Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just can't imagine being this emotionally charged about a soundtrack song. I think most of, if not all of us have moved onto other bands, genres, etc. but can still appreciate U2's prime years. I listened to this song, said "meh" and I'll probably only listen to it if it randomly comes on my huge U2 playlist. Then I went on with my day and listened to the music I'm into now.

Yeah, I was absolutely referring to U2 lol I thought that was obvious!! Soz for the confusion LM.

I certainly have no hatred towards the Beach Boys. Quite far down on my list of fav artists, but Pet Sounds is nice and I listened to Smiley Smile once and really enjoyed it.

But yeah, this new fucking song man. I actually don't think it's THAT bad - Best Thing, Own Way and American Soul are all worse. It's catchy. But it's still really bad. Bono has never sounded so bad, I can't believe how fucking shit his vocals are, I went back and listened to parts of those Songs of Experience tracks (I couldn't get through them) and he sounds a lot better. The way the lyrics are worded and sung don't fit the melody. And the music is very pedestrian.

It's just the sort of shit that I don't want from them. Boring, saccharine, AM bullshit about absolutely nothing even remotely interesting. NLOTH was the last time I liked U2 in the moment. There are a handful of songs that are decent from the last two records, but I wouldn't rate any of them in the top, I dunno, 50 U2 songs. The Troubles, maybe, if it's lucky.

It's why I'd just rather they go the Rolling Stones route. Give us all your best music live in the incredible way you do before one of you dies. I do not want or need new music from a band that is either incapable of making good music anymore, or unwilling to because they couldn't deal with the prospect of releasing (good!) music that doesn't grab mainstream attention. And even when they do release decent music, it's tucked away on the back half of a record, never publicised and barely played live.

I'm 90% there with you. Ultimately I don't care what they release or not (I started listening to the new song, got distracted halfway through with a phone call, and never went back to check it out again). We have our cherished records already. I would prefer if they used their tours (if they happen again) to play their good music, especially songs that have not been in rotation in the last couple of decades. Their new music ranges from some hidden gems to not good to embarrassingly bad, but it doesn't annoy me as much as it does you. There's too much good stuff out there, and I realize at this point nobody will be converted to become a new U2 fan.

I just can't imagine being this emotionally charged about a soundtrack song. I think most of, if not all of us have moved onto other bands, genres, etc. but can still appreciate U2's prime years. I listened to this song, said "meh" and I'll probably only listen to it if it randomly comes on my huge U2 playlist. Then I went on with my day and listened to the music I'm into now.

I actually think a lot of us appreciate a good portion of their later work. I really enjoy the custom playlists I have of both SOI and SOE - they really were only a couple songs off on each one to make them an enjoyable listening experience.

The way you guys have been talking about this song, I thought it was going to be way worse.

It's melodically more pleasant and, to my ears anyway, less overcooked/overproduced than some of the stuff that made SOE(Get Out, American Soul, etc).

You guys made it sound like it was terrible, and it's not imo. That doesn't mean it's great. The problems imo are two-fold:

1. Lyrically, there's not much there.

2. This is the biggest one - it just doesn't even sound like a band, and this was an issue with those other tracks they put out...was that earlier this year or last year?

Until the latter part of the track when Edge's background vocals come in and the bassline gets a bit more pronounced, it sounded like it could've been just Bono, a drum machine, and a synthesizer.

Was it Edge playing the keyboard? If so, I guess that's an indication he's there, but still.

This new song makes me appreciate how well written Love Is Bigger was. If THAT was the song to a kids movie I would be blown away.

Love is Bigger for me is the only time they've managed to nail what they're going for. Still not a top-tier track and there's some stylistic misses in it, but I wouldn't complain if it got played at every show from here on out.

I just wanted to emphasize that U2 still can and does write great gooey overblown adult contemporary pop songs. This Sing track just happens to not be one of them.

Alternate take: I would have been mad if they wasted a good song on a movie soundtrack, and would have thought it was a huge waste of the song like what I feel about Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

I still cringe whenever I hear that song's name. :lol: A great song, ruined for me because of people's dumbass reactions in the setlist party threads.

humtumcumcum

Which was also the winning entry in the caption this photo contest for:

1035x1035-large.jpg

"Your Son Saved My Life"

- Written from the perspective of one of Lance's Mom's clients who happened to get close to Lance himself

*You know your Son saved my life
I didn't used to watch Wong Kar-Wai
Won't you hear me when I tell you, darlin?
I loved Malick's Tree of Life*

It’s Bono’s vocal on the new song that I struggle with most. It’s not pleasant at all. Perhaps in their worst ten songs.

But I suppose, thankfully, it is sort of forgettable as a stand-alone single, so it’s perhaps not something we’ll stumble on too often when we go through a U2 listening phase (like Ordinary Love, which I think is ten times better and genuinely enjoy).

Interesting watching the trailer for this movie… looks like there is some big scene featuring I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, which appears to try and capture how emphatic the song can be as a live moment - a concerted attempt to expose U2 to new audiences maybe.

It’s Bono’s vocal on the new song that I struggle with most. It’s not pleasant at all. Perhaps in their worst ten songs.

I’m curious if he cut it in a proper studio or if this was a full remote job, the latter of which may explain some of the harshness.

So the 30th Anniversary of Achtung Baby is happening..

One thing I noticed is that the newer version of Heaven And Hell, the one where Bono tried to fit full paragraphs into the verses, did NOT make the cut.

I’m interested in this “digital exploration” of the album, whatever the hell that is.

Honestly wasn’t expecting more outtakes, that last deluxe set was enough for me, even if I’d like to see some live material released officially.

Back
Top Bottom