Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the beat is actually really good. a rapper like LL Cool J or Rakim could have turned that beat into a hit in 1990 easily. but holy shit those lyrics. oof

oh, so everybody got really drunk in melbourne during lovetown and michael hutchence asked bono and edge if they wanted to go to the studio and meet some friends of his. that explains a lot. the beat is still genuinely good though and wasted on this shitty song.

So I was reading in the Taylor Swift (?) thread about how U2 was super into visualizing their songs as being played in stadiums when recording No Line On The Horizon and thinking to myself that they’ve probably been doing the same since Popmart. And then I started thinking what an album would be like if they went artistry primary and how to play it live on the road secondary (and how it would be received by casual fans who just want the hits tertiary). What if they didn’t chase after the hit singles and the rawk messes?

So I looked at the tracklisting of each album and new release since Pop and chose a bunch of songs I’d like them to recapture sonically. I know people hate when they’re repetitive and whatnot, but I don’t mean them completely ripping themselves off. I mean more like just inspired by. And so I came up with a dozen songs. None are the biggest hits they’ve had over the span, but I think they’d go well together.

Basically I wish U2 would put out an album that captures the basic sonic spirit of the following dozen songs:

01. Invisible
02. Electrical Storm (not the William Orbit version)
03. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
04. Fez-Being Born
05. Wake Up Dead Man
06. One Step Closer
07. City Of Blinding Lights
08. New York
09. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. Mercy
11. Moment Of Surrender
12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

Although I know there are some lyrical blunders left in there (Electrical Storm, “someone else’s suicide”), I think that’s a playlist I could get behind. So imagine they put out something where the songs sonically were like vague reflections of those listed above. I’m not sure if I’m explaining myself how I mean to. Hopefully. Ha!

(Note: I’m sorry if I left off songs you like and added in songs you don’t, but really it’s the spirit behind the idea that I think is more important than the choices)

Would an album like that spawn any #1 hits? No. Would they attract the youngs? No. Would they go a decent way to repairing their legacy with the olds? I think so.

Yeah the Zooropa Pitchfork thing stirred up memories. I have many a fond memory of listening to Zooropa on my old CD Discman with headphones on late at night in bed. It was the type of album that deserved that kind of listening.

The album kind of came out of nowhere really. I just remember MTV news giving us a heads up. Then it just dropped. It really was so different from everything else considering 1993 was the year of grunge.

I struggled with it. That’s due in part to me becoming a diehard fan the year prior and I took in the entire back catalog up until that point. So yeah. Plus, I really didn’t have much exposure to experimental music or even the Eno solo albums.

Someone please put inauguration Bernie on the cover of HTDAAB.

best i could do with my shitty photoshop skills

ScmkA4E.jpg

If anyone is keeping track of the U2 HD video remasters going on with their YouTube channel they just wrapped up the Unforgettable Fire and Wide Awake in America videos. With or Without You (v2) premiers tomorrow.

Excite!

Last edited:
If anyone is keeping track of the U2 HD video remasters going on with their YouTube channel they just wrapped up the Unforgettable Fire and Wide Awake in America videos. With or Without You (v2) premiers tomorrow.

Excite!

I've been really happy to see them do these HD upgrades to their music videos. Great fan service for me at this stage, incredible to see things like A Celebration in HD when I can remember the first time I was able to see it was in a mIRC download in the mid '90's.

Has a band like U2 ever been so hit and miss with music videos? Some good, but most have been awful?

I wouldn't say most have been awful, I don't think that's accurate at all. I think they actually had a pretty good hit rate for the first 20 years:

NYD
Pride
Streets
Still
WOWY
AIWIY
EBTTRT
One(All three versions to various extents)
The Fly
MW
Numb
Lemon
Stay
MS
Discotheque(I know it's maligned, but I like it)
Please
Sweetest Thing

Since 2000, it's a different story. I feel like BD is just about the only really good music video they've made since then. Maybe the European Stuck video with the van. Oh, that OOTS video the holograms was sort of visually interesting.

They've officially released concert films for the 2015 and 2018 tours, I guess they don't intend to release anything for the Joshua Tree anniversary tour?

Back
Top Bottom