Sigur Rós Párt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ísjaki :heart:

Sure do hope I'm never asked my favourite Sigur Rós songs in real life. Cos that's gonna be hella embarrassing. I called them 'Sugar Ross' until I saw them live and realised they deserved my utmost respect, not juvenile ridicule.

It's almost 7:30 am here, and I just woke up from a dream that I was in Iceland, at a place called Ísjaki. People were going by in large ships, and they all had treasures with them (gold and jewels and the like).

I think I need to go to Iceland. Or at least listen to Sigur Rós today.

I think Iceland is on the top of the places that I want to visit in the world.

It was day one of a four day festival so I only just got back.

It was great though not as good as the show I saw a couple of months ago. That's mainly because it was a festival: shorter set and worse crowd. The crowd was the most upsetting. At the gig I saw a few months ago the crowd was completely silent during each song but now there was a some murmuring during the quiet parts which makes it harder to lose yourself in the music (if that makes sense :lol:).

I was still blown away by most of the show don't get me wrong. The visuals are spectacular but not that important to me because I listen with my eyes closed most of the time. Jonsi's voice never ceases to amaze me and Untitled #8 is still one of my all-time favorite tracks. New tracks are great live. I also got to see Festival which they didn't play at the other gig.

Setlist
Í Gær
Yfirborð
Brennisteinn
Glósóli
Sæglópur
Varúð
Ísjaki
Hoppípolla
Með Blóðnasir
Olsen Olsen
Kveikur
Festival
Popplagið

I can tell I haven't listened to Hvarf/Heim in a while, I couldn't think of what song Í Gær was.

It was day one of a four day festival so I only just got back.

It was great though not as good as the show I saw a couple of months ago. That's mainly because it was a festival: shorter set and worse crowd. The crowd was the most upsetting. At the gig I saw a few months ago the crowd was completely silent during each song but now there was a some murmuring during the quiet parts which makes it harder to lose yourself in the music (if that makes sense :lol:).

Precisely why I'm not going to a festival just to see The Cure.

But, glad you were mostly able to enjoy it anyway. :up:

So I just listened to Kveikur again for the first time in a little while. I really like the album. It's definitely my favorite since Takk... and maybe (). But there is a but.

It's a bit like No Line On the Horizon in the sense that it could have been better with a bit more "discipline". I wanted to comment that the album was well paced. The album's got a lot of variety but the songs still flow nicely. But then I got to Kveikur-Rafstraumur. That transition stood out like a sore thumb to me and it got me thinking about the pop songs on this album. They mostly fit, except for Rafstraumur, because of some production choices that make them a bit grittier. But I would still like the album better without them.

Isjaki is the best of the bunch and fits so that one could stay. Stormur is the weakest. The vocal melody in the verses is annoying for some reason. And then you've got Rafstraumur. On its own it's a nice song but it's the only song on this album without any kind of rawness so it should go. This is highlighted by the fact that it comes right after Kveikur, the band's darkest and dirtiest song to date. You could count Blapradur as a pop song as well but they do some interesting things with it so I won't count tit.

I hope Sigur Ros stop doing these uplifting pop songs. Sigur Ros are at their best when they take beautiful melodies and make interesting arrangements for them. Take Brennistein, Hfratinna... The melodies in those songs are just as good if not better than those in the poppier tracks but they don't stop there. When they just add some boring bass and drums and bang on a piano during the climax it gets boring. It's overkill.

And why do they even make those poppy tracks? They're not using them as singles and not playing them live. They advertised the album with Brennistein and Kveikur at first, and only later with Isjaki!

Making longer songs again wouldn't hurt either. It can't be a coincidence that the three longest songs on the album are my favorite. Those songs have more breathing room and it shows. Bottom line is that Kveikur would have been a lot better had they thrown Stormur and Rafstraumur out and added one track more in the vein of Kveikur and Brennistein.

That was quite a ramble it seems. :lol: I'd still give the album a 7-8 on 10 because it's got some amazing songs but this does annoy me. Also, I didn't look up the song titles so I just guessed them from memory.

Well that was stunning. I'm sorry I didn't get to experience it with one of you bastards. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom