Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #721
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Non music interlude:

November is the month to be thankful, right? Last November mrs. tourist and I lost a baby boy halfway through the second trimester. As of today, mrs. tourist is 32 weeks along and everything looks fantastic. If the baby we lost had lived, this baby would never have existed. So I’m thankful for this baby and how he seems healthy. But I still haven’t stopped saying “if” instead of “when”... and I probably won’t until he’s born.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #722
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:51 AM
So glad everything's going well for your wife, tourist . I totally understand your concerns, though. But I'm sending good wishes and thoughts to both of you, and hope all continues to go well .

Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #723
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Non music interlude:

November is the month to be thankful, right? Last November mrs. tourist and I lost a baby boy halfway through the second trimester. As of today, mrs. tourist is 32 weeks along and everything looks fantastic. If the baby we lost had lived, this baby would never have existed. So I’m thankful for this baby and how he seems healthy. But I still haven’t stopped saying “if” instead of “when”... and I probably won’t until he’s born.
You and your wife have my best wishes!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #724
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sending happy thoughts and best wishes to y'all!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #725
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Non music interlude:

My wife miscarried before my son was born (though not as far along as your wife), so I know what you're dealing with. Very difficult, but in a short time you'll have a healthy son and it will be much easier to put the miscarriage completely in the past. (And then 13 years from now the little bastard will be driving you crazy, trust me ).

Best of luck to you and the Mrs. over the next 8 weeks, maybe you'll have a Christmas baby.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 AM   #726
45:33

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Best of luck, tourist I'm sure you'll make a great dad
Old 11-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #727

Who has heard Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile's Lotta Sea Lice? I've been spinning it a lot of the weekend, I dig it. Over Everything is a terrific collab, then I think the next few tracks wobble a bit, but from Continental Breakfast (which has my favourite Kurt Vile vibe) onwards I love it. And CB's cover of Peepin Tom is fantastic.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #728
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Best of luck, tourist I'm sure you'll make a great dad

Hey now, I’ve already been a dad for over two years! Ha ha!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:20 AM   #729
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Who has heard Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile's Lotta Sea Lice? I've been spinning it a lot of the weekend, I dig it. Over Everything is a terrific collab, then I think the next few tracks wobble a bit, but from Continental Breakfast (which has my favourite Kurt Vile vibe) onwards I love it. And CB's cover of Peepin Tom is fantastic.
I like it. It's a nice laid-back album. The only song I love is Over Everything though. The rest ranges from pretty good to a bit boring. There's also some jarringly out of tune singing going on in certain tracks.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #730

And how's the War on Drugs album shaping up for everyone? Finally listening now. Certainly impressive, if more of the same, but if that's what you were after then you'd be stoked.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #731
ONE
love, blood, life

I've bounced hard off that War On Drugs album. As in, we're done. It's unutterably bland. It's like more of the worst parts of Lost In The Dream, and somebody forgot to turn the tape recorder off.

And I actually think it's not remotely impressive. There is nothing here with the urgency or fascination of Under the Pressure or Red Eyes or even An Ocean In Between The Waves.

Maybe I'd roll with what he's doing here if he were a great singer or lyricist, but he is neither.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #732
More 5G Than Man

It hits the spot when that's the exact sound I'm looking for, it's top shelf background music, but I find it less appealing to listen to closely than their past couple of albums. Too much of a pretty good thing.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #733
Vocal parasite

It's wonderfully consistent. Lost in the Dream has better highs, and few songs stick out individually, but I find it very enjoyable as a whole.

I can't get into the pre-Lost in the Dream stuff though.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #734
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:

You will likely not be surprised to hear that I love it.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #735
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
And how's the War on Drugs album shaping up for everyone? Finally listening now. Certainly impressive, if more of the same, but if that's what you were after then you'd be stoked.

You will likely not be surprised to hear that I love it.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #736
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The songs sounded great live, but the vocal blandness is too much for me on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think I can comfortably confirm that A Deeper Understanding does not really come close to matching Lost In The Dream for me.

Like one of you mentioned earlier, the peaks and highlights of Lost in the Dream aren't really matched here, but it is very consistent across the board. There are no songs that I dislike or regret.

There is nothing as exhilarating as Under the Pressure (which I have the absolute highest regard for - it is one of finest songs I've ever heard).

Clean Living, Nothing To Find and Up All Night are all really cool.

Pain is probably my favourite, beautifully assembled, Granduciel's delivery is stunning and is up with the best of their songs.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #738

Yeah I was quite impressed by Clean Living (SUCH beautiful piano). Strangest Thing, Nothing to Find, Pain, probably my other favs.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #739

I didn't have it in my end of year top 10, because it was released quite late and it wasn't really until this year that I really started listening to it, but Tribe's album is fucking incredible. Would be my AOTY right now.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:51 AM
did you guys like new Angel Olsen's compilation album?

Closed Thread