Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Doves Cry would be one of my top 5 favorite Prince songs if it had a bass line. One supposedly genius executive decision that has always gone over my head.

Somewhat related: have you heard "Rebirth of the Flesh?" It's a key track off of one of the iterations that led to Sign O the Times. Absolute killer shit that I'm convinced would rank as one of his best tracks had it been given an official release.

Where did you her that track?

It's not on Crystal Ball.

It's on Camille. It took me a bit to track it down, but it's totally worth it. Early versions of "Housequake," "Strange Relationship," and "If I Was Your Girlfriend" are on there, too.

Thanks for the tip.

And here's one in return. If you want to hear some awesome Prince guitar playing, hunt down the collection The Undertaker. It was apparently recorded live with just a 3-piece band (including Prince), and has a studio version of The Ride, which is in a live version on Crystal Ball. There's also a version of Dolphin which wound up on The Gold Experience, and a sick cover of Honky Tonk Women.

Unreleased Prince projects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prince is so good, yet so damn frustrating to deal with, knowing that he's got all of this great unreleased material and that the sound quality of his earlier albums truly are appalling.

INXS is a lame band. I finally listened to Kick, and it's just bombastic rock absurdity with boring arrangements/production and squiggly synthesizers thrown in to date it.

Never Tear Us Apart is a good one though.

I wouldn't cal Kick bad, but they're pretty overrated and not much more than a "fun" group.

Before you pass final judgement, though, I'd check out Welcome To Wherever You Are, which is IMO their best, though it still probably doesn't have the depth you're looking for.

They're like a less-kitchy Duran Duran.

I wouldn't cal Kick bad, but they're pretty overrated and not much more than a "fun" group.

Before you pass final judgement, though, I'd check out Welcome To Wherever You Are, which is IMO their best, though it still probably doesn't have the depth you're looking for.

They're like a less-kitchy Duran Duran.

I will say that I've only heard Kick once and its related singles about a thousand times and never loved them to begin with, so the deck was stacked negatively there. Would be willing to give another album a try, so thanks for the rec.

Zoots would murder me if he was still around. I mean, I don't know if he liked INXS; they just seem like a Zoots band.

I will say that I've only heard Kick once and its related singles about a thousand times and never loved them to begin with, so the deck was stacked negatively there. Would be willing to give another album a try, so thanks for the rec.

Zoots would murder me if he was still around. I mean, I don't know if he liked INXS; they just seem like a Zoots band.

You don't like "Don't Change" or "The One Thing"?

Zoots.

:sad:

OK, completely different unpopular opinion: 154 is my favorite Wire album. I don't know how many of you guys like Wire, but I'm starting to like them pretty well, largely thanks to 154. I wish they emphasized the more abstract, beautiful elements of post-punk than they do on Pink Flag.

Here's another one: Interpol's last album is their best and it's near perfect.

I need to confess something, which contains a U2 setlist spoiler:

I don't really care for One Tree Hill. I think that it is little more than average in the scope of their whole oeuvre. I actually think that the whole second side of JT is below average, with the possible exception of Red Hill Mining Town.

I'm really glad that you folks enjoyed hearing One Tree Hill live so much, though. It seems to be the equivalent of me hearing Please unexpectedly.

OK, completely different unpopular opinion: 154 is my favorite Wire album. I don't know how many of you guys like Wire, but I'm starting to like them pretty well, largely thanks to 154. I wish they emphasized the more abstract, beautiful elements of post-punk than they do on Pink Flag.

154's a killer album. That's been my entry point as well.

I don't really care for One Tree Hill. I think that it is little more than average in the scope of their whole oeuvre. I actually think that the whole second side of JT is below average, with the possible exception of Red Hill Mining Town.

I'm really glad that you folks enjoyed hearing One Tree Hill live so much, though. It seems to be the equivalent of me hearing Please unexpectedly.

:ohmy:

I was just thinking yesterday that I think it's my third fav on the album after Shuttling to Stand Still and Where The Cocks Have No Game.

Your opinion is wrong.

You just signed your own death warrant.

That's why I put it in this thread. :wink:

My appraisal of JT is pretty stereotypical:

1. With or Without You
2. Streets
3. Still Haven't Found
4. Running to Stand Still
5. Bullet the Blue Sky

...then the rest. I used to think that it was a masterpiece, but my appraisal of it has diminished over the years. Perhaps it's due to over-exposure.

iron yuppie said:
I used to think that it was a masterpiece, but my appraisal of it has diminished over the years. Perhaps it's due to over-exposure.

Yet your favorite songs are the ones that have been the most harshly abused by rock and adult alternative radio? Interesting.

Yeah, it's not rational. I just never really feel the impulse to listen to JT as a whole or any of the songs from it anymore, with the exception of Streets live.

It's not one of my fav U2 albums either. I obviously like it it a great deal, but there are many others others I listen to more often. Probably because of how almost overexposed I've been to the big singles, I never find myself wanting to hear to it. Not really their fault by any means, but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom