Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 AM   #481
45:33

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Anyone else seen him live? Not sure why he bothers. Anti-performance.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:03 AM
i have some mixed feeling about math Ariel Pink album tbh

Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #483
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

dammit i can't spell
Old 09-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #484
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
I like the most recent Tim Hecker. Is this the first music taste thing iyup and I have in common? Perhaps.
Depeche Mode maybe???
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #485
ONE
love, blood, life

https://pitchfork.com/news/wild-beasts-call-it-quits/

Well this sucks. I guess there weren't many fans in here, but they were one of the best indie bands going.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #486
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 12:03 AM
That does suck. I didn't like their last album, but their first four were quality.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 AM   #487
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Depeche Mode maybe???

Yes.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #488
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Here's something I reckon some of you will like: Kiwi songwriter Nadia Reid. I never expected to dig her music myself but her new album Preservation has some great songs on it.

This one is her most prominent, because it's been nominated for the Silver Scroll, which is awarded in a couple of nights (other nominees this year include Lorde's "Green Light" and Aldous Harding's "Horizon"):

I can't find my favourite from Preservation, "Right on Time", on YouTube except for a shitty live version, so go Spotify it or whatever. But this is my second-favourite. I generally prefer the songs that aren't too sparse, but damn the guitar sounds gorgeous here:

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #489
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Have been listening to that Nadia Reid album for a couple of months now.
Probably a top 10 album of the year.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #490
More 5G Than Man

Blur's Great Escape album is a mess but there are a handful of their best songs ever on there. Like I just can't over how amazing The Universal is. Who doesn't like that song? If that person exists, fuck you. It's perfect.

I also really like Yuko and Hiro. I always forget about that song, but it's one of the saddest things Albarn ever wrote. For an album about the dangers of upper class ennui and working yourself to death for nothing, it's really interesting (and appropriate, considering the social structure there) that he jumped to a different continent and reflected these themes in the lives of two Japanese co-workers slowly destroying themselves for what they perceive to be a greater cause.

This is my workplace, and these are the people I work with
Yuko and Hiro, we work together
We work for the company that looks to the future
We work hard to please them, they will protect us

I never see you
We're never together
I'll love you forever

I drink in the evenings, it helps with relaxing
I can't sleep without drinking, we drink together
From Monday to Saturday, I go to my workplace
But on Sunday we're together, Yuko and Hiro

I never see you
We're never together
I'll love you forever

God, that's bleak. That's in No Surprises territory. The album is full of scathing material like that but I dunno, a lot of it sounds musically redundant and not as melodically potent as Parklife. It was good that they switched directions for the next album, but I do go back to Great Escape because it's so lavishly depressing.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #491
Blue Crack Supplier

Good observations. I'll say a couple things here: it's easy to compare this to Be Here Now (despite the fact that Morning Glory is the album that came out at the same time as Blur's), because it's the follow-up to a huge commercial and critical hit and one could throw the accusations of bloat at both. But while Be Here Now is inflated with the hot air of self-importance and empty grandstanding, The Great Escape is I think more ironic in the way it's over the top, and as you said Albarn's writing doesn't sound like a comfortable guy cashing in.

If you haven't read this I think it's a great analysis of what the album does well:

https://www.stereogum.com/1830132/th...e-anniversary/

Yes, it could use some trimming by a couple tracks, but you could say that about most of their LPs (and it's something Pulp is guilty of as well). Personally, I'll take this over 13, which is less detached and more autobiographically emotional, but it's a bit of a slog and I don't find the instrumentation and arrangements to be as interesting. I didn't mind them wading into more dissonant waters, but I think they achieved so much on the self-titled and didn't really get much further with the follow-up.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #492
ONE
love, blood, life

When I ran through Blur's discography earlier this year, The Great Escape was the one that stuck with me least (the s/t struck me the most). Perhaps I should give it another go.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #493
Blue Crack Supplier

It's pretty dense compared to the others and really improves with repeat listens.

Leisure is easily their weakest for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #494
Blue Crack Supplier

Tommy Stinson of the Replacements resurrected his early 90s band Bash & Pop earlier this year, odd in that they had only put out one album back in 1993 (Friday Night Is Killing Me, which is surprisingly fantastic), and none of the other original members were part of this reunion. For some reason I was asleep at the wheel and finally bought the download last night.

Anyway, boy does it deliver, with more than a handful of catch melodies and clever lyrics. Nothing new sonically, but if you're in the mood for the Faces/Rolling Stones vibe that the Replacements were so good at exploring, this will be right up your alley, or gutter as it were. Tommy's vocal delivery is pretty close to Paul's, so it often feels like the missing link between All Shook Down and the rougher, basement-quality sound of Paul's later solo work.

Between this and Paul's collaboration with Juliana Hatfield from last year, these guys are making a big comeback quality-wise, if not a big splash in media coverage.

Funny take on lyric videos:

Dig that Ronnie Lane Faces vibe:

Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #495
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
https://pitchfork.com/news/wild-beasts-call-it-quits/

Well this sucks. I guess there weren't many fans in here, but they were one of the best indie bands going.
I was a fan, though I 've actually only listened to their last two albums. I was considering going to a gig of theirs a year ago but I didn't end up going, oh well.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #496
Refugee

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Always love a bit of random Blur talk, great link Laz. Interesting comparison to Be Here Now with regards to the bloat and excess following a career defining success. I'd only add that The Great Escape still had the surface sheen of Britpop of the time, whereas Be Here Now was a definitive end to the era.

I favour both the S/T and 13, but my first thought of Blur will always be the Parklife / Country House years. It's a testament to them that they could produce their best work after their commercial peak, whilst Oasis just trudged on interminably. (I say that as s big fan of their first two albums.)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #497
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 AM
MACKENZlE SCOTT DOES IT AGAIN
Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

TRAVIS SCOTT DOES IT AGAIN

Sorry just excited about the Kim Campesinos! pregnancy news.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #499
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Birds In The Womb Sing Hung Empty.

Seriously though, the new Torres record is fantastic. Don't some folks here like her? Come tell me I'm right. I need this.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #500
ONE
love, blood, life

Gonna check it out this weekend. The title track is definitely interesting, I'll say that.

Closed Thread