Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #481
45:33

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Debut solo album from Okkervil's frontman Will Sheff coming, I liked this post he put on their socials:

Quote:
I’m so excited to announce that I have a new record coming out, and that it’s my first under my own name.

So much has changed in my life in the last few years. I left NYC after over a decade, and I drove across the country to California. I lost some people who were very close to me. I got sober. I got a dog. I weathered the last two years, like everybody. And I passed two decades fronting Okkervil River, a band I’d started with my high school friends.

These songs were written during these changes, & they were written not to impress but to express, to translate the depth of what I was experiencing into music. And they were written with friends - old friends, like Will Graefe & Benjamin Lazar Davis, and new ones like Christian Lee Hutson. Then they were recorded with more friends, old & new: Griffin Goldsmith & Zac Rae, John Congleton & Matt Linesch & Marshall Vore, Cassandra Jenkins & Eric D Johnson & Saundra Williams & Jonathan Meiburg, Cole Kamen-Green & Sarah K. Pedinotti. Larry even ended up on there.

Before long it was clear this wasn’t my high school band anymore. It was time to grow up, to take off the elaborate but constricting Okkervil River costume and become myself.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my changing feelings about rock & roll over the past 2 decades. I’ve been thinking a lot about what motivated me to start writing at the beginning – the good motivations and the motivations that lost their usefulness. I’ve been thinking about each move I’ve been proud of & the moves I would make differently. I’ve been thinking about how to live my life in the most genuine way I can. And a lot of that thinking is reflected in this album, though not always directly. But, really, the album isn’t about thinking so much as it’s about feeling.

So that’s what this is. And it’s called Nothing Special, though it’s the most special thing in my world right now. You can follow the link in comments to hear the new single “Estrangement Zone”, pre-order the album (with a jigsaw puzzle!), & check out dates where I’ll be taking these songs on the road with my friends. I can’t wait to see you.

Thank you everybody for whom the music meant something. You’re why I’m here.
Carly Rae has a record coming out too.

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:05 PM   #482
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Debut solo album from Okkervil's frontman Will Sheff coming, I liked this post he put on their socials:

Looking forward to this, and I love that he recorded with so many past Okkervil people, but I hope it doesn't mean that official Okkervil River output is done.

I'm seeing Local Natives on Thursday, The Shins on Saturday, and The National next Tuesday. The douchebaggiest of seats for all 3. Probably my best 1 week stretch of shows since I was in my 20's. Looking forward to it.

u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #483

I've got Tyler tonight, pumped. Gang of Youths, Something for Kate, Stella Donnelly and a Neil Diamond tribute act also coming up this month.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:25 AM   #484

₱av€m€nt

Pavement Set to Unveil Five Official Album-Themed Pierogi
Old 08-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #485
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:40 AM
LOL. I hope they sell them at the concessions in the upcoming tour. The Terror Twilight flavor sounds so good.

Really loved this cover by Annie:

gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #486

Saw that, thought it was great
Old 08-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #487
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
LOL. I hope they sell them at the concessions in the upcoming tour.
Can't tell if Cobbler is trolling or actually failed to read the article, but with him it's hard to tell.

Unlike the various products that Wilco were shamelessly hawking, this isn't something Pavement has anything to do with on an official level. The headline is misleading in that Pavement isn't "set to unveil" anything, and the first lines of the article immediately refutes it with " Pavement will be honored with special album-themed pierogi at an event in Parma, Ohio. Local businesses Schnitz Ale Brewery, Rudy’s Strudel, and the Current Year Records and Tapes are joining forces for the ticketed event..."

Bob is appearing in person because he wanted to support some die-hard fans, and he's the most gregarious guy in the band.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:03 PM   #488

I enjoy taking the piss out of you at any opportunity

Definitely not serious, it's fun, fine, cool, but it also doesn't remotely bother me what Wilco have done, hence me poking fun.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #489
Blue Crack Addict

i only read the headline and thought it was an announcement that wilco's next album was going to be called Themed Pierogi.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:33 PM   #490
Blue Crack Supplier

RIP Olivia Newton John.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:14 PM   #491
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'm seeing Local Natives on Thursday, The Shins on Saturday, and The National next Tuesday. The douchebaggiest of seats for all 3. Probably my best 1 week stretch of shows since I was in my 20's. Looking forward to it.
This was honestly the most enjoyable week of concerts I've had in two decades, all 3 shows were fantastic and meaningful to me personally. So much of my music fandom and memories are tied to this forum and all of you, I was thinking of all of you and our great and no longer posting friends. I sincerely hope all of you are having a great summer, doing well, and rocking out.
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier

Zoots
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #493
ONE
love, blood, life

I don’t have much lined up in terms of concerts, but very much looking forward to Los Campesinos! In two weeks (I’ll cherish every one of their shows like they could be the last). Also have Broken Social Scene and Pavement coming up, but that’s mostly it.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #494

God I wish I could see LC! again.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #495
Blue Crack Supplier

Can't believe those motherfuckers aren't coming to the West Coast.

Also, how quickly will Cobbler jizz in his pants after hearing this:

Old Today, 12:36 AM   #496

Mate, that's like five years old. I think it might have even been pre-GFIL.

They just did a new one too, of a quite good song that I'd forgotten about:

Seeing them tonight!