This is surreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
I have to vent. I just HAVE to vent.

Mods, I know you're going to read this post and will want to remove it. But please don't. This is a post more in the line of "I just HAVE to let it out"--I've had to deal with a hellish situation the past month and BELIEVE ME I will never post anything like this again. So don't be offended--and right now I'm so depressed I don't care.

I've been a good citizen the past few weeks in here and I don't want to ruin this now. So please excuse me while I cry over my keyboard...and please be kind.

It has been one thing after the other for the past 2 months with my family. Thank God I had Harry Potter for a while in July to take me out of my world . But that's all over now. My grandmother just had a colonsotrophy...she's had to deal with the aftermath of Colon cancer and she can barely pay her bills. Now the septic system went in her home, which is on a lake, and it required thousands of dollars in repeairs--it wasn't the tank, but the wholesystem..their house is almost 60 yrs old and never needed work previously. My uncle practically lives with her and had to help. I had to help too, as my cousin only works part time and can barely keep himself afloat. My aunt, my only other relative, is out of the country (she works for a small NGO) and won't be back until September--she is in Kenya and way out in the bush, she is uncontactable.

I have had to help and help and have bareky been able to keep myself afloat. Now I am about to be thrown out of my apt. My parents are both dead, and I have nowhere to go. I have one sister but she is sick, I will not discuss this. Oh sure, I can stay on a friend's couch for a few nights, but where after that? I have propably the cheapest place in the area, I've been looking. But even if I find a place in a shelter for a while, I have no money to store my furniture and things. I can't even afford the money it will take for a truck to haul my stuff. Where will I send it? Back to grandma's? It won't fit there....and anyway I can't go back there.

Suffice it to say that I have done everything in my power to try to get hold of the money I will need to keep myself with a roof over my head. You'll say that "they can't throw me out now, there are laws" etc, but now or the end of the month or 30 days, it makes no difference. Owing to family struggles and financial difficulties in the wake of my mother's suicide last year, I won't be able to come up with the money, so an order now is the same as 10 days from now, and 30 days makes little difference. I certainly can't aford a lawyer if I am urged to go to court, And why? For a couple hundred lousy dollars?

You name it, I have done it....DSS, Catholic charities, friends, attempts at loans, nothing to sell, no possible help from my job,whatever you can suggest, I have done. My little family is powerless, and no one has anyhting for me to borrow. It is all over. I can't struggle anymore.

So here I am, at 2:30 in the morning, sitting at my laptop, typing and trying not to cry again...I have done enough of that. It's all over. The clock is ticking. Tomorrow there will likely be a Notice placed on my door, Friday was the last day of my extension. I'm trying to think not about paking boxes, where will I go?

I told you this might be a "controversial" post. PLEASE don't take it down. I'm sitting here at my computer, trying not to think of the future. Putting this in a "Big Hug" thread would pollute it....and I just had to have even a kind word from someone. I feel so alone.

Like I said, I'm known more as the Harry Potter fan.....I never thought I'd be going through this. Please don't get mad at me or angry. Please be kind.

Lancemc said:
Zoo Confessionals?

Well, duh. Way to reprimand a member with that little piece of advice. Could you possibly be more helpful? I think not. :happy:

Anyway, I have no advice, or, rather, I won't have any advice until you answer Angela Harlem's question. Not that there seems to be much advice we could give you that would be of help. :(

Zoo Confessionals? Is that the place for a post of this sort? Well, if that's the case, move it there...

As to my income...normally, I save what I can of it. What little I can. And the savings and most of what I earned this month went to the aforementioned grndparent situation..and the person I thought I could borrow from just had a medical emergercy of her own....events have just configured to be a perfect storm....

Anyway, if the Zoo area is where this thread should be, move it there then....I would not know....

I can't quite give you any advice... The only thing I can send you right now (even though it's via this virtual, sometimes unpersonal way) is a lot of strength and so much luck to help you through these times... I hope that a solution will present itself very soon, Teta.

Sorry you are going through this. It's never good to be alone and feel so desperate. :hug:

Your aunt who is out of the country, do you think she could/would be able to help you out when she gets back? If so, even if she gets back (or at least somewhere she can be contacted) at the end of September, that's just over five weeks. So I'd suggest hanging in there as long as you possibly can and hope the eviction proceedings get delayed -- they do sometimes. In the meantime, and I know this probably sounds harsh but sometimes we all have to make really tough decisions, take a good hard look at what items you have that you can sell or services you have you can cancel. I mean if you have no place to go and can't afford to move it or store it, wouldn't it be better to get a few dollars for some of your furnishings? It's possible that even a small payment to your landlord will at least delay your eviction and if it doesn't you will have a little cash to try to find somewhere else to stay for a short time. I have lived in places with cheap lawn furniture as the only furnishings because we couldn't afford anything else.

Do you have any friends or acquaintances you could rent a room from for a short time while you get back on your feet? I know it's not an ideal situation, but it has to be better than a shelter.

I probably haven't been any help, but I am thinking of you and sending you good wishes.

Teta,
Have you considered trying to get a loan at all?

You should go to this website: www.prosper.com

I know you probably don't want to ask strangers for money but obviously you are having a hard time so I would look into it. Many people who have money issues go to this site and ask for help. Then people bid to give you a loan. It doesn't hurt to try.

Sorry you are going through this. :hug:

Im sorry that I don't have any advice to give you. However I do hope that something looks up for you soon. Financial problems are always some of the worst problems to have to face!

Keep staying strong :hug:

I think it's really hard to think clearly and not feel so desperate when you're going through something like this, but it's always good to ask other people who can look at the situation more objectively.

Some charities or shelters will assist with removals and/or storage for personal belongings. It might be worth looking into if you aren't able to find somewhere to live and need to stay in a shelter for a while. My mom had to live in a homeless shelter for a while and was able to keep all of her things, so it is definitely possible.

Indra's suggestion is also good, and if you can give up some of your furniture, you should be able to move the things you really want to keep by borrowing a friend's car. Then you'd have less to store and wouldn't have to hire a truck.

Good luck. :hug:

Sorry you are having such a bad time. The fastest way I know to earn some quick money is to get a job as a waiter. If you are good at it, you can make a fast few hundred in a few nights in tips. Most resturants will hire on the spot and they always need people to work the night shifts. Might be worth a try. Good luck and it will get better.

Thanks guys....but like I said, you name it, I have tried it already...everyone one of the things you suggested......I seem to run out of options.....and I have no car. No kidding this is true.

It seems my life is playing out like my mother's..and considering what happened to her, the shelter is the first step downhill.....

I don't really have any advice as I've never found myself in a similar situation, but please take care of yourself. :hug:

LemonMelon said:

Well, duh. Way to reprimand a member with that little piece of advice. Could you possibly be more helpful? I think not. :happy:

And what the fuck exactly is your problem, champ? I would have imagined someone with over 1200 posts would know the place to post something like this. And if not, she does now. Big deal.

As for the issue at hand, now that it's in the right place, I'd just say to keep in contact with your best friends as best you can without becoming a nuisance. What I mean by that is, just be as open as you can and a good friend should be able to, if nothing else, help you find a new place to stay, or give you better advice for getting rent or getting a better job, etc. They're one of the best resources you could have.

Are there SRO's in your area? They cost considerably less money, usually. And, yes, generally, they're not the greatest place to live, but it's a roof over your head. I'd suggest selling the laptop. You'll probably hate the very idea, and trust me, it'll be hard, very hard, but sell stuff, rent an SRO, or move to a shelter. You need a solid roof over your head more than you need to keep your stuff. Or, much as you might hate living there, you may end up having to go to your grandmother's to stay. Pride can kill you.

Back
Top Bottom