Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supermassive Black Hole was just so much fun when it dropped. And Knights of Cydonia was gloriously bombastic. Album was a mixed bag but those 2 really sold it at the time.

Those were the two that killed it for me. :lol:

Well, it was only Supermassive Black Hole that I really hated on its merits (and still consider one of the band's worst songs). I was more put off Cydonia by the unbearable hyperbole about it as a Muse ultimate classic. It's one of the tracks I've come to appreciate more with the passage of time.

Origin of Symmetry is definitely where it's at though, agreed. I'll go to the wall for that album as a legit great one. First half of Showbiz and most of Absolution are aces too, and the Dead Star/In Your World single gave me two of my top five Muse tracks.

monkeyskin! great to see you mate.

also, there is so much activity in here of late that we could almost be like "what is this random Muse talk take it to the Muse thread"

also, fuck Muse

Fair enough on Supermassive, it was a left turn from before and definitely signaled the end of classic Muse. Cydonia feels like a lark but it's juuuuust on the right side of stupid.

When the double single you mentioned dropped after Origin they felt unstoppable.

Hey cobs! Been lurking as usual but feeling more social in isolation.

Wow, I don't know if I've heard Hejira before or not, but based on this listen, I think this is easily my favorite Joni LP.

Also just heard my first Rocket From The Crypt album. They don't sound like what I thought at all. Quite enjoyed Scream, Dracula, Scream!. Anyone have thoughts if they're worth continuing with?

Wow, I don't know if I've heard Hejira before or not, but based on this listen, I think this is easily my favorite Joni LP.

I'm slightly more partial to its predecessor The Hissing of Summer Lawns but Hejira is a masterpiece and I love how it moves even further away from pop and into the jazz fusion direction. When you combine Jaco Pastorius's fretless bass playing and Joni's unique guitar chords, you've got something that sounds like nothing else in music.

Coyote is maybe my favorite track of hers.

Has anyone here watched the new High Fidelity series on Hulu?

That might be the most B&C show I can think of, more so than the movie or the book. There is a discussion about Fleetwood Mac's Rumors in the beginning that could have come straight from this forum.

That one and "A Strange Boy" were my favorites.

I just loved this. With the bass and her singing, there was just that little extra bit of UMPH that you don't get out of folk music. Not that I don't love what Joni does normally. This was just like....this one goes to 11, you know?

Ashley, what can you tell me about A Girl Called Eddy?

Oh, hello there.

Do you like Steely Dan?

Do you like female vocalists?

Do you like poptimistic music?

Boy do I have a song for you:

Also I mentioned this ages ago, lol: U2 Feedback

But you didn't come here for that song, because you heard it on LM's DI list, didn't you?

Here's my other two favorites from her record this year:

This one actually has a little bit more of a Pretenders thing going on.

TBH, this is the only album I've heard. I'm glad you brought it up, because I meant to go back and listen to more and then COVID and work got crazy and I just forgot all about it.

I feel like this is a good day to listen to Nirvana’s Bleach in order to honor the president.

Finally listened to the new PRR album. Man, I missed those vocal harmonies.

Only one listen thus far, but it sounded great. Silent Genesis is fantastic.

I might have to take some time and listen to The Dark Third now. It’s been awhile.

Finally listened to the new PRR album. Man, I missed those vocal harmonies.

Only one listen thus far, but it sounded great. Silent Genesis is fantastic.

I might have to take some time and listen to The Dark Third now. It’s been awhile.

:up:

You might also want to check out Bullet Height, if you haven't already. It's basically Jon Courtney with a Chloe Alper soundalike. The PRR you have when you're not having PRR.

Oh, hello there.

Do you like Steely Dan?

Do you like female vocalists?

Do you like poptimistic music?

Boy do I have a song for you:

Also I mentioned this ages ago, lol: https://www.u2interference.com/foru...vi-the-woy-eet-eez-222670-33.html#post8321929

But you didn't come here for that song, because you heard it on LM's DI list, didn't you?

Here's my other two favorites from her record this year:

This one actually has a little bit more of a Pretenders thing going on.

TBH, this is the only album I've heard. I'm glad you brought it up, because I meant to go back and listen to more and then COVID and work got crazy and I just forgot all about it.

Thank you! And yeah, I scroll past a lot of posts recommending songs. So I'm thankful for DI, because I really, really, really enjoyed Jody (and I always love it when I think of a comparison and then someone else makes the same one!)

It sounds like she's actually been around a while, but Been Around is her first new record in like 15 years.

I listened to it and will definitely buy it... some tracks felt a bit on-the-nose, but there's enough good to make me go back. Aside from Jody, which is spectacular, I really enjoyed Finest Actor and NY Man. Thanks Ashley :)

Part of me was hoping Ashley would just have cut-and-pasted the Wikipedia entry, for old time's sake.

:lol: the perfect opportunity missed!

Two albums that I come back to really, really often and are probably in my all-time top 30 and 50 respectively: Sun Kil Moon’s Benji and blink 182’s self-titled.

Blink really pulled a Dylan by not including Not Now on their untitled album. Glad it was put out on the greatest hits as a swan song though.

:up:

You might also want to check out Bullet Height, if you haven't already. It's basically Jon Courtney with a Chloe Alper soundalike. The PRR you have when you're not having PRR.

Thanks, hadn’t heard that. Will definitely look for it.

Listened to The Dark Third yesterday while working. Still such a glorious album.

On non-DI chat... Bowie's new release is great. Recordings of an in-studio performance from the mid-90s - it has really fantastic stripped-down versions of some deeper cuts in Aladdin Sane, Lady Stardust, Andy Warhol and Quicksand. Terrific to hear, I can take or leave the other tracks, but it made me sad all over again. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom