Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which band member is it?

U2 are lazy

97961ce2eccf3dda6df76cb8b18faa92.gif

I’d watch hours of Rattle and Hum outtakes if they released it. I mean I had low quality bootlegs before. I didn’t think they were boring.

Yeah, I’ve gone from being excited for new music by them in the past to now being afraid of new music by them, worried that we’ve yet to see rock bottom.

I'm glad you're finally seeing what I've been seeing for seven years now. The snippets of the new song I've heard - in addition to their recent newer songs and the tracks they choose to promote the most from their recent albums - make it very clear that the U2 I once loved has officially left the building and is now either incapable of or unwilling to make good music.

I'm glad you're finally seeing what I've been seeing for seven years now. The snippets of the new song I've heard - in addition to their recent newer songs and the tracks they choose to promote the most from their recent albums - make it very clear that the U2 I once loved has officially left the building and is now either incapable of or unwilling to make good music.

Well no, I’m not seeing what you’re seeing because despite hating their single choices and thinking there are too many cooks playing guitar and producing, I think there are like 7-8 legitimately great songs on Songs of Experience, which is above and beyond for a 35-40 year-old band. They are certainly capable of making good music, just intermittently willing.

As I’ve said countless times before, the Stones stopped making consistently music by the late 1970s, so there’s your alternative.

I was actually amazed that they decided to go with a polka theme in the last half of the track. Bold move. Let's see if it pays off for them.

And the beginning of the track featuring John Mess from Dance Gavin Dance.

So many twists on this new song, Screaming Metal, followed by 45 seconds of Adult Contemporary, with a Polka outro.

And the beginning of the track featuring John Mess from Dance Gavin Dance.

So many twists on this new song, Screaming Metal, followed by 45 seconds of Adult Contemporary, with a Polka outro.

i don't know about you but i did not see the Cardi B appearance coming. More pandering to the kids, i guess. They've really lost it.

There's a melodic turn in this new song that reminds of "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys. This is not a compliment.

Hating Kokomo is fine but hating the Beach Boys is fucking stupid.

Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby, God Only Knows, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Caroline No, Cabinessence, Surf's Up, All I Wanna Do, The Night Was So Young, anyone who hates that band is just ignorant of their catalogue tbh

For those who aren't into the more popular Beach Boys material I'd suggest listening to the Holland album. The addition of two South African musicians really took the band in a new direction, and Sail On, Sailor in particular is one of the best songs of the band, period.

The previous album, Carl And the Passions: So Tough has the same lineup and is almost as good.

Hating Kokomo is fine but hating the Beach Boys is fucking stupid.

Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby, God Only Knows, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Caroline No, Cabinessence, Surf's Up, All I Wanna Do, The Night Was So Young, anyone who hates that band is just ignorant of their catalogue tbh
Who the hell said anything about hating the Beach Boys?

i am pretty sure that cobbler hates it (the new u2 song) and them (2021 u2). and after all, we're only ordinary men.

As mediocre as this song is, I can't imagine anyone hating it. I can't even remember what it's called.

Yeah, I was absolutely referring to U2 lol I thought that was obvious!! Soz for the confusion LM.

I certainly have no hatred towards the Beach Boys. Quite far down on my list of fav artists, but Pet Sounds is nice and I listened to Smiley Smile once and really enjoyed it.

But yeah, this new fucking song man. I actually don't think it's THAT bad - Best Thing, Own Way and American Soul are all worse. It's catchy. But it's still really bad. Bono has never sounded so bad, I can't believe how fucking shit his vocals are, I went back and listened to parts of those Songs of Experience tracks (I couldn't get through them) and he sounds a lot better. The way the lyrics are worded and sung don't fit the melody. And the music is very pedestrian.

It's just the sort of shit that I don't want from them. Boring, saccharine, AM bullshit about absolutely nothing even remotely interesting. NLOTH was the last time I liked U2 in the moment. There are a handful of songs that are decent from the last two records, but I wouldn't rate any of them in the top, I dunno, 50 U2 songs. The Troubles, maybe, if it's lucky.

It's why I'd just rather they go the Rolling Stones route. Give us all your best music live in the incredible way you do before one of you dies. I do not want or need new music from a band that is either incapable of making good music anymore, or unwilling to because they couldn't deal with the prospect of releasing (good!) music that doesn't grab mainstream attention. And even when they do release decent music, it's tucked away on the back half of a record, never publicised and barely played live.

Man, at this point I can't hate U2. They're wasting our time and theirs with these weak ass songs but it's their right, I suppose. They've given us 7-8 great albums and I've accepted that their sound and artistic goals are so far away from my own tastes that the band releasing a new album I love would almost have to be accidental.

This new song sucks but it wasn't written for fans like me who still pine for a sequel to Original Soundtracks 1. Unfortunately for them, I doubt the audience it was written for will be listening very intently.

Back
Top Bottom