Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to my local indie record store today at 2pm (when their shipments are supposed to arrive) to pick up my copy of the album. As I walked in, the guy looks at me and says, "Sorry, it's not coming until tomorrow."

Indie fail.

How To Write A Hipster Review:

1. Establish your indie cred.

As a very, very long-time BSS fan (well, since YFIIP, anyway),

2. Express disappointment with new material.

I just wanted to chime in to express profound disappointment.

3. Explain how the old stuff was so much better.

but when you compare this sound to the last two OG BSS albums, you know what I mean), don't like the lyrics or especially the vocals, don't like the melodies, don't like...well, anything. "World Sick" is okay, and I do actively like "Meet Me In The Basement," but even that sounds a lot better live. I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING. This version's good, for sure. But I do wish that it was longer, and more krauty a la the live version.

4. Emote like the older, 'wiser' Emo kid you really are ...

Again, please don't hate. I'm not hating. I'm just sad. And I wonder if anybody feels the same way. Maybe...? Anyway, continue. I don't mean to derail. I'm just speechless, as I didn't see this coming.

It's missing a pointless anecdote about a personal experience that relates to the topic at hand in a tenuous manner, begging questions such as "who the fuck is this guy?" and "why should I care?" Otherwise, yep, it's prototypical.

It's missing a pointless anecdote about a personal experience that relates to the topic at hand in a tenuous manner, begging questions such as "who the fuck is this guy?" and "why should I care?" Otherwise, yep, it's prototypical.

Ahem

I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING.

Why do you seem to be so angry with me, all the time? Genuine question. Hilarious try, though! I apologize for not liking a record whose songs I dislike, just like their first album, Beehives, and the two Presents... records.

I don't understand how I'm wrong for not liking a group of songs I don't like...? I only like 1.5 BSS records to begin with. But given that I already have disliked most of the band's catalog (but LOOOOOOOOOOOVED one record and half of the s-t), I suppose that it is rather predictable that, you know, my taste is consistent. I haven't ever really, really, really disliked their stuff until most of this record, though.

And what is that predictable pattern not of criticism, but rather admitting that I simply don't like something? Have I failed in some way by accepting and explaining my opinions?

I think that can be filed under establishing indie cred.

I was referring to shit like this:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Radiohead: Kid A

I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

The Italians surrounding me held their breath in communion (save for the drunken few shouting "Criep!"). Suddenly, a rise of whistles and orgasmic cries swept unfittingly through the crowd. The song, "Egyptian Song," was certainly momentous, but wasn't the response more apt for, well, "Creep?" I looked up. I thought it was fireworks. A teardrop of fire shot from space and disappeared behind the church where the syrupy River Arno crawled. Radiohead had the heavens on their side.

I don't understand how I'm wrong for not liking a group of songs I don't like...? I only like 1.5 BSS records to begin with. But given that I already have disliked most of the band's catalog (but LOOOOOOOOOOOVED one record and half of the s-t), I suppose that it is rather predictable that, you know, my taste is consistent. I haven't ever really, really, really disliked their stuff until most of this record, though.

And what is that predictable pattern not of criticism, but rather admitting that I simply don't like something? Have I failed in some way by accepting and explaining my opinions?

I don't care if you like or dislike this album. I've only heard it once while I was making phone calls, so I don't have an opinion at this time. I, like you, don't love much of their back catalogue (I only love YFIIP).

So why do I mock you? You put yourself there as a critic and a fairly predictable one at that. If it's new, you're probably dig it. As it gets older, popular or developed, your opinion begins to sour. Then when it no longer passes the frat-party test, you're disappointed that it (whatever "it" may be) has lost its original magic. So, to answer your question, I mock because I am a critic of critics. Isn't that ironic as a motherfucker? I've got a mustache.

Well, thank you for clarifying. I do say that genuinely, as it helps me to understand. I just cannot believe, though, that after posting together for so many years, you so wildly and fundamentally misunderstand even a sliver of my taste or person. Staggering! My favorite bands of all time are The Beatles and U2, dude!

Well, thank you for clarifying. I do say that genuinely, as it helps me to understand. I just cannot believe, though, that after posting together for so many years, you so wildly and fundamentally misunderstand even a sliver of my taste or person. Staggering! My favorite bands of all time are The Beatles and U2, dude!

And I'm really surprised you're taking me so seriously. I only mock you because you take yourself so seriously.

Don't sweat it. You keep doing what you do and I'll keep ribbing you.

Got the album today and after a couple of listens I can say I love this. Great stuff. World Sick is beautiful, I like how the strings announce that this is unmistakably that a new BSS album is about to start. And yes, All To All is as good as everyone has been saying.

I'm seeing these guys this Friday, couldn't be more excited. I just need to find an extra ticket for a friend and give this album a few listens to get to know the songs better before the show, but I know it will be good.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't care much for the s/t and I only like about half of YGIIP.

Now then, yes, I agree with Gump, when "World Sick" started, I was immediately captured by what was sounding like a definitely new BSS. Now, it's not profoundly different, but just enough so that I really loved the hell out of this whole thing. And now to be an odd duck, my favorite track was "Chase Scene".

You Forgot It In People ends just as badly, IMO. Two throwaways, back to back, when fucking Lover's Spit, which is among their most epic tracks, is RIGHT THERE? Shit, the album runs too long anyway.

My love for "All to All" is no secret, but there's a part of me that wishes Leslie sang it.

World Sick
Chase Scene
Texico Bitches
Art House Director
Meet Me in the Basement
Sentimental X's
Water in Hell

:up:

not nearly as enamoured with All to All as all y'all.

I'm honestly not sure what my favorite song is here anymore. Sentimental X's moves me very deeply, but Texico Bitches has Texico Bitches.

To follow this reference to its end, I don't think BSS is above titling a song Football In The Groin.

Back
Top Bottom