Workplace politics and favoritism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
A friend of mine is in an unstable situation in work right now. Changes being made all over the place, people being moved around, job descriptions being redone. I know that's happening all over. But what lowers the morale besides all the instability is the blatant favoritism going on--bosses going to lunch on a daily basis with the favored few and suddenly the other employees are being cut out of the loop, not being able to get access to the boss except through the favored filters, input no longer being requested, shut out of meetings, trying to get their work done while knowing the other is on the phone with the boss because of the flirty tone and suddenly my friend is worrying about her job in spite of impeccable reviews. Half the protected people are walking around with nothing to do while my friend and others who are hard workers are being buried with work the others can't be bothered to do (even though it is their job) and even so they find their statuses and their influence diminishing. Any civil meetings to address her status is met with a dismissive "Don't worry" when every objective observation says "Worry." The cliques are protected. The workers are not. HR is powerless and there is no one to protect her because hers is a unique position.

It's a shame because my friend loves the work she does and struggled to maintain it herself until it became a status symbol to be coveted.

Rant over. Do you have any stories to tell? How do you combat it? There must be something that can be done other than suck it up and take it. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

Sounds exactly like the re organizing (or re-aligning as the VIP's call it) where I work. Best advice would be to leave the company and find another job where you feel appreciated and feel that you contribute, or suck it up and watch your back, one day at a time. I am choosing the latter for now, to get thru the end of the year and my vacation to Hawaii then I'm hitting the pavement. I don't like work politics and cannot stand the VP who is micro managing my Dept and especially me right now.

I just don't feel fighting the office politics is worth it. What goes around comes around and it's always best to look out for Numero Uno.

Good luck!

I'd take public action. Email sent to the boss with a CC on anyone else who feels the same and who wishes to be copied stating it clearly and briefly - That there's a growing number of staff who have concerns about the changes, and need to know as much specific information as possible. Even keep it in point form and say something along the lines of the information that is getting out is contradictory or hearsay, and it is causing major disruptions in morale and concentration. If she writes specific things he can do, such as sending out a weekly update on the changes such as 'Your writing to us on perhaps a weekly basis to keep everyone informed would be greatly appreciated and as you know, will go a long way to alleviate some of the issues which are now arising as a result of this'. Back him into a corner, but with a smile and professionalism at all times.

Or if she has larger balls than that, perhaps she can call a meeting where everyone can get the chance to voice their concerns. Again, write an email (politely and professionally) stating that she wishes to call for an impromptu meeting as there is a growing swell of concern going around the office and it appears the information is getting out in dribs and drabs and collectively they wish to be kept up to date to ease the tension.

Thanks for the responses. She's been trying to talk to boss, schedule some time. So far he blows off all her questions. She figures once they move to the new building and her work area will be separated from the rest of the department though under the same umbrella, it'll be out of sight, out of mind and he won't have to deal with it. Stalling tactic. She's made it clear she is not happy not knowing her status although she has been very polite about it.

Getting people organized there is a bitch because everyone is a little on edge and no one wants to rock the boat although several other of the workers have made their displeasure clear. Their good workers are starting to leave in droves. seeing the writing on the wall. She's holding out now to see how everything is when the dust settles, but figures that since he's a fairly new boss, he is probably looking to surround himself with his handpicks and although she has some history with him, she doesn't have enough to influence him. A lot of people all over the company are being pushed out.

Companies are stupid. If their good people keep leaving, they are going to end up spending a ton more money to get the same kind of production.

We're hoping to hit the lottery.:wink: But until then...

Where I work, there is a huge clique that tries to hurt others who are not part of the clique - especially when it comes to promotions. I've had rumors spread about me, co-workers told not to cooperate with me because of this clique. Its like high school all over again. And the worst thing is, my supervisor is unreliable. She's very passive, so she won't do anything. Its nauseating and I get so angry some days. But I keep plugging away, working on my promotion. When this clique sees me do well, they get really frightened. I guess because I'm showing you don't need to revert back to high school to make it in the real world.
There are some days when I consider leaving, but then I realize if I do, then the clique won. Its hard though. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind at work.

Last edited:
Pearl, give that nasty clique a run for their money! I have similar workplace issues and agree with you on sticking it out to show them. I go in, do my job, do it well, and leave. No one can fault me for that. My boss was quite passive as well and was let go 2 weeks ago, so my dept. is quite vulnerable to some gnarly changes right now so we are all a bit on edge. :)giggle: I like that, on Edge!!) My 2 cents is to make a decision about how important the job is to you and if so, you will overcome the politics and cliques by being the better person and worker. Good luck. I work one day at a time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom