Los Planetas (not latin-pop; DREAM-pop)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I didn't want to make a Random post about a 90s Spanish dream-pop band because it would be Shoutered into oblivion by cocks and Lance's mom brownie-fucking. plus, I wanted to be a dick and post a bunch of links because, hell, these guys are awesome and I don't know if all of their music is even in print or not.

So, OK, I'm just familiar with their debut Super 8 (reminded me of GAF for whatever reason, so I picked it) for now. It's like a sexy, unholy combination of the following bands in various degrees:

Ride
My Bloody Valentine
Galaxie 500
R.E.M. (1982-1990)
Radiohead (1993-1996)
Teenage Fanclub
Super Furry Animals

And, because it's in Spanish, the lyrics are slightly more decipherable than shoegaze/dream-pop lyrics typically are!

Galaxie 500-y:

YouTube - Los Planetas - Si esta bien

Ride-y:

YouTube - LOS PLANETAS - REY SOMBRA

R.E.M.-y:

YouTube - DESORDEN @ Los planetas

I don't know if anyone here knows anything about them, but I want to know where to proceed from here. We all need more music like this in our lives.

I think you'll love them. Bear in mind that it's definitely closer to hazy jangle-pop than, say, Slowdive or This Mortal Coil.

Great so far.

Love the artwork, too.

1244919910934_f.jpg

Liked that first one a lot, so I ACQUIRED the Super 8 album.

The CD is import-only on amazon (and unavailable), but I saw that it was available in the MP3 store for, uh, $17. I'll keep a lookout for vinyl.

Favorite track?

The first one, maybe?

Also, out of all the bands you mentioned, you failed to list the one I think they sound the most like: Yo La Tengo.

Then there's the added irony of their band name also being in Spanish.

How's this for a bump?

I now have like 5 of their albums and apparently they released something fairly recently.

Probably putting one of their tracks (not one from Super 8) on my Desert Disc list.

Back
Top Bottom