Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some positive personal news to share with you guys:

The pandemic has made the job market a cruel place, perhaps especially for those of us in education, but I landed a really terrific job opportunity weeks into the school year. Almost 7 years after graduating from college, I have salaried career job that I actually want.

The job is tough. I'm gonna be teaching English in a dropout recovery program for young adults 16-24 trying to get their life on track. They go to learn a trade, get a full diploma instead of a GED and really make something of themselves. The class sizes are only 10-15 students each, which is amazing, and they run off their own curriculum so I don't have to get bogged down in lesson planning. I get to make a direct impact on the economy instead of teaching kids who only understand the value of education in the abstract. The age range/experience level is exactly what I wanted and because their curriculum is online they won't be forcing us into the classroom immediately. Benefits are really good too and HR was generous enough to move me up the pay scale for experience I couldn't quite fulfill. Basically slid me 5k a year.

And all this in the middle of a pandemic and economic crisis. Thank God for Ashley telling me to stop crying, get off the couch and be active. I pretty much gave up, honestly. No interviews for months and then the stars lined up at the 11th hour after an application I sent out on a whim at 5 AM. You guys know full well how depressed and beleaguered I've been for the past 6 months, how low I got. Things have been really heating up in my neighborhood; someone came through and lit up a carport down the road from my place just a month ago. A close friend of mine got robbed at gunpoint a couple weeks ago like 10 minutes from my place.

Ashley and I have our sights on an apartment in Toluca Lake half a mile from Miley's old house. So yeah, that's a box checked. It's about as cramped as our current one, but the layout is better, the neighborhood is great and we're finally getting central air. Nothing special, but with a child, safety is so important, and that comes at a price in large cities.

If anyone remembers how fucking low I was at the beginning of the pandemic, please know that this is a great and unexpected turnaround. For the longest time I felt I was holding my family back and now I'm getting a real shot. My first day is tomorrow and it's just an orientation day. I'm guessing this week will be pretty slow and then ramp up fully come Monday.

That's great news Travis!
Congrats and good luck with the new opportunities.

That's all well and good and I'm happy for you, but can somebody please sign up to be the 8th and final team in our Interference fantasy football league?

That was just a roundabout way of saying that I can't sign up because I'm too damn busy.

ha fine, if nobody else wants to, i can be number 8. When's the draft?

Amazing, LM. Congrats. Really happy to hear. Not sure Toluca Lake is that safe though; I know of at least one actress/songstress who drowned there.

Some positive personal news to share with you guys:

The pandemic has made the job market a cruel place, perhaps especially for those of us in education, but I landed a really terrific job opportunity weeks into the school year. Almost 7 years after graduating from college, I have salaried career job that I actually want.

The job is tough. I'm gonna be teaching English in a dropout recovery program for young adults 16-24 trying to get their life on track. They go to learn a trade, get a full diploma instead of a GED and really make something of themselves. The class sizes are only 10-15 students each, which is amazing, and they run off their own curriculum so I don't have to get bogged down in lesson planning. I get to make a direct impact on the economy instead of teaching kids who only understand the value of education in the abstract. The age range/experience level is exactly what I wanted and because their curriculum is online they won't be forcing us into the classroom immediately. Benefits are really good too and HR was generous enough to move me up the pay scale for experience I couldn't quite fulfill. Basically slid me 5k a year.

And all this in the middle of a pandemic and economic crisis. Thank God for Ashley telling me to stop crying, get off the couch and be active. I pretty much gave up, honestly. No interviews for months and then the stars lined up at the 11th hour after an application I sent out on a whim at 5 AM. You guys know full well how depressed and beleaguered I've been for the past 6 months, how low I got. Things have been really heating up in my neighborhood; someone came through and lit up a carport down the road from my place just a month ago. A close friend of mine got robbed at gunpoint a couple weeks ago like 10 minutes from my place.

Ashley and I have our sights on an apartment in Toluca Lake half a mile from Miley's old house. So yeah, that's a box checked. It's about as cramped as our current one, but the layout is better, the neighborhood is great and we're finally getting central air. Nothing special, but with a child, safety is so important, and that comes at a price in large cities.

If anyone remembers how fucking low I was at the beginning of the pandemic, please know that this is a great and unexpected turnaround. For the longest time I felt I was holding my family back and now I'm getting a real shot. My first day is tomorrow and it's just an orientation day. I'm guessing this week will be pretty slow and then ramp up fully come Monday.
Awesome. And good on the wife for giving you that little push you needed.
Hope you enjoy the job, I'm sure you'll be great at it.
Good luck on the move.

ha fine, if nobody else wants to, i can be number 8. When's the draft?

Draft can't be set until we get the 8th team signed up, so once you sign up she can set it for either tonight or tomorrow I'd guess.
Thread in Put Em Under Pressure has link to league.

That’s great, LM. Very happy for you and the family. Good luck in the new job!

Things that I never thought I'd hear - Julien Baker covering Blink-182, or Or Mac Demarco doing a pitch-shifted, synth version of Nickelback's Photograph, which, I hate to say, I think is actually a low-key banger.

Fucking hell I need to stop coming through here only when I'm really drunk. I'm sober right now, you'll be glad to know. Great, fantastic news LM, I'm stoked for you. Hope everyone else is faring well.

I haven't listened to Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety in a long time. I did yesterday while on a run and was completely floored by the vocal take in Great Gig in the Sky. Had forgotten how powerful it is.

One of the most baffling things in music history to me is how anyone can dislike that song.

Great Gig is literally one of the worst things ever recorded, what the fuck is wrong with some of you. Truly disgusting bullshit that makes me doubt you even have ears.

(I am drunk now, soz.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom