Should i ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleBono

The Fly
I guess first of all i should give a bit of info on my situation, i guess thats all i can call it ... Ive been seeing this guy for almost a year now (it'll be a year on my birthday, this thursday coming), but im really not happy. In fact, i havent been happy for quite a while, five months to be exact, but i just cant seem to bring myself to end it. Why? Because anytime i tell him im not happy and dont think i can be with him anymore, he cries and i feel shite .. like im a really bad person. It all started going wrong when i agreed to do something that he wanted to do - even though i didnt - and when we finally tried it he got all nasty about it .. he said he didnt like it after all and began to make me feel like i was disgusting for agreeing to do it.

Thing is, its not just that its died out or is dying out, the reason i want out is because of how he makes me feel and the way he treats me and people i care about ... and i dont mean that in a good way ....

It all started going wrong when i agreed to do something that he wanted to do - even though i didnt - and when we finally tried it he got all nasty about it .. he said he didnt like it after all and began to make me feel like i was disgusting for agreeing to do it. It all started going down hill from there onwards ...

The first day he met my grandparents, he was really rude and nasty towards my granda and recently he's become really horrible towards my mum too, who goes out of her way to make him feel like one of the family when he's in my our house. He's also really rude to my best friend. He says he feels threatened by him and by the fact that me and him are so close .. he really has no need to feel that way considering the fact that my best friend is gay ... thats another thing he hates too. He's very homophobic which really bothers me considering the fact that i have quite a few gay friends, who i love to bits.

Now on to how he makes me feel ... useless, stupid, worthless .. i could go on for quite a while. He makes me feel like im nothing compared to him, he seems to think that he's better than everyone in every possible way. He talks down his nose to me, cuts me down and makes me feel like what i think, care about, hold dear is stupid and pointless .. Yes, i know im not into the same intellectual subjects and topics like him - philosophy, quantum physics and the latest technology (i havent a clue about technology) - but i dont think that i should be treated like any less of a person because of that fact. He thinks im stupid because i wont argue with him over politics or current affairs . Im doing a degree in politics and tend to hold the view that once ive come out of class or stopped studying for the day, i dont want to bring it up again ... i want something less taxing to do, i want to relax ... Listen to some music, read a book, draw, strum away on the guitar ... anything to help me chill out ... He thinks that they are all a big waste of time, particularly listening to music .. he thinks im sad for being so into my music. He's also become very pushy sexually, even though he knows im terrified of stuff like that .. He says that i belong to him

He's extremely moody, jealous and possessive. If he's not the centre of attention, he sulks, if i talk to a guy (i mean friends, i have quite a few male friends, most of whom ive known for years, long before i ever met him) he gets into a mood, he grabs me by the arm if i try to wander too faraway from him, he turns up on my doorstep and stays in my house on the days when he knows im supposed to be hanging out with my friends back home (i end up not going out because he thinks that they are stupid .. he's never met them)

It seems that since ive been with him ive slowly turned into someone i hate, ive become really irritable, uptight, im miserable all the time ... i dont feel like im myself anymore ...and everyone around me is starting to notice ive changed .. for the worst. Ive started to take out my frustration at him out on those close to me ...

He's taking me to Dublin for my birthday/ our anniversary even though i told him i didnt really want to go ... I know its going to be one of the most awful weekends ever. He knows how much i love Dublin and i suppose he thinks he's doing something nice for me, but i dont want to go with him, because i know he's going to ruin it for me.

I just dont know what to do. I cant take much more of it. Its causing me so much trouble and misery, but i cant seem to end it because he makes out like he's a victim when i tell him i dont want to see him anymore. He's nice for a few weeks and then he becomes worse than he was before ... I dont want to be stuck with him for the rest of my life .. I had to watch my mum go through the same thing with my dad as i was growing up and i swore id never let a guy treat me the way he treated my mum, yet here i am in the one situation i swore id never get myself into ..

I know this went on quite a bit, well a lot. I guess i didnt think i had so much to say .. Im not really into talking about my feelings and emotions .. my dad brought me up thinking things like that were wrong. But anyway, i dont really know what i expect to hear, i guess i just needed to get out how im feeling. Id appreciate any comments back, anything at all. Even if its just to tell me how stupid i am ..

Why wouldn't you?

Other than him making you feel like crap, which you know is his game, are you afraid of him? Are you afraid of being without him even though you don't want to be with him?

Im afraid of hurting him, if that makes sense. I know he doesnt give a damn about hurting me, but i couldnt hurt someone's feelings. I guess im kind of afraid of being without him in a sense, this is the longest ive ever been with someone. I used to like the fact that he seemed different from other guys in that he didnt pressurise me into the sex stuff, but now he's changed ... Thats was one of my reasons for staying with him, i thought he'd never force me into doing stuff when i wasnt ready

Im afraid of hurting him, if that makes sense. I know he doesnt give a damn about hurting me, but i couldnt hurt someone's feelings. I guess im kind of afraid of being without him in a sense, this is the longest ive ever been with someone. I used to like the fact that he seemed different from other guys in that he didnt pressurise me into the sex stuff, but now he's changed ... Thats was one of my reasons for staying with him, i thought he'd never force me into doing stuff when i wasnt ready

Do you think you would be hurting his feelings or his pride? What do you think your life would be like without him?

You need to dump him NOW. What you describe is a classic abuser -- everything, from the nice and not at all pushy at first to cutting you off from all your friends and family to denigrating your interests and intelligence. And he will get worse, not ever better. Cut him out of your life entirely and do it right now. Do not go to Dublin with him, do not go anywhere with him.

You seem like a nice person, and nice people care if they hurt others. Now read over the parts of your initial post about your boyfriend. Does he seem like a nice person? He sure doesn't to me. Not only does he hurt and degrade you, he does it to your friends and family too. Decent people do not do that. So ditch him and do not ever look back. And do not fall for his "I'm a victim" bullshit, because he is certainly not a victim.

He sounds like an incredibly awful guy who has a serious lack of confidence in himself. Most guys who lack confidence go overly protective on their girlfriends and try to get them away from their family and friends so they have their gf for themselves alone.

I have only one advise for you: GET OUT OF THERE! Get rid of him asap. He cries and such only to manipulate you and to make you stay with him. Relationships are not supposed to be this way! You deserve a guy who loves you for who you are and who will do his best to get along with your family and friends, for YOUR sake!

Passive aggressive emotional blackmail as a means to exert his will over yours is just as harmful and should be just as intolerable as physical abuse. If he isn't willing to listen to you, let you be yourself, respect you and your family, etc, then there's really no grounds for you to be together except because he wants it, and that's horrible for you more than anyone else. It'll only get worse if you don't do something about it. Don't feel guilty about hurting him, when it's clear that he feels no guilt about hurting you.

Do you think you would be hurting his feelings or his pride? What do you think your life would be like without him?

I guess a bit of both, i just dont like the thought of hurting someone, no matter how horrible they are towards me ... I know that sounds kind of sad, but thats just how i am. Honestly, i think my life would be a whole lot better without him in it. Like i said before he's turning me into someone i hate. Im nothing like the person i was before i met him and i dont mean that in a good way. Ive changed for the worst. I cant be myself with him .. and i hate it .. i hate feeling like this

Ive resorted to lying to him about when im going to be back home, so i have time away from him. As soon as he knows im back from uni, he's down in my house. It shouldnt be like this, i swore that id never let it get like this with anyone, i feel so stupid

I guess a bit of both, i just dont like the thought of hurting someone, no matter how horrible they are towards me ... I know that sounds kind of sad, but thats just how i am.

Dismissing it as being "just how you are" isn't really an option, though. That's too easy. The best way to go about this is to face your fear of hurting someone, for the long-term benefit of both of you.

You got to get out of this relationship now. Don't worry about his feelings, worry about yours. You are the most important person in your life, remember that.

Please leave this unworthy guy as soon as possible. Because relationships like these usually turn physically violent, and that is the last thing you want this guy to do to you.

Well i did it, earlier today. He ruined my birthday so i ended it, i had the worst weekend ive had all along with him. Now he's just told me he bought me a guitar for my birthday and its waiting up in my flat in uni for me .. How shite do i feel about that?

I do admittedly feel much better now that im not with him anymore, i feel like me again .. Feel rotten about the guitar though .. He says he wants me to keep it because of everything he's put me through .. I feel shite though about that, i dont want no compensation for this past 5 or 6 months

I wouldn't believe him. He's trying to manipulate you and make you feel guilty about dumping him. Don't buy into the guitar thing. Its over, forget about him and move on with your life. :hug:

:hug:

I'm sorry you had such a bad birthday, but maybe that wa what you needed to make the break. I really do think it will be better for you now. Breaking up does hurt, even when it's for the best, but this wasn't a good situation for you, so I'm glad you saw that and took action. :yes:

:hug:

I'm sorry you had such a bad birthday, but maybe that wa what you needed to make the break. I really do think it will be better for you now. Breaking up does hurt, even when it's for the best, but this wasn't a good situation for you, so I'm glad you saw that and took action. :yes:

:yes: :hug:

It'll hurt at first, but once you start to get your life back, you're really just how much more awesome you'll feel.
best :hug:

I'm sorry you're going through this, but you will feel better in the long run. Staying with someone because you feel bad for them is doing them no favors anyway. I was with someone like that. Every time I tried to end it, it was a big, dramatic show. It's totally passive aggressive manipulation, because he has no clue how else to get you to stick around and no matter how much he wants you, he's obviously not willing to keep you by being a better boyfriend. As for him coping better than you, that's likely another manipulation. They'll tend to put on a front, again, to mess with your head. Whether he is doing just fine and all the why's and how's should make no difference to you. This is about you and your well-being. Once the dust settles, I guarantee you'll be happy with your choice to move on :)

Back
Top Bottom