Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phoebe_bridgers_2020.png

The Phoebe Bridgers album is so good.

Kyoto does stand out because it's so upbeat in comparison, but I also really loved a few other tracks on first listen. The closer I Know The End...when those clear guitar strums come in up til the end. That's awesome stuff. When it really gets going it reminds me of something you'd hear on an old Sufjan album, like Illinois.

Come to think of it, she kinda reminds me of Sufjan in general. I had never really thought of that comparison until now.

That's a good call, GAF. Perhaps a bit less maximalist with composition than Sufjan, but I get where you are coming from.

I feel the same way. When I first heard Kyoto I couldn't help thinking of what an album with that kind of mood would sound like, but even if the rest is not as much of a departure from Stranger in the Alps, it's really great.

I Know the End was the other song that really stood out to me on first listen.

Her profile in The New Yorker a few weeks ago was really good: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/25/phoebe-bridgers-frank-anxious-music

Marquee Moon and Elevation. Since they're back to back, I'm swept away for 15 minutes straight.

Reading about the Bridgers album, it sounds like Kyoto was a slower song that got sped up, and that Chinese Satellite was a much rockier song that got stripped down. She specifically said she worried Chinese Satellite sounded too much like "U2 shit."

Say what you will about 2020 Pitchfork, but their Sunday classics reviews have been exceptional. This week was Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, which I checked out on their recommendation. Damn, the title song might be the best guitar track I have ever heard. Eddie Hazel should be way better known.

In extremely random music news, I was watching an old episode of Sesame Street with my daughter, and Kevin Kline / Phoebe Cates were guests, which led me down the Wikipedia rabbit hole of discovering that Frankie Cosmos is their daughter.

She lied to me. Her dad is NOT a fireman. I'm pissed.

Say what you will about 2020 Pitchfork, but their Sunday classics reviews have been exceptional. This week was Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, which I checked out on their recommendation. Damn, the title song might be the best guitar track I have ever heard. Eddie Hazel should be way better known.

That track was covered on Mike Watt's all-star album Ballhog or Tug Boat?, with J Mascis performing the guitar duties.

Both are legit mind-blowing.

Yeah the Maggot Brain title track rules.

I've been meaning to check out more of both Funkadelic and Parliament. Always been a bit confused about the difference in those bands, especially because there is also Parliament-Funkadelic? It's probably not that complicated but I haven't looked into it much.

A lot of cross-pollination and shared members, as well as a shared sound and ethos, you can think of Parliament-Funkadelic as a collective.

I've always loved what I've heard but also not heard much, which is an indictment on myself given they are P-Funk, upon which OutKast is built.

That track was covered on Mike Watt's all-star album Ballhog or Tug Boat?, with J Mascis performing the guitar duties.

Both are legit mind-blowing.

I submit for your approval, one Mike McCready...

I like the live version on One Nation Under a Groove even more than the amazing original:

Think! It ain't illegal yet!

I’m enjoying all the love for Maggot Brain. I bought this record a few years ago and really like it a lot, but somehow I don’t think we ever discussed it here.

I forget what inspired it, but I did listen to Maggot Brain a couple of years ago. It's definitely one I would have needed a recommendation for, as that title is not the sort of thing that would inspire me to listen to it.

Maggot Brain - 10
Can You Get to That - 9
Hit it and Quit it - 8
You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks - 9
Super Stupid - 10
Back in Our Minds - 7 (André 3000's Love Below-era vocals come directly from this track!)
Wars of Armageddon - 10

I also really, really liked I Miss My Baby, which is on the extended version, although it doesn't sound anything like the rest of the album. And the alt mix of Maggot Brain is interesting to hear, but the keys don't fit. George Clinton made a good call cutting it to just the guitar.

I think a few of us in here belong to Vinyl Me Please, which generally has a good track record with record of the month and other curated picks. Well, this month they inexplicably chose a John Mayer album as their "classic" selection. Suffice it to say the Instagram comments are not kind. :lol: I swapped it immediately.

Seriously. I immediately clicked on the McCoy Tyner album, which I’m excited to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom