Wild Honey (A Story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bicyclingfish

The Fly
You've known me since before the clocks kept time, before there were cities and towns to call home. Then there were only homes and families, and you were in my home and were part of my family.

You watched me in my infancy, when I was curious and searching, wanting and needing all that was around me. You told me to do whatever I please. You called me "Wild Honey".

You saw me as I grew older. I felt your heart reach out to me when I thought I was alone; you were always there. I was always a monkey. When I wanted to dance, you came to me, held me, and showed me how to waltz. Your love nutured me through my childhood, and even when I was an old man.

I grew old very slowly, all the while because of what you said to me: Grow older, never old. I heeded your words, listened to all of them very carefully, and held them in the highest esteem.

I brought you wild roses when you left, and when you turned away to become part of the universe, I put you in the highest temple in the highest heaven.

Now I stand beside you, only this time it is you who is an infant, it is you who is young. I am the oldest of young men, and there is only the past behind me; very little is left to be done. I call you "Wild Honey".

I will watch you grow older now, I will watch you swaddle and google, then laugh and walk, then flirt and dance. Maybe I will be able to show you how.

I want you to know that I'm still standing here, and that I haven't forgotten. Today I put two wild roses on a grave, and then I sent you two for your hand, even though your room is filled with dozens already.

I watched you flirt in the park: you aren't the monkey I was. You are God's best friend, most beautiful flower, planted once in the mud and now blossoming into an eternal garden.

I must rest now, my eyes are tired, my soul is weary. You are good: you give me shelter from the cruel sun, and now I ask you to do whatever you please.

Now you stand beside me, and again I am an infant, it is you are is old. I saw you put two roses on my grave...

And forever we are wild, and we are each other's honey. Wild honey.

Back
Top Bottom