My Heritage/Nationality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Every single person in my family line going back to 1600 is Dutch. Waaaaay back, they all married people from the same community (they were peasants at some castles). Once they started coming to the US, the same was true, everyone married the Dutch, not any Irish, Polish, Italians, etc. Like, one of my relatives who immigrated here, his first wife died and instead of marrying an American, he wrote home and they found a young woman in the community (in Groningen) who wanted to move to the States and she came over to become his new wife. Same on both sides, you marry Dutch (I just got engaged and my fiance is Dutch from our sister Dutch community in Iowa!). Everyone is Dutch. Of those born in America, their parents came straight from the Netherlands.

The community I live in here is more homogenously Dutch than many cities in the Netherlands (just ask any of our exchange students from Holland). We're like a China Town or Little Italy, but for the Dutch. It's weird b/c our Dutch language and traditions have not advanced with time like those actually in the Netherlands. Our parents and grandparents came over and our language has remained the same, as it was in the 1800s, thus our Yankee Dutch, or my family's dialect (Gronix, no clue how it's spelled in Dutch), has been preserved. I've never taken Dutch class or Dutch lessons, but I can read Dutch enough to get by, and read our Gronix and Yankee Dutch fluently.

/today's genealogy lesson

:hyper: Is this about inbreed ?

Grunneger toal is very close to german,.Grunnen is nearby the german border,....to be precise, north german dialect is almost the same as Grunings.

i am ut grunnen :up: mien wicht,...

Rono said:

:hyper: Is this about inbreed ?

Grunneger toal is very close to german,.Grunnen is nearby the german border,....to be precise, north german dialect is almost the same as Grunings.

i am ut grunnen :up: mien wicht,...

Not going to respond to "inbreeding" b/c I don't really like to think about it....but hey...it was the medieval times, right? :rockon:

So "Grunings" is the spelling, thanks! I forgot you were from there. :up: My mom and I are starting on a project soon and I may have some language questions for you down the road.

I've caught up now. Sorry, I too am 100% dutch. Last name Leys(mom's side) and Kelder(dad's side). I happens in these little dutch pockets around the US. Oostburg, Wisconsin, Pella, Iowa, West Michigan. :)

As far as my dutch goes, I know Kelder stands for Celler.

Now, moving on to the other subject, Livluv and I are getting married, so it's too late...I'm dutch. :sexywink: But one side of her family and one side of my family do recognize each other as a Chicagoland Dutch families. Did that make sense??? And yes, I did pick her b/c of her brown hair and brown eyes.:drool: No blond hair/blue eyes for me.

Edit: And yes, I think we'll get some grass jelly beans for our receptions eh?

I refer to myself as being 100% Italian because my blood is 100% Italian... everyone on my mom's side is Italian and everyone on my Dad's side is Sicilian... dating back to god knows when. So are you saying I am not 100% Italian just because my mom gave birth to me on American soil? :confused:

This thread is :coocoo: :lol:

Sicy said:
I refer to myself as being 100% Italian because my blood is 100% Italian... everyone on my mom's side is Italian and everyone on my Dad's side is Sicilian... dating back to god knows when. So are you saying I am not 100% Italian just because my mom gave birth to me on American soil? :confused:

This thread is :coocoo: :lol:

Yep and yep. lol

You are Italian but not 100% Italian. No one can be 100% anything. Italy is only how old? Same with the Netherlands. They're politcal divisions. Genetically your family may be from the Italian region for several hundred/thousand years or so but not forever. Which ever philosophy of life you choose Italy (nor the Netherlands) are not likely to be the cradle of mankind. If you are Christian/Jewish/Muslim then the belief is your origins are from the Israel area. Many people into evolution believe people evolved in Africa. Then theres the whole space alien theory. etc. Many views.

Genetically people are something like 14% black (excuse me if I got the percent incorrect) as we are either descended from pre Semetic people or a black ape, depending on your point of view. And there are many more points of view.

Anyway, my point is no one can be 100% any nationality let alone any genetic group.

PS I don't want any booger jelly beans, thanks.

Shag On A Rock said:

Yep and yep. lol

You are Italian but not 100% Italian. No one can be 100% anything. Italy is only how old? Same with the Netherlands. They're politcal divisions. Genetically your family may be from the Italian region for several hundred/thousand years or so but not forever. Which ever philosophy of life you choose Italy (nor the Netherlands) are not likely to be the cradle of mankind. If you are Christian/Jewish/Muslim then the belief is your origins are from the Israel area. Many people into evolution believe people evolved in Africa. Then theres the whole space alien theory. etc. Many views.

Genetically people are something like 14% black (excuse me if I got the percent incorrect) as we are either descended from pre Semetic people or a black ape, depending on your point of view. And there are many more points of view.

Anyway, my point is no one can be 100% any nationality let alone any genetic group.

Wow. That's interesting. :hmm:

Shag On A Rock said:

In my defense, if you read my original post, I said was was 100% Dutch as far back as the 1600s. Obviously no one can be 100% anything. But I don't see why that changes whether or not I call myself Dutch or Sicy calls herself Italian. Our names, traditions, language, family, culture, etc. all come from those nationalities.

As for jelly beans, I like the jelly belly sours!

Popmartijn said:
So you two are not American?

Depends on what "American" means. That's where I was born, but it's pretty meaningless if you're looking for some hint of a person's heritage or local culture. When I was in Africa and people asked me what I was, I said "I'm from America", not "I am American". Being "American" just sounds weird to me.

In my defense, if you read my original post, I said was was 100% Dutch as far back as the 1600s. Obviously no one can be 100% anything. But I don't see why that changes whether or not I call myself Dutch or Sicy calls herself Italian. Our names, traditions, language, family, culture, etc. all come from those nationalities.

I don't understand why you consider yourself Dutch if your family have lived in the USA for 300 years. I understand Sicy calling herself Italian as shes a first generation national but your family have been in the USA so long any cultures, traditions, etc would either be based on historical rememberances of the old country or Americanised.

A number of my e-friends as well as real friends are Dutch ie born in the Netherlands and their humour, and style of speaking (in English) is different to yours. When I read posts on here I can usually spot whether someone is Euro or from North America. Theres the odd few people who read like a bit of both eg Windmillane and thats because he is a bit of both, but you, Lies, read like a USA person through and through. I wouldn't pick you for a Euro let alone Dutch.

Also, theres the tact thing. Telling Dutch people that you are more Dutch than they are is not only inaccurate but perhaps not at all polite. I think perhaps you need to get out of your compound/Calvin school a bit more and meet some more globally minded people.

As for jelly beans, they're way too sweet for my liking. Interstingly enough I'm currently formatting a document on handling hazardous substances that includes:

smells like rotten eggs, freshly cut grass,almonds can indicate hazourdous materials
:ohmy:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I like how everyone is throwing their two cents in on the dutch thing then commenting on the taste of jellybeans. :lol:

I consider myself a half breed - 50% Itallian and 50% Hungarian. Do I escape the wrath? :wink:

And the worst jellybeans I've ever had were buttered popcorn. :barf:

Consider wrath escaped. But only because I also feel the buttered popcorn jellly beans are the worst. I'd almost rather the vomit ones. :yuck:

Shag On A Rock said:

I don't understand why you consider yourself Dutch if your family have lived in the USA for 300 years. I understand Sicy calling herself Italian as shes a first generation national but your family have been in the USA so long any cultures, traditions, etc would either be based on historical rememberances of the old country or Americanised.

Also, theres the tact thing. Telling Dutch people that you are more Dutch than they are is not only inaccurate but perhaps not at all polite.

300 years in the USA? no way! (That would be U2Kitten's family). We've been here a generation (mine), sometimes 2, sometimes 3 but that's pushing it.

As for my comment, it was meant tongue-in-cheek. I've never been to the Motherland (besides a few hours at Skipol) so I wouldn't really know anything about contemporary Dutch culture. It's just something my family jokes about b/c on many occasions we've had acquaintances from the Netherlands comment on how boring it is here and how there's no diversity compared to Rotterdam or Amsterdam. Everyone is blonde, white, blue-eyed and has a name starting with de, der, van, van het, or van der. You're entirely right about our local culture and traditions. It's entirely based on how things were 2-3 generations ago..."Yankee Dutch" it's called.

Besides, like they said, I can't be THAT Dutch since I hate druppies!

300 years in the USA? no way! (That would be U2Kitten's family). We've been here a generation (mine), sometimes 2, sometimes 3 but that's pushing it.

As for my comment, it was meant tongue-in-cheek. I've never been to the Motherland (besides a few hours at Skipol) so I wouldn't really know anything about contemporary Dutch culture. It's just something my family jokes about b/c on many occasions we've had acquaintances from the Netherlands comment on how boring it is here and how there's no diversity compared to Rotterdam or Amsterdam. Everyone is blonde, white, blue-eyed and has a name starting with de, der, van, van het, or van der. You're entirely right about our local culture and traditions. It's entirely based on how things were 2-3 generations ago..."Yankee Dutch" it's called.

Well, I'm just flummelghasted!

Firstly ,I have always read you 300 years remarks to mean that's how long your family has been in the USA.

Secondly, I have seen you make the "more Dutch than Dutch" comment many times before and never once considered it a joke. Perhaps you need to add a wink smilie at the end of your joke otherwise you may sound like an arrogant, sheltered, ethnocentric idiot with no concept of decency nor decorum.

I like the term Yankee Dutch a whole lot better (as long as it doesn't offend the people in the USA that don't like being called Yanks)

I have no further comment to make about the taste and texture of jelly beans :wink: :barf:

This is my point. You cant say you are 100% dutch, you never been there,you dont speak the language. For me and other dutch people you are american. I dont see what is wrong with that (being an american). Your roots are in holland (because of your parents being born there) but you are not 100% dutch.

ok ok ok,
Geez. I'll put it this way. I'm from Wisconsin! BOOYAH!
I love cheese!:yes:
My Great Grandfather is 100% dutch. Spoke in Dutch, was born in the Netherlands. I'm just a lowly offspring born in Kenosha Wisconsin.
There we go. Wow, that was liberating.
Love Phil
:wink:

Got Philk? said:
ok ok ok,
Geez. I'll put it this way. I'm from Wisconsin! BOOYAH!
I love cheese!:yes:
My Great Grandfather is 100% dutch. Spoke in Dutch, was born in the Netherlands. I'm just a lowly offspring born in Kenosha Wisconsin.
There we go. Wow, that was liberating.
Love Phil
:wink:

I don't understand why the pair of you place such low emphasis on being from the USA. Whats so "low" about being from the USA?

u2bonogirl said:
oh come on. not even a little?

No. The characteristics I find attractive in a person are:

* independence
* strong sense of self
* own goals and value systems
* respect for others values, goals and achievement of same
* empathetic appreciation of social justice issues
* sense of humour

Yes, you really seem to respect my values, goals, and achievements dont you? :hmm:

If you're implying I have none of those qualities, which I'm sure you are, then you have absolutely no idea who I am. Which is fine.

I actually dont really like self-important people all that much, come to think of it

u2bonogirl said:
Yes, you really seem to respect my values, goals, and achievements dont you? :hmm:

If you're implying I have none of those qualities, which I'm sure you are, then you have absolutely no idea who I am. Which is fine.

I actually dont really like self-important people all that much, come to think of it

I'm in this thread as I'm curious to discuss an issue with Lies, not discuss your ego.

Look, I don't want to get angry with you which is why I stay away from the threads in which you post. I want to discuss an issue with Lies and anyone else who chooses to discuss the Dutch and/or jelly bean issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom