which would you go for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok so I know there is Weigh Watchers, Jenny Craig and I just heard about Nutrisystem. Should I trust any of these programs. I procrastinate when it comes to going out and buying the right foods to help loose the weight. I have no problems getting my ass off the couch, to go for a hike or bike ride. The thing I like about nutrisystem is no contracts and free memberships. You receive the food they send you and eat only what they send you so you wont go out and eat other food which will throw you off your diet plan.

The trick to plans like Nutrisystem is eating only what they send you. It isn't like it eliminates temptation from other food around you. I've heard that the food is pretty disgusting, anyway.

Ultimately, all it does is send you prepackaged food that accounts for a certain amount of calories per day. Unless you plan on living on crappy diet food for the rest of your life, it is better that you figure out how to incorporate good food into your life rather then having someone send it to you for a huge cost each month.

I know it isn't easy, but you have got to stop procrastinating and buy yourself the kind of food you need to be eating, as well as learn how to prepare it for yourself. A good way to do this is buy only what you need, don't be tempted to get junk at the store. That way, it isn't in the house, so you have to go out of your way to get it.

In the long run, it is much better that you just do it for yourself, at a level you can maintain. People fall into this sort of trap all the time. There is absolutely nothing you can do that will work in the long run but to change your life style.

It's nothing new, but eat better and exercise more. That's really the only good way to lose weight and get healthier.

Justin24 said:
I used to eat out all the time, I have cut that out alot.
Chancing lifestyle is the best thing to do. i did that and lost about 20 kg in 3 years. i know, that is not much if you listen to all those commercials but i am healthy, had never that jojo effect ( quick losing weight, and gaining it faster )

I am still losing weight ( slowly but steady ) is there a medical reason to lose weight fast ?

I just want to loose weight. I want to go in the army, but I dont want to harm myself by loosing weight to fast.

than you should go for the more moving option :wink: not only for losing weight but also good for the condition ( usefull in the army i guess )

ylimeU2 said:

In the long run, it is much better that you just do it for yourself, at a level you can maintain. People fall into this sort of trap all the time. There is absolutely nothing you can do that will work in the long run but to change your life style.

Exactly. All of these plans will be really expensive, and it's hard to just eat what they send you, especially if it tastes "healthy." Cooking things from scratch is not as hard as many people think, and that way you control what you're eating. I used to eat a lot of junk when I first moved out on my own, but I've learned how to cook, and I love it. I steam vegetables and grill or bake lean meat. For flavor, I use herbs and spices rather than butter, and I try to very sparingly use oil. I make a lot of broth-based soups, and I try to add lots of fresh veggies to soups and stews.

Rather than joining one of these plans, I'd suggest subscribing to a few healthy cooking magazines, or buying some cookbooks. I also recommend the newest George Foreman Grill. It's about $100, but I use mine a lot. I grill meats and veggies, make quesadillas with lowfat cheese and veggies, and even make waffles (with Heart Smart Bisquick and Egg Beaters, and I omit the oil).

Make choices you can stick with long-term. You know you're not going to want to eat pre-packaged food and avoid restaurants forever. When you go out, ask for sauces and dressings on the side, get double portions of vegetables instead of a potato or fries, and order grilled or baked meats and seafood rather than broiled or fried. Little changes can add up over time, and you'll feel better about the weight you lose when you know you're making the choices and controlling it.

Justin, work with my wife. Seriously. She's a Nutrition/Health Counselor who works with people to figure out what can and needs to be changed in not only their diets, but in their lives as well to help them continue eating what is healthy for them. She has two important premises: 1). That no one diet is right for everyone, and no one diet is right for one person at all points of his/her life; and 2). The notion of Primary & Secondary Food----Secondary Food is what you eat, and Primary Food consists of your relationships, work, stresses, goals, etc., all of which have a huge impact on what you choose to eat and how you eat. She's helped all kinds of people not only lose weight, but learn for themselves how to make lasting changes that will keep them healthy---the most important thing.

Check out her website: www.yourintuitivehealth.com , or email her at yourintuitivehealth AT gmail.com. She works with lots of people over the phone, so distance isn't an issue. And she does the first consultation for free, so there's really nothing to lose. At the very least, email her to get her free newsletter for tips on eating well, as well as easy & cheap, healthy recipes.

I'm not trying to sell her because she's my wife....it's because I know she's really good at what she does. :yes:

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
Thank you for the information Utoo :)

No worries. :hug: Even if you don't decide to work with her, she can point you in the direction of some really great resources.

unico said:
*raises hand*

Send her an email! :wink: And you're local, too, so you guys could do stuff in person if you wanted.

Utoo said:

No worries. :hug: Even if you don't decide to work with her, she can point you in the direction of some really great resources.

Send her an email! :wink: And you're local, too, so you guys could do stuff in person if you wanted.

:lol: I was raising hand bc of your sig. But yeah I'd love to talk to Mrs. Utoo about nutritional info, being a veggie and all. But I'll only see her for a consultation if she promises to wear the crazy pants!

unico said:

:lol: I was raising hand bc of your sig.

:lmao: That's awesome. :lol:

But yeah I'd love to talk to Mrs. Utoo about nutritional info, being a veggie and all. But I'll only see her for a consultation if she promises to wear the crazy pants!

Haha...she'll wear them----she loves those things, especially the hippy ones! :wink: She's great with veggie stuff, having been a pescatarian for a while before pregnancy made her crave a hamburger... She's also pretty knowledgeable about vegan, raw, macrobiotic, and a whole bunch of other ways of eating.

none. just work out and eat less. none of the diets ever work, even though i have never tried any. eat less and more healthy if want to diet.

I have friends who have done really well with Weight Watchers, but it's not just about the food - it's the whole package: diet, exercise, support.

I stopped drinking soda in January, and I've started keeping lots of water in my refrigerator. I don't miss soda at all, and I'm so surprised at how much better I feel when I drink enough water. I very rarely will have a root beer as a treat, but now if I want something other than plain water, I'll have a Vitamin Water or a seltzer (the ones that are just carbonated water and flavoring, not the artificially sweetened ones).

Balance and variety are the keys for me to eating well. If I keep fruit and veggies around, I'm much less likely to crave chips. I also find that I eat better when I plan my meals ahead of time. Otherwise, when I'm hungry I'll just go for whatever's most convenient, and that's usually not good.

the easiest way to stop eating junk food is to stop buying it :)

also, i've stopped bringing money to work with me so i'm not tempted to go to the vending machine.

instead i munch on fruits. tis the season for yummy watermelon!

oh, and to fight nighttime cravings, i have a cup of hot tea instead. you can get them in all sorts of flavors and they can satisfy your sweet tooth.

A_Wanderer said:
Fish eater!

I admit that I did learn that from wikipedia, but before this thread.

Thanks! I can't eat too much fish b/c there's mercury in the Lake, so we're told only to eat one serving of fish from the Lake per week (not that I like fish that much anyway).

My friend told me he lost 20 lbs just by quitting soda and drinking water anytime he felt thirsty for soda or hungry. However, this person has also had his kidneys replaced twice, so.....

I love fish and I eat it often. Not from the lakes though - seafood.

I'm going to Boston and Cape Cod in less than a month and I'll be in culinary heaven!

Back
Top Bottom