Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I just love this album. I was trying to explain the album and why it was so great to my relatives on Christmas. They were quite skeptical, but alas I wasn't able to just play it for them so they'd understand.

Hope you all had a great holiday!

I laugh like an idiot listening to much of it, but there is something extremely comforting about listening to Bob Dylan croon Silver Bells. He's earned every creak in that voice of his and he's using it for Christmas music. It's interesting.

Last edited:
I'm off to ring in the new year by dining on Rock Lobster, then heading over to The Deadbeat Club to Dance This Mess Around with 52 Girls.

See you folks next year.

Happy New Year. 2018 it is.

Friggin' New South Wales can't even do fireworks properly. Degenerate state. Would you believe that here in Wollongong, there were only fireworks at 9pm? No midnight fireworks in the entire Illawarra region - the latest were at 10pm. What the actual fuck. An exploding barge might've helped.

Beside the fireworks was an illuminated and very phallic lighthouse. I managed to catch myself before making a Lance's Mum joke, which would've been very difficult to explain to my friends and their mates that I had only just met.

I'm surprised the whole state didn't have a pre-midnight curfew.

A few of us tried to go to a bar just before 1:30am. It was closing.

Victoria must secede from this failed country.

Friggin' New South Wales can't even do fireworks properly. Degenerate state. Would you believe that here in Wollongong, there were only fireworks at 9pm? No midnight fireworks in the entire Illawarra region - the latest were at 10pm. What the actual fuck. An exploding barge might've helped.

Our town didn't have a fireworks display-we never do (and even if we had, it's too friggin' cold, so it's not like anyone would be heading out to see it anyway). But we had random people shooting off fireworks in our neighborhood here last night, up to nearly 2 in the morning. That was obnoxious (and why any individual person would be out in this kind of weather late at night shooting off fireworks is beyond me, but whatever).

Meh. Anywho, happy new year, everyone! May 2018 be a good year for all of you :).

Been listening to some Red House Painters today as I'm doing some me time for the upcoming year. I tell you, Mark Kozelek must have, pound-for-pound, the highest amount of decidedly pretty, beautiful music of almost anyone. I know he's become an arsehole of late but holy shit his catalogue is so stacked with great music.

Actually, how about prettiest albums? I'd pick something like this:

1. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
2. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
3. God Is an Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright
4. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde (or Shelter, perhaps)
5. Hammock - Departure Songs
6. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

Those six suggest themselves ahead of all others, and it's probably no accident that four are post-rock. But I thought about including more stuff from other genres. Maybe a Slowdive album? Chapterhouse's Whirlpool is quite a pretty take on shoegaze. Martin Phillipps sure knows his way around a pretty jangle pop melody, but is Submarine Bells pretty enough to deserve a high ranking? Perhaps you have to be a black metal fan to find Wolves in the Throne Room pretty. Turnover's new album Good Nature is very pretty, but doesn't match the above for quality. And I will fight anyone who thinks The Church's Seance doesn't have some very pretty moments indeed.

I had a good year as well. I fucking hate this stupid fucking "worst year ever" meme, it was the exact same last year cos Bowie and Prince and Leonard Cohen died. And now 2017 is the worst year ever. Fuck off.

It was a horrendously bad year for me for many personal reasons, but the last 3 weeks have been really good and give me some hope that 2018 will be a big improvement.

I had a good year as well. I fucking hate this stupid fucking "worst year ever" meme, it was the exact same last year cos Bowie and Prince and Leonard Cohen died. And now 2017 is the worst year ever. Fuck off.

No, you fuck off. Whether people are saying it was the "worst year ever" or not, it has nothing to do with what happened to them personally or how many musicians died. It has to do with the perception that globally things are trending in the wrong direction. I don't have to list everything that happened last year, but from Charlottesville to Puerto Rico and many other places around the globe, it wasn't a banner year for a lot of people.

I completely agree and I am certainly privileged because I am white, straight, male and live in Australia, so I'm immune from a lot of the awful shit that's happening.

But I would argue that, on the face of things, you could weigh up all the events in any year and realise that each year has its shit.

And the other point to make is that the vast majority of people being like "2017 was a bin fire lol" are people jumping on a stupid meme bandwagon, not people intelligently looking at the events of the year and political trends. So I think it has a lot to do with what happened to them personally or how many musicians died. At least from what I've seen.

Seriously, it's the dumbest fucking meme.

Especially as, on many measures, the world got better in 2017 rather than worse. It's crazy seeing some people getting attacked simply for saying that they had a good year personally. I especially love it when Yanks who are all #RESIST join in on this. 2016 remains the nadir in a political sense - so many things we thought wouldn't, couldn't happen, until they did. 2017 was just the obvious, predictable outcome of those events.

And hey Donald thinks he stopped all our planes from crashing. :happy:

"jeff goldblum and the mildred snitzer orchestra" sounds pretty intriguing if you ask me.

edit: lol i was looking at a fake poster and didn't even realize. led zeppelin headlining on sunday probably should have tipped me off :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want to be hyperbolic, but on first glance, that might be the worst Coachella lineup they've ever assembled. There are a few great artists on there and I know Beyonce will put on a great show. But for the prices they charge? Not worth it.

zomg KYGO at COCHELLA wil he do UR DA BEST THANG BOUT MEEEE?!??!?! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom