Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is good. It just came out. I've liked this youtube series “What Makes This Song So Great” from Rick Beato for awhile. He gives the Edge & Larry a lot of love on this one.

Last edited:
This is good. It just came out. I've liked this youtube series “What Makes This Song So Great” from Rick Beato for awhile. He gives the Edge & Larry a lot of love on this one.

That was cool, thanks for posting. That song has been a bit of an afterthought for me for many years as a U2 fan and it was nice to see someone being so genuinely enthusiastic about it. I mean it's an objectively good tune. Just probably overplayed.

That was cool, thanks for posting. That song has been a bit of an afterthought for me for many years as a U2 fan and it was nice to see someone being so genuinely enthusiastic about it. I mean it's an objectively good tune. Just probably overplayed.

It's certainly a song that has been everywhere since I became a U2 fan many years ago. So I always took it for granted as a big U2 hit. It's only in the past few years that I've began to really appreciate the song as indeed a masterpiece in songwriting and performance.

The continued uploading of remastered Zoo TV era videos to YouTube have sent me on a nostalgic trip down memory lane because it’s the era when I became a super fan. I was also 15, optimistic about life and not just yet crushed by the realities of life. But anyway. They uploaded the weird Until the End of the World that was from the Zoo TV VHS tape that mtv didn’t really play.

So, twenty years ago today, I went to my first Shuttlecock show...6/19/01, MSG, third-to-last show of the first leg of the Elevation Tour. I just felt like sharing.

Setlist:

Elevation / Creep (snippet)
Beautiful Day
Until the End of the World / Two Tribes (snippet)
New Year's Day
Kite
New York
Out of Control
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Johnny Was (snippet) / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
In a Little While
I Remember You
Desire / 1969 (snippet)
Staring at the Sun
Bad / Wild Horses (snippet) / 40 (snippet)
Psalm 116 (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways / Rock With You (snippet)
The Fly

encore(s):
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
Pride (In the Name of Love)
One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
Walk On

Clearest memories are:

Band coming out to Elevation...one of their best openers bar none...up there with Streets, Zoo Station, and Mofo. None of their openers since has been as good imo...not even COBL.

The energy/loudness of the crowd during the first chorus of Beautiful Day.

The strobe light effect they were using during UTEOTW that everyone in the crowd look like they were moving in slow motion.

Being surprised that we got 11OTT...it had been played at only a small handful of shows on that tour(and not in over a decade prior to the tour) so I think I wasn't really expecting it; I know a lot of you aren't wild about that tour's version of the song, and that it was slower, but I was still psyched to get it. Out Of Control too.

I remember when The Fly started, I didn't know what it was. I hadn't listened to any boots prior to the show, so I'd never heard that intro before(that is still unique to that tour).

I remember Bono freezing like a silhouette at the end of The Fly.

I remember the show ending with Walk On, and there being text(though I don't remember what it said) projected on the ceiling during the song.

Of the five U2 shows I've been too, that was the furthest away from the stage I ever was...nosebleeds. But it still holds significance to me because it was my first. Great show.

So, twenty years ago today, I went to my first Shuttlecock show...6/19/01, MSG, third-to-last show of the first leg of the Elevation Tour. I just felt like sharing.

Setlist:

Elevation / Creep (snippet)

Beautiful Day

Until the End of the World / Two Tribes (snippet)

New Year's Day

Kite

New York

Out of Control

11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Sunday Bloody Sunday / Johnny Was (snippet) / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)

Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of

In a Little While

I Remember You

Desire / 1969 (snippet)

Staring at the Sun

Bad / Wild Horses (snippet) / 40 (snippet)

Psalm 116 (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name

Mysterious Ways / Rock With You (snippet)

The Fly

encore(s):

Bullet the Blue Sky

With or Without You

Pride (In the Name of Love)

One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)

Walk On

Clearest memories are:

Band coming out to Elevation...one of their best openers bar none...up there with Streets, Zoo Station, and Mofo. None of their openers since has been as good imo...not even COBL.

The energy/loudness of the crowd during the first chorus of Beautiful Day.

The strobe light effect they were using during UTEOTW that everyone in the crowd look like they were moving in slow motion.

Being surprised that we got 11OTT...it had been played at only a small handful of shows on that tour(and not in over a decade prior to the tour) so I think I wasn't really expecting it; I know a lot of you aren't wild about that tour's version of the song, and that it was slower, but I was still psyched to get it. Out Of Control too.

I remember when The Fly started, I didn't know what it was. I hadn't listened to any boots prior to the show, so I'd never heard that intro before(that is still unique to that tour).

I remember Bono freezing like a silhouette at the end of The Fly.

I remember the show ending with Walk On, and there being text(though I don't remember what it said) projected on the ceiling during the song.

Of the five U2 shows I've been too, that was the furthest away from the stage I ever was...nosebleeds. But it still holds significance to me because it was my first. Great show.
Heyyy this was my first ever show as well.

the boston elevation version of the fly was the first i ever heard that song. i got the DVD for christmas 2001 and had only owned the best of 80-90 and ATYCLB previously. i wondered what the hell happened to the cool intro and "gotta go" when i bought a beat up used copy of achtung baby (plus the joshua tree, zooropa and the unforgettable fire) with my 16th birthday money a couple months later lol.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that we are as far away from the ATYCLB tour as that tour was from Boy.

It’s been 12 years since I last saw U2 live. Good lord where has time gone.

But yeah, the Elevation Tour/ATYCLB era was/is kind of special in retrospect. It really felt like they were starting over again. It felt like a slow build until they got “huge” again. I remember they did a lot of of TV appearances back then and I didn’t really recall them doing that before. I guess they had to do what they had to do.. and then factor in how the world felt after 9/11 and U2’s music resonated in a new and healing way I guess.

Wasn't Sgt. Pepper's (title track) the last song played on the PA before Elevation started?

"It was 20 years ago today" indeed.

From what I can recall from the shows I saw (in Europe) songs like Moving On Up (Primal Scream), I Want To Take You Higher (Sly & The Family) and (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher (Jackie Wilson) were played just before the show started. And maybe a few others as well which would fit the theme of elevation. But yeah, it was 20 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy.

Assuming the intro to The Fly is the same as the one on the Boston DVD… jealous. Maybe the best The Fly has ever been live.

the boston elevation version of the fly was the first i ever heard that song. i got the DVD for christmas 2001 and had only owned the best of 80-90 and ATYCLB previously. i wondered what the hell happened to the cool intro and "gotta go" when i bought a beat up used copy of achtung baby (plus the joshua tree, zooropa and the unforgettable fire) with my 16th birthday money a couple months later lol.

Your guys comments made me decide to listen to it again for the first time in forever. I had not remembered that Bono sings all of it (no Edge backing vocals). It's Edge's guitar (tone?) on the chorus's that really makes this version great imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom