Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I just saw something that has profoundly altered my life. I'm watching TBS and they're running the opening credits of the 90's sitcom Family Matters. When they get to the actress playing the grandmother, she is sitting down and holding an issue of Rolling Stone magazine with U2 on the cover. You can clearly see their name and faces. The issue is from 3/10/1988. This episode originally aired in the early fall of 1991. Has anyone ever noticed that? How did that get there?

They probably filmed that little credit scene with her prior to the first season airing because I don’t know that her scene ever changed - I watched it when it originally aired but admittedly my memory is hazy because that’s when I was in elementary school.

They probably filmed that little credit scene with her prior to the first season airing because I don’t know that her scene ever changed - I watched it when it originally aired but admittedly my memory is hazy because that’s when I was in elementary school.

Thanks! I didn't wanna dive too deeply into a Family Matters vortex. Plus, when I searched U2 Rolling Stone magazine covers, that particular cover was one of the first to pop up. I'm wondering if Family Matters had anything to do with it. Lol! They've had a lot of Rolling Stone covers. Funny, that one pops up first.

Ok, so I just saw something that has profoundly altered my life. I'm watching TBS and they're running the opening credits of the 90's sitcom Family Matters. When they get to the actress playing the grandmother, she is sitting down and holding an issue of Rolling Stone magazine with U2 on the cover. You can clearly see their name and faces. The issue is from 3/10/1988. This episode originally aired in the early fall of 1991. Has anyone ever noticed that? How did that get there?

Yes, Family Matters premiered in the fall of 1989. They used the same opening credits for a few years with minor changes but always kept the mother and that issue of Rolling Stone unchanged.

Yes, Family Matters premiered in the fall of 1989. They used the same opening credits for a few years with minor changes but always kept the mother and that issue of Rolling Stone unchanged.

Thanks! Truth be known, I occasionally watched Family Matters, but never paid attention to the opening credits. I wonder if someone was a U2 fan on the set and slipped it in there. Lol!

I think Rick Beato has done some videos about Shuttlecock before(that have been posted here), but he just put up a new one where he appreciates and breaks down "Drowning Man" for 15 minutes:

I very much appreciate that he picked a non-warhorse. I was honestly shocked by the song selection - as soon as I saw the War cover I was fully expecting SBS or NYD - but I've always loved the hell out of the song and love that he did a video on it. He's doing a series called "Great Songs by Artists You Hate", focusing on groups he's noticed a high volume of distaste for(yes, he very briefly mentioned the iPhone thing, kind of dismissively - "You might hate U2 for whatever reasons, because they put some songs on your iPhone that you didn't have to listen to") but that he loves; this is the second video in that series, the first being Coldplay's "Amsterdam".

Man I got in a discussion on twitter about 00s U2 with a casual fan, and I asked him if he knew about Mercy, he didn't! So I've just blown his mind with the original and told him the story... and it led me to listen to the live version for the first time in forever. It is such a fucking travesty. Bono sounds like shit, the guitar solo is horrible and totally out of place, and they really destroyed the gorgeous chorus and they made it two minutes shorter.

At least we'll always have the original.

Speaking of anniversaries, tonight marks the 20th anniversary of the first of U2's three post-9/11 MSG shows, which were(if I'm not mistaken) the first rock concerts in the city after the attacks. These were some of the most emotionally charged shows of their career.

Speaking of anniversaries, tonight marks the 20th anniversary of the first of U2's three post-9/11 MSG shows, which were(if I'm not mistaken) the first rock concerts in the city after the attacks. These were some of the most emotionally charged shows of their career.

nope

Tool, Neil Diamond, Jane's Addiction and the Concert for New York came first.

that said - those shows were amazing. the ending to 10/27 is among the best U2 live moments ever.

here's the full 10/27 show

and here's the ending...

a tad jingoistic in retrospect - but when you consider the moment it was pretty intense. 45 days after the attacks. the fire fighters and first responders on stage had come straight from ground zero to the show, and went straight back after it was done.

Last edited:

N0Uz.gif

Back
Top Bottom