Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Interference Fam.

I don't know about any of you, but, I am really digging this new Alvvays a lot. I also loved the new Beth Orton album but I've been a fan of hers forever so the bias is strong. She and her voice are aging wonderfully to my ears. Been listening to Angel Olsen a lot lately, too. Also, Scott Walker popped up on my iTunes out of nowhere the other day and I could not stop laughing. Lastly, as it pertains to music, I am probably here because I was listening to the remastered Revolver the other day. Or maybe it's seeing a bunch of articles lately about Bono's book, which I doubt I will read but still.

The new Cormac McCarthy is patiently waiting for me to finish what I'm currently reading so I can see what's up. I am sure his fastball is not what it was but even if he's got 75% of his old literary power, it's going to be a great read. What a giant.

I really enjoyed House of the Dragon. I was massively disappointed with The Rings of Power. I am loving Andor.

For the past year, whenever I feel a bit down or a lot down, and I don't want to listen to music but I do want to watch something and not think too hard, I rewatch the 2021 version of Dune. Why that works I do not know but, it typically does. I love Dune too much. I want to see Tar when the World Series is over.

I started flying domestically recently and that's sort of broken the seal on my desire to explore more of the world again. I've been binge watching episodes of "Mighty Cruise Ships" despite never having been on a cruise, so that feels aspirational, which pleases me. I hope to get to Europe in 2023. As for 2022 travel, I was just back East for two weeks, splitting time between NYC and Philly, attending various NLCS/ALCS/World Series games. Got home last night just in time for first pitch of Game 5. It was a tiring trip but fun and productive too. I'd not spent extended time in Philly before and I enjoyed it. I stayed near City Hall which I enjoyed, and we could easily walk to the Reading Terminal Market for lunch, which was fun, albeit crowded. I am sure my stay was enhanced by the fact that the city is buzzing due to the Phillies and Eagles and maybe even a little bit due to the Union, who are set to play in the MLS Cup tomorrow. Also saw some Fall foliage, which I always enjoy.

In lieu of the Bronx Bombers advancing, go Phillies........

:heart::heart::heart:

Always nice when one of the true Interference Hall of Famers stops by!

I'm also digging the Alvvays album; I mentioned it a week ago but I don't know if anyone commented. Seems like a big B&C type of group.

I heard that there's a new Cormac and while I've only read a couple of his books, I've enjoyed both. I still need to get to that Border trilogy or whatever it's called. Lately I've been checking out this sci-fi author Kate Wilhelm, who I had never heard of before. Great stuff. And the recent Fletch film with Jon Hamm has me going back to those original Gregory McDonald novels, which are great.

Good luck with your travel plans, there is so much to see in Europe and you might be better off picking a couple places to start instead of trying to hit too many cities your first time.

Hope you can come back with a review of Bono's memoir and any music the band puts out in the near future.

Hey man, good to hear from you. Hope things are well.

Yes, Andor is awesome.

Glad you agree, and, things are well, thank you. Hope you can say the same.

:heart::heart::heart:

Always nice when one of the true Interference Hall of Famers stops by!

I'm also digging the Alvvays album; I mentioned it a week ago but I don't know if anyone commented. Seems like a big B&C type of group.

I heard that there's a new Cormac and while I've only read a couple of his books, I've enjoyed both. I still need to get to that Border trilogy or whatever it's called. Lately I've been checking out this sci-fi author Kate Wilhelm, who I had never heard of before. Great stuff. And the recent Fletch film with Jon Hamm has me going back to those original Gregory McDonald novels, which are great.

Good luck with your travel plans, there is so much to see in Europe and you might be better off picking a couple places to start instead of trying to hit too many cities your first time.

Hope you can come back with a review of Bono's memoir and any music the band puts out in the near future.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're still around these parts.

I've been to Europe a few times, luckily (including the first six shows of the 360 tour). I just have not been since 2016 when I visited some of the Scandinavian/Nordic countries (amazing trip). If I go next year, it'll be the Czech Republic and Belgium. Don't want to retrace my steps. and I've never been to either....

The Border Trilogy is great, and so is Blood Meridian. Most people that I know that have read two of his books have read The Road and No Country for Old Men. Never heard of Kate Wilhelm, I'll have to check her out since I still read a shit ton of Sci-Fi. I've also been on a Mick Herron and Lawrence Osborne kick lately. Very different authors but I enjoy both.

I have the Hamm Fletch film on my watchlist.....

Is it pure coincidence that NSW shows up right after Laz posts the window peeper picture?
Must be like the bat signal.

Nice to see you on here young Feller. Try and grace us with your wisdom a bit more often.

I've been to Europe a few times, luckily (including the first six shows of the 360 tour). I just have not been since 2016 when I visited some of the Scandinavian/Nordic countries (amazing trip). If I go next year, it'll be the Czech Republic and Belgium. Don't want to retrace my steps. and I've never been to either....

Czech Your Lease. If you're going down that way, I highly suggest going a little further and visiting Budapest as well. Very charming city and gets more "exotic" as you're getting further from central Europe.

The Border Trilogy is great, and so is Blood Meridian. Most people that I know that have read two of his books have read The Road and No Country for Old Men. Never heard of Kate Wilhelm, I'll have to check her out since I still read a shit ton of Sci-Fi. I've also been on a Mick Herron and Lawrence Osborne kick lately. Very different authors but I enjoy both.

Blood Meridian and The Road are indeed the two I've read. I have a copy of Suttree but my old roommate borrowed it and never finished it so I'm still waiting for that, but I do own All The Pretty Horses so I should probably crack that open.

Wilhelm is interesting because she wrote SF for about 30 years and then became a successful mystery writer for the rest of her career. She was married to fellow writer Damon Knight, who you may have heard of. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon her work, either a thrift store or The Last Bookstore downtown, but I first read her novel Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, which was a fascinating take on the subject of cloning. Instead of setting it in some unrecognizable landscape, it has a more rustic backdrop, but gets a little deeper into the science behind cloning within a small community, and the ethical/moral ramifications. One of the best SF books I've read in a while. And now I've been grabbing copies of her other books on eBay.

We talked a little in these threads about the band Dry Cleaning last year. I put off listening to the new one because of how much I disliked the album cover, but when I got around to it, I was really impressed with it. The vocalist has added some embellishments to the deadpan delivery without compromising what made it compelling in the first place. And the post-punk arrangements are still top-notch.

Czech Your Lease. If you're going down that way, I highly suggest going a little further and visiting Budapest as well. Very charming city and gets more "exotic" as you're getting further from central Europe.

Blood Meridian and The Road are indeed the two I've read. I have a copy of Suttree but my old roommate borrowed it and never finished it so I'm still waiting for that, but I do own All The Pretty Horses so I should probably crack that open.

Wilhelm is interesting because she wrote SF for about 30 years and then became a successful mystery writer for the rest of her career. She was married to fellow writer Damon Knight, who you may have heard of. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon her work, either a thrift store or The Last Bookstore downtown, but I first read her novel Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, which was a fascinating take on the subject of cloning. Instead of setting it in some unrecognizable landscape, it has a more rustic backdrop, but gets a little deeper into the science behind cloning within a small community, and the ethical/moral ramifications. One of the best SF books I've read in a while. And now I've been grabbing copies of her other books on eBay.

How does Prague filter out the teases? They don't let them in.

I've actually been to Budspest, and I agree, it was very charming, I really liked it. My visit there was brief, though, so maybe it's worth a revisit. I stopped there on a trip to Vienna and Salzburg.

Yeah, you really should get cracking on the Border Trilogy.

I'm probably going to buy Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, thanks for the recommendation.

Hewson, hello. Did I just miss a recent posting of the Cori/NSW creep at the window photo?

I was going to post the table baby but I had issues trying to add an image to my message for some reason so I abandoned ship, just like someone abandoned that baby. :(

Breaking up is hard
But keeping dark is hateful
I had so many dreams, I had so many breakthroughs
But you, my love, were kind
But love has left you dreamless
The door to dreams was closed
Your park was real and dreamless
But all I have to give
Is guilt for dreaming

I'm going through a break-up, and I am beyond heartbroken. It's the hardest thing that has ever happened to me. I've never experienced pain like it.

Damn, really sorry to hear about that. Especially hard when you’ve put so many years into it and were living together as well.

You have good friends, family, and coworkers who will be there for you to help you get through it.

I'm going through a break-up, and I am beyond heartbroken. It's the hardest thing that has ever happened to me. I've never experienced pain like it.

damn, dude. it hurts. i've been through something like that myself when my marriage broke down. it's never easy, even if you try really hard to be super casual about it (from my experience) - please reach out if you want or need to chat about it. i can relate.

sorry you're dealing with this. you have friends here if you need any help, dan. and i hope that she's got support and friends too.

Last edited:
Thanks all. It's fucking brutal. Part of the reason it hurts so bad is that I am so confused. We've had issues for a while, and I am confused about my own feelings for her. Sometimes, it feels like I have lost my feelings of love for her. But in the past couple of days, all I want is to be with her. She loves me so much, but I owe it to both of us to figure out my true feelings. I've battled clinical anxiety my entire life, and trying to figure out what is my anxiety and what's not, what's an uncomfortable intrusive thought and what is real but confronting, is so difficult. So, the right thing is to separate.

I also have little experience with grief. I grieved the loss of my grandparents when I lost them between 15 and 19, but it didn't hurt like this. The only time since I was 19 (I'm now 32) that I feel like I have come close to grieving is when Bowie passed away. I have no idea how people grieve when someone dies, particularly if it's unexpected, sudden or traumatic. This pain is unbearable at times, and Em is still very much alive.

First, hello, NSW. Always nice to receive a report from your part of the world. I hope you enjoyed the World Series, despite the Phillies losing. The 5:03 pm start time made me think of you! I also just got home from the yearly Catalina trip. Headed to Baltimore this weekend, if you have any suggestions of what to see there. I've never been.

Also want to offer my support to Cobz. I've had a couple break-ups that felt...yeah, like so much grief and the world ending. Our identities get tangled up with another's, and to re-find ourselves as individuals after that is disorienting and painful. Please message me on Insta if you need anything. One day, one hour at a time is good. Talking to people is good. Exercise is especially good for moving energy out of the body. I'm here for you, friend.

First, hello, NSW. Always nice to receive a report from your part of the world. I hope you enjoyed the World Series, despite the Phillies losing. The 5:03 pm start time made me think of you! I also just got home from the yearly Catalina trip. Headed to Baltimore this weekend, if you have any suggestions of what to see there. I've never been.

HG, lovely to see you, as always. I hope that the Catalina trip was a good one and that you're well. LOL, that first pitch time has a backstory! I was pulling for the Phillies but more than that, was hoping the series would go 7 - but 6 was fine. Sorry about the Sooners. :(

I've been to Baltimore a few times but usually just to see the Orioles play, so my feel for the city is mostly limited to the Inner Harbor, which is fine but a nicer place to visit in the warmer months. I visited Fort McHenry on one of my trips and that was an interesting trip, at least for me. I liked The Peabody Library, too. Wish I had more fun/less geeky recommendations. Have a great trip!

HG, lovely to see you, as always. I hope that the Catalina trip was a good one and that you're well. LOL, that first pitch time has a backstory! I was pulling for the Phillies but more than that, was hoping the series would go 7 - but 6 was fine. Sorry about the Sooners. :(

I've been to Baltimore a few times but usually just to see the Orioles play, so my feel for the city is mostly limited to the Inner Harbor, which is fine but a nicer place to visit in the warmer months. I visited Fort McHenry on one of my trips and that was an interesting trip, at least for me. I liked The Peabody Library, too. Wish I had more fun/less geeky recommendations. Have a great trip!

Catalina was good this year. Last year the boat ride was so wild, we weren't allowed on the upper deck. Grateful for nicer weather. And what can I say? It's a good thing I went to Oklahoma and Georgia, so I'm not too sad.

Thank you for the geeky recommendations and well wishes. You know how much I love to travel, haha. I'm there for a bar mitzvah but still hoping to see some sights. I still have a few days and will research the fort and the library. Maybe the aquarium is good? And I heard I need to try the seafood.

I'll text you about the start time.

And I'm gonna read Bono's memoir once I'm done with the giant book I'm reading (The Pale King by DFW). If it's even kinda good, I will let you know.

Catalina was good this year. Last year the boat ride was so wild, we weren't allowed on the upper deck. Grateful for nicer weather. And what can I say? It's a good thing I went to Oklahoma and Georgia, so I'm not too sad.

Thank you for the geeky recommendations and well wishes. You know how much I love to travel, haha. I'm there for a bar mitzvah but still hoping to see some sights. I still have a few days and will research the fort and the library. Maybe the aquarium is good? And I heard I need to try the seafood.

I'll text you about the start time.

And I'm gonna read Bono's memoir once I'm done with the giant book I'm reading (The Pale King by DFW). If it's even kinda good, I will let you know.

Yeah, you basically have two options:

Text me, or get slapped up. You decide.

I just don't see myself ever reading that memoir, but t if it's even kinda good I guess I might.

They have a couple other good ones from the pre-Amplified Heart days, tho some do sound a little dated. The Acoustic album is very much worth getting, for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom