Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #361
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 03:58 AM
My favorite Jew Wave album:

Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #362
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Great album.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #363
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Toronto's Choir! Choir! Choir! pays tribute to Walter Becker.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #364
Blue Crack Addict

I think that I feel about Radiohead how many B&C posters feel about U2.

I just listened to Kid A and Amnesiac today and loved every darn second of those two records.

In contrast, I've only listened to The King Of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool once each, and I strongly disliked both upon first listen (enough to not want to revisit). I'd love for them to eventually surprise me and release something I actually like again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #365
Blue Crack Distributor

I liked KOL a lot more after seeing the tour. I need to spend more time with the last one, but I was bummed there wasn't more on it I loved as much as Burn the Witch.

I don't get stoned more than once a month or so, but when I do, I like to listen to music. Not to be a cliche, but holy shit, Radiohead is fascinating and mesmerizing when stoned. Tee hee.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #366
Blue Crack Distributor

Finally watching the concert DVD that came with the Purple Rain reissue.

Showtime is airing Sign O' the Times concert film this weekend - it's on their streaming service starting Sunday.

I signed up for Showtime through Amazon Prime for Twin Peaks but kept it until this came on. Looking forward to it - maybe it'll come out on DVD down the road.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #367
ONE
love, blood, life

I mean, a lot of people were disappointed with KOL, but A Moon Shaped Pool was a big return to form, imo. It's a gorgeous record, front to back. Greenwood's string arrangements are thrilling, and that combined with Thom's most direct songwriting since at least In Rainbows, maybe even HTTT, makes for an exciting record. I love it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #368
More 5G Than Man

I like A Moon Shaped Pool far more than any U2 album since the 90s. It's one of their best works.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #369
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I don't get stoned more than once a month or so, but when I do, I like to listen to music. Not to be a cliche, but holy shit, Radiohead is fascinating and mesmerizing when stoned. Tee hee.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #370
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I like A Moon Shaped Pool far more than any U2 album since the 90s. It's one of their best works.
Well, it's more consistent, that's for sure.

But I'll still take the 5 best songs from No Line over the best of what AMSP has to offer.

Not sure why we're comparing later Radiohead to 2000s U2, anyway. Say what you want about the last 2 Radiohead albums, but they haven't been second-guessed to death and the band at least seems to be operating outside the whims of the marketplace.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #371
45:33

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I think that I feel about Radiohead how many B&C posters feel about U2.

I just listened to Kid A and Amnesiac today and loved every darn second of those two records.

In contrast, I've only listened to The King Of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool once each, and I strongly disliked both upon first listen (enough to not want to revisit). I'd love for them to eventually surprise me and release something I actually like again, but I'm not holding my breath.

What is there to strongly dislike out of interest? I can understand not digging either (I like one and adore the other) but strongly dislike seems very visceral for two records that really don't have any moments that could be considered awful?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:54 AM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
What is there to strongly dislike out of interest? I can understand not digging either (I like one and adore the other) but strongly dislike seems very visceral for two records that really don't have any moments that could be considered awful?
I haven't thought of King Of Limbs in years. I remember it being glitch-heavy (which I detest) with completely unmemorable vocals.

Out of curiosity and since people have said they love A Moon Shaped Pool on here today, I just decided to listen to it on Amazon Prime. My opinion, largely, has not changed. Unmemorable vocals. The only vocal that comes back to me even five minutes after the end of the album is True Love Waits, but that's probably because I already knew it from its wholly superior live version. Man this version of that song bums me out because of how much I loved the former arrangement.

Only a couple of the songs resonated with me musically. When one came on that I actually really liked both vocally and musically (though the melody is now gone already), I decided to look at the title. And immediately did an eyeroll because the title of the song made me eyeroll in probably the same way people on here roll their eyes at the names of U2 songs - while U2 has long titles, Radiohead has quirky misspellings and made up nonsense. Indentikit.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not sure why we're comparing later Radiohead to 2000s U2, anyway. Say what you want about the last 2 Radiohead albums, but they haven't been second-guessed to death and the band at least seems to be operating outside the whims of the marketplace.
I'm not comparing the bands. I'm comparing my reaction to what a band I loved is doing now to the majority-consensus reaction to what another band they loved is doing now.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #374
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Radiohead has quirky misspellings and made up nonsense. Indentikit.
Identikit

Noun

1. A picture of a person, reconstructed from strips showing facial features selected to match witnesses' descriptions; used by the police to build a likeness of a person sought for a crime.

2. A composite sketch generated by a sketch artist, software, or a box of facial features on transparent foils that police officers and other public service professionals use to create a likeness of a person from a witness description.

Adjective

1. Produced by or as if by the routine assembly of stock materials :lacking variety or individuality: prefabricated, stereotyped

"the type of bland, middlebrow, identikit novel" —Quentin Oates
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #375
45:33

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Yeah that's a weird thing to take issue with.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #376
More 5G Than Man

It's actually a really interesting metaphor if we're talking about relationships. Kind of seems to pertain to the way we construct our mental images of other people, usually unrealistic ones, in a way that's difficult to live up to.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:58 AM
what do you guys think of new Alvvays album?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #378
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
what do you guys think of new Alvvays album?
It was fine, nothing special.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It was fine, nothing special.
well i immensely enjoyed lots of their singles and then i listened to the actual albums and thought, "hm that was literally the best shit they've got. it was like one of those movies where spoilers are the only good thing about the movie"
Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Identikit

Noun

1. A picture of a person, reconstructed from strips showing facial features selected to match witnesses' descriptions; used by the police to build a likeness of a person sought for a crime.

2. A composite sketch generated by a sketch artist, software, or a box of facial features on transparent foils that police officers and other public service professionals use to create a likeness of a person from a witness description.

Adjective

1. Produced by or as if by the routine assembly of stock materials :lacking variety or individuality: prefabricated, stereotyped

"the type of bland, middlebrow, identikit novel" —Quentin Oates
That's what I get for not looking it up to make sure. I just assumed it was a play on something or an intentional misspelling like Ful Stop.

Closed Thread