Rachael

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Sorry I have to post this here, but I'm banned from FYM. I wanted to post about how upset I am about Va. Tech. There is so much of a connection here in VA, everyone knows someone who's touched by this.

My brother works with a guy whose parents are best friends with the parents of Rachael Elizabeth Hill, one of the shooting victims. He was eating lunch with my brother when they saw the story on the news and he immediately said he worried about Rachael and had a bad feeling. Just last week he had fixed her laptop. They had vacationed together last summer.

This guy is 35, and Rachael was only 18, but their parents are the same age. Rachael's parents tried for over 15 years to have a baby. They had lots of problems and miscarriages. Finally they had a baby and she was very precious to them. She was a good girl, beautiful, smart, very close to her parents. I can't believe she got shot in the face:( This is such a tragedy, they all are, but this one was closer to home. I feel so bad for her parents. She was an only child. It's one of those things that makes me so mad and sad at the same time, and I can't help but ask why...:(

I just found out that she did know about the first shooting and was terrified to go to class- she thought the gunman might still be out there. Her R.A. convinced her that if there was any danger of that, the school wouldn't have allowed classes to continue. :( That gives me the chills and makes it even sadder. I wonder how the mistaken assumption that the shooter had fled is going to be criticized. It literally cost 30 lives.

I also found out another victim from nearby, a guy my nephews went to school with, Gwaltney.:(

That is just so horrible. :sad: Ugh! There just are no words. So senseless, so pointless. Brilliant, ambitious youth just cut down even before their prime.

That poor family. I can't even imagine.

I'm so sorry. :hug: Even though it's not probably much comfort to those families, I hope they know that so many of us across the country have cried with them and held them close in our thoughts. :hug:

There really just are no words.

FitzChivalry said:
That is just so horrible. :sad: Ugh! There just are no words. So senseless, so pointless. Brilliant, ambitious youth just cut down even before their prime.

That poor family. I can't even imagine.

I'm so sorry. :hug: Even though it's not probably much comfort to those families, I hope they know that so many of us across the country have cried with them and held them close in our thoughts. :hug:

There really just are no words.

Your post conveyed my feelings exactly Fitz that was very well said :hug:

U2Kitten please know you are not alone with what you are going through :hug: My :heart: goes out to both of the victim's families.

Thank you all for the kind words :hug:

I just found out a girl who adopted a kitten from me a couple years ago was best friends through her church with Nicole White, another victim. She had not yet answered her message on myspace, thinking she wanted to wait until she had more time. We never know if we'll have more time:( She went back to her myspace and facebook and wrote her a beautiful, moving, loving tribute that brought me to tears.

I also wanted to mention that I am hearing glowing stories of kindness and generosity to the families of victims. One family has received all burial expenses free, one has had free airline tickets, another free Va. Tech clothing. So while some people were wondering if there would be those who may be trying to capitalize on the tragedy and make money, it looks like in many cases the opposite is true. People have been very kind.

Today was Hokie Hope Day at all the local schools. My daughter wore a maroon headband and an orange tee shirt. I can't find one Va. Tech item or even the right color ribbons anywhere; they've all been bought up. The reaction and outpouring of affection is overwhelming.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry about your losses.

I've come from the same sort of tragedy and I know, personally, how shootings and mad men turn your lives upside down.

It's just something that I cannot explain. And the media attention, I felt that it was always an invasion of privacy how they "cashed in" and gained from my private mourning. I said private, but it really wasn't private. I had my whole little life hashed out in the papers.

Still, tragedy like this is just horrible and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom