shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the time difference between the release of War and today is more or less the same as that between the release of War and the Second World War.

That list sure has a lot of HITS on it. Not much in the way of deep cuts, the Talking Heads track being one prominent exception.

And aside from Massive Attack, very little of the sounds that were influencing them in the early-to-mid 90s.

Also, selecting Jeremy for Pearl Jam is certainly a choice.

The coolest thing about this is the "fan letters", and I look forward to seeing the reactions from artists, especially Ian McCulloch's.

Damn. Yeah, I saw pitchfork and other sites post this news on Facebook and I glanced at comments and it’s a shit show.

I thought the hate peaked earlier this week when I saw news articles on Facebook about Covid-19 patients being released by hospitals... Hospitals were playing songs of joy by popular bands as send offs for patients and U2 was mentioned as one of the popular artists and of course those comments were a shit show too.

But anyway. Happy birthday.

The fuck is Billions. Keep your old man shows to yourself, Geezer in a Suitcase.

For his birthday, Bono put together a playlist of 60 songs that saved his life and he's going to gradually release letters to the authors of each song on what it meant to him. Cool little project he put together.

https://www.u2.com/news/title/60-songs-that-saved-my-life

I love that he squeezed Billie Eilish there to try to look like he's not 100% out of touch with anything that has happened in the last twenty years.

Also I made the mistake of reading *all* of that thread on EYKIW about whether U2 still have a great album in them. I'm amazed this forum still has such a long thread in it, especially one that goes nowhere in particular.

I am confused, however, that there are evidently people who think COBL is better known than Vertigo. I'd be impressed if I so much as met an ordinary non-fan who recognised COBL's name if I said it to them.

I love that he squeezed Billie Eilish there to try to look like he's not 100% out of touch with anything that has happened in the last twenty years.

Also I made the mistake of reading *all* of that thread on EYKIW about whether U2 still have a great album in them. I'm amazed this forum still has such a long thread in it, especially one that goes nowhere in particular.

I am confused, however, that there are evidently people who think COBL is better known than Vertigo. I'd be impressed if I so much as met an ordinary non-fan who recognised COBL's name if I said it to them.
I believe the discussion was more about what songs have remained a part of the public conscious today... i.e you still hear it get played in certain places... not which songs were better known. More people would know Vertigo as it was a hit, but you rarely hear it played anywhere anymore... whereas City still gets some occasional use, mostly by politicians or in some inspirational montage video.

Perhaps in America.

I do not think I have ever heard COBL in public. Vertigo is still used in sports. If I were not a U2 fan, I doubt I would have ever heard COBL.

That’s because in australia, cobl refers to a person
giphy.gif

It is very funny to me that in a list of 60 songs explicitly meant to be by other artists, Bono managed to choose three that included himself.

In fairness to stuff like the pavoratti material, one could argue that experience is in itself rewarding and redeeming.

That's certainly fair. The funniest is definitely the Sinatra duet, since there is a much more famous solo performance by Sinatra he easily could have chosen.

It is very funny to me that in a list of 60 songs explicitly meant to be by other artists, Bono managed to choose three that included himself.

It's like he was specifically looking for a way to make sure the list would anger the usual haters.

Quite oblivious. Like why not just select a different song by each of those artists and then in the description mention the memory of the subsequent collaboration?

At least he didn't include Let Your Love Be Known, I guess.

We're just lucky he didn't make the whole list U2 covers.

Who doesn't want to hear their take on Fortunate Son again!

It’s like “hey let’s put The Playboy Mansion on there so we look credible.” I do appreciate them ranking NLOTH so high though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom