.

So 14 million in global sales. Over 6 million of that figure comes from Europe according to the IFPI while over 3 million comes from the USA according to RIAA. That leaves around 4-5 million from other area's of the world.

STING2 said:
.......U2 The Best Of 1980-1990. U2.com just reported the figure in an article about Buffalo's being used to advertise the Best of 1990-2000 in England.

So 14 million in global sales. Over 6 million of that figure comes from Europe according to the IFPI while over 3 million comes from the USA according to RIAA. That leaves around 4-5 million from other area's of the world.

Once again I have to wonder who is right? U2.com or another source?

According to the article here, the first "Best Of" sold 16 million copies worldwide. This came from the Daily Telegraph - a Sydney, Australia paper. Since U2.com has been known to have erroneous sales information in the past, which is the right number?

Also, STING2, you might confuse people a bit. Both the "Best of Plus B-Sides" and the "Best Of" have been certified as double platinum. However, since the "b-sides" version was a double CD set, the RIAA counts that twice - meaning that really only 1 million copies were sold. Hence why STING2 said that "only" 3 million copies were sold.

However, it is possible in getting these 14-16 million copies sold numbers, that U2.com or the Daily Telegraph or wherever just went by the number certified as shipped. In that case, 4 million copies were shipped in the U.S.

Well we know 3 to 4 million in sales in the USA. 6 million in sales in Europe. Thats 9-10 million right there. If Sydney is correct, were looking at 6-7 million sold outside Europe and the USA. I think that might be a little high. Either way, we know the album has sold over 14 million copies now.

Dr. Who,

Are you still getting the Soundscan reports? Keep a lookout for ATYCLB this week or next. I discovered that Linkin Parks album was shifted to the Catalog chart in its 104th week rather than week 105. Perhaps the switch takes place in week 104 rather than week 105. Anyways, if you still get the reports from Mellissa, we should know by next week where ATYCLB is on the catalog chart.

14 million.....that's an enormous figure...not saying that its wrong.....imo its correct....but when you think about it.....14 million in 4 years.... :ohmy: that's BIG.

I certainly hope Best of 90s can match up to that (or even beat it :evil: ).

I'm surprised Linkin Park went into the Catalogue charts, i thought they were still well inside the Top 100....but maybe they've fallen down in the last 2 weeks.

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

This is a lot of copies, but nowhere near as much as the new compilation which will sell about 15 million in the first month*........

*If you count each song as one unit, thus the album has 16 units..........I know it's not real or anything, I just wanted to make some people go :eyebrow:

Anyway, Viva El Storm de Electrica!!

Official figure - 13.5m +

According to Island/Universal the sales figure for the first Best Of is 13.5m+, so probably pretty close to 14m. The same article (at youtwo.net) advises that POP sold 6m. Apparently there will be a massive TV campaign in order for this next Best Of to beat the 13.5m figure - the rationale being that 13.5 after a 6m seller was good, so after a 11m seller (ATYCLB) this ought to do even better.

Not sure what this does to estimates of total U2 sales, but on MTV yesterday they quoted 120m records in one programme, and 100m albums in another. Around 20m singles is probably about right - but I think 100m albums is low (and MTV quoted Achtung at 10m - which is around 3/4m light).

Mike

PS same prog reported ATYCLB as the U2 album with most No1 entries - at 31, but lets not open that old argument again.

I don't think Best of's and studio albums are really comparable. A studio album is brand new material which may or may not be liked by the public. Best of's are what the public likes most and typically for most artist, become their biggest sellers over time. U2 still defeats that trend with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.

Back
Top Bottom