MERGED---> v. dissapointed + I'm pretty sure..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
v. dissapointed

I'm v. dissapointed (well, very might be an exaggeration) about the recent developments at interference.com, that being the new pay for access scheme.

There's nothing I can do about it. I understand the reality of it, but it just doesn't seem right.

I allready pay a lot of money for internet access (when you add my earthlink bill and my phone bill together because I don't use my phone for anything else), and now I've got to pay extra to access websites? Surre, 12 bucks isn't much, but there's a trend of having to pay for access, and soon other sites will be the same. And there's no way I'm gonna pay to access all my favorite sites.

A little here, a little there, and all of a sudden you're paying lots of money. I'm not subscribing. Not because I don't like this site or don't support it, but because it's just one more expense, and frankly a concept that I disagree with. Once a fan site starts charging, it's no longer a fan site, it's a company. And if I'm going to be paying for a service, I'm not just giving my money to some individual. And besides, I just don't think this is worth paying money for. I already spend enough money as a fan.

I guess come December I won't be around here at all. I mean, I already have stopped posting for the most part, but I enjoy pulling up this site once a week or so and reading some of the posts. I know non-premium members will have limited access, but I haven't seen what that will entail, and I know that it will cause a whole schism between those who are premium members (many of whom who will get some sort of self-richeous savior complex as U2 fans always do) and those who aren't members, (many of whom will carry some sort of anti-establishment attitude). It's just not gonna be nice at all around here anymore.

Why does this happen? First it was WIRE that I had to leave 'cause it just became sooooo intollerable. Now interference is gonna have to go. Maybe I'll just stick to listening to the CD's.

I'm sure some people will blast me for what I've said. That's fine. I'm not looking for support or pity or even understanding. I just felt I needed to say this, at least know that I said what I thought of the whole thing.

Blarg. Just sucks, ya know?

It was not an automatic decision for me to join as a premium member. I think we've all become spoiled by what we receive for free (aside from our ISP costs) over the internet. Music, software, news, entertainment, reference sources, etc., all have just been there for the taking.

I will probably spend $12 over the next year on far more trivial matters. Right now, this little corner of the internet seems worth the cost.

why

Yknow.. we just had a blowout about this in manda's thread.

If this gets nasty at all, its out.

I know

:shrug:

What I don't get is why it had to get so ugly about who's leaving and why, just like it got ugly with the "who's not donating" part.

I'm just confused sort of...so if you don't make a donation to this site...you won't be able to have access here...is that it, or am I missing something. This whole thing seems rather complicated.

As for making donations...I have absolutely no money on me at this time...I'd love to make a donation, if I had the money, but I don't.

Anyway, so yeah...if this whole deal could get cleared up for me...that'd be helpful.

And yeah...it would be very nice if this thread didn't turn into an argument like the other one did (which I just read).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I'm just confused sort of...so if you don't make a donation to this site...you won't be able to have access here...is that it, or am I missing something. This whole thing seems rather complicated.

As for making donations...I have absolutely no money on me at this time...I'd love to make a donation, if I had the money, but I don't.

Anyway, so yeah...if this whole deal could get cleared up for me...that'd be helpful.

And yeah...it would be very nice if this thread didn't turn into an argument like the other one did (which I just read).

Angela

Its not about donations anymore. You need to pay $12 for the next year if you want to continue to read, post and have all the features you currently have now.

If you dont pay you may only have access to 2 or 3 forums, and only able to read and post.

I'm pretty sure........

that I wont be around here as much come Dec 1st- I have decided not to bother about paying...mainly because in light of all of this bitching and crap that has been going on I have been illuminated to the fact that the main reason that I came here (U2) seems to have left....

now I am sure that I will get flamed for this, but I am starting to feel tones of hierarchial crap starting to superseed in this forum IE: 'you dont agree with me, then your out' if one evens dares say something that remotely criticises someone here who has a little bit of authority then they are flamed, ganged up on and to be quite honest I really dont like this .....

all of this aside this does not mean that I have not appreciated this place and the work that has gone in to it, I just think that some people need to lighten up a bit, when you think about it, it was ultimaltely a mutual love of one band that got us all here and I kinda think some egos and a bit of bitching has got in the way of this.......I know that eventually, like most things in life that money finds a way to rear its ugly head, but I was going to pay, but after reading some very lengthy posts in various threads I have just come to the realisation that things, just in a very short space of time have changed...

I really do wish that this was not happening, but I guess things cant be changed...I may drop in from time to time, but only in the 'free' sections and please do not flame me for what I have said or belittle me with a sarcastic 'bye, bye'....like I have said I have greatly appreciated this place, however I just think that I dont have the right character to move with this forum into its new phase.......:wave:

I guess it has been that way for some time. Not everyone took the news lightly that this would become a paysite. Guess everyone is in a shitty mood ever since. It also disappointed me to see that everyone took jabs at each other, I hope I wasn't guilty of that. If I am, I am sorry to anyone that I offended.

I wish you would reconsider, and stay with us. (We need you to keep up the excitement of The Two Towers coming up in December!) I know its a hard time for everyone involved. We need us all here. Like I said in another thread...This place is like a family. I don't know you that well, but I did enjoy reading all your posts. Please don't go.

If you do decide to move on, I wish you nothing but the best.

I just want to support you OzAurora, and thank you for saying what you said. I'm just going to post this, and pls don't flame me for it either..I think after being here for over a year, I should feel comfortable enough/be allowed to express an opinion on this, but maybe not :shrug:

I agree w/ you 100 percent about being so discouraged after reading certain posts and threads about this subject. Perhaps rather than jumping on people or telling them 'bye bye', people could take a deep breath, step back, and think about all of this. This is called a community for a reason, I'd like to think. Of course it's not a utopia and there will always be problems, but maybe things could be better if we all examined what has gone on and ourselves as well.

That's all-listen to some U2 today, and have a great day everyone!:wave:

Re: I'm pretty sure........

OzAurora said:
if one evens dares say something that remotely criticises someone here who has a little bit of authority then they are flamed, ganged up on and to be quite honest I really dont like this .....

please do not flame me for what I have said or belittle me with a sarcastic 'bye, bye'

Originally posted by Gina Marie
Perhaps rather than jumping on people or telling them 'bye bye', people could take a deep breath, step back, and think about all of this.

I feel the need to defend myself here.. and April too as I believe you are both referring to us. I have only said that to one person.. and the problem is there are people here that dont follow the board like I do and dont really know what's going on.. you just come in and read one thing and make all kinds of assumptions. The person that was told 'bye bye' has been a menace on this board for over a year, not only under the current handle but banned before under a different handle. A person that was given more than one chance though they did not deserve it. So, its not about authority here. Some people just honestly dont deserve to be here.

but when you really think about it...you realize that whether or not you decide to pay the money and stay, it isnt that big of a deal. people move on. we cant all stay, things must change. its all a part of life.

take a look at your own life and the people you used to be with when you were in high school. are they still the same people your with now?

im not making myself very clear, but ive come to the conclussion that this whole thing isnt that big of a deal to me.

when dec. 1 comes, i might have a different attitude towards it, i dunno.

For the record, no, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. I have NO intention of getting into any argument here, but no, I have not read one thing in particular and made all kinds of assumptions. It is the general atmosphere I was referring to-not in reference to one person in particular or their inappropriate conduct. Obviously a case like that is different.

So now some people have decided, for their own personal reasons, to leave-whether they don't like it-what is going on now, or for whatever their personal reasons are. Taking a good and honest look at yourself and evaluating priorities is a good thing.

That's all I want to say about it. Like I'm sure everyone else has, I have some serious issues right now of my own to deal with, and I can't afford the stress that getting involved in this, or any thread of this type, can create.

Re: I'm pretty sure........

OzAurora said:
that I wont be around here as much come Dec 1st- I have decided not to bother about paying...mainly because in light of all of this bitching and crap that has been going on I have been illuminated to the fact that the main reason that I came here (U2) seems to have left....

now I am sure that I will get flamed for this, but I am starting to feel tones of hierarchial crap starting to superseed in this forum IE: 'you dont agree with me, then your out' if one evens dares say something that remotely criticises someone here who has a little bit of authority then they are flamed, ganged up on and to be quite honest I really dont like this .....

all of this aside this does not mean that I have not appreciated this place and the work that has gone in to it, I just think that some people need to lighten up a bit, when you think about it, it was ultimaltely a mutual love of one band that got us all here and I kinda think some egos and a bit of bitching has got in the way of this.......I know that eventually, like most things in life that money finds a way to rear its ugly head, but I was going to pay, but after reading some very lengthy posts in various threads I have just come to the realisation that things, just in a very short space of time have changed...

I really do wish that this was not happening, but I guess things cant be changed...I may drop in from time to time, but only in the 'free' sections and please do not flame me for what I have said or belittle me with a sarcastic 'bye, bye'....like I have said I have greatly appreciated this place, however I just think that I dont have the right character to move with this forum into its new phase.......:wave:

Thanks for writing this and saving me the trouble. I only just now read Amanda's thread, so I didn't get to post in it. Your thoughts here sum up 100% pretty much how I'm feeling. I cannot emphasize enough how much you've hit the nail on the head for me.

I've been here for two years now, but the changes coming upon us are both giving us pause to reevaluate priorities and giving us the opportunity to see people's true colors, which haven't been so pretty. I won't say that I'll never reconsider (tour time around here is pretty fun), but for now, I'm going to make this into my opportunity to make my own change. I confess that I've only felt accepted by a few people, many of whom have since left due to politics, and being told "fuck you" in a recent thread has pretty much iced my decision. I'll probably just hang out less and less until the first rolls around.

Thank you to Elvis. Peace to all.

U2girl said:
What I don't get is why it had to get so ugly about who's leaving and why, just like it got ugly with the "who's not donating" part.
i agree.

i also don't get why we need to have 10,000 "i won't be around come december" threads.

Well i think it sucks. If you guys are leaving for personal reasons then fine. If its because of the DOLLAR a month, for this service that you've all used so much of, then i just think thats really crappy. Elvis has spent so much of his own time and money here for nothing. He cant keep paying thousands of dollars a year. Its sad to know that all his hard work, efforts and money spent are clearly unappreciated and taken forgranted. That really bothers me.

And yes this place prolly will slowly die, sadly. I will stay till it goes under. And I will never forget it. I've met some of the greatest people here. Or so i thought. THANK YOU ELVIS and SICY. I appreciate all your hard work SOO much. Sorry that others dont feel the same.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. If you really have an internet addiction, than ok, reevaluate your priorities, and if it means you have to go, we'll be sad to see you go. I myself, don't come here enough to constitute it being a 'bad' habit. It gives me joy, it is entertainment, and I have friends here. Nothing more, nothing less.
I am sorry things had to get ugly, and disagreements were aired. I really hate having to read about people's 'true colours' coming out. No such thing has happened I feel, just different people with different opinions.
Leave and stay on your own accord, not 'cause it's the 'cool' thing to do or 'cause you all of a sudden read something you disagreed with.
I'll be here. As will many others. This site won't die.

Everyone needs to just relax a bit. :drunk:

Everybody is getting kind of weird about this.

I really hate to see anyone go.

I am one of the oldest participants on this board. I think this is a great site. I enjoy all the different ideas, attitudes and opinions our varied members express.

I am sympathetic with the younger member?s feelings. I don?t want to sound like I am lecturing, but I have some things to say. This is not directed at any one person. I have read remarks like these from several members.

1. Every site is a pay site. It is only of question of who is paying for it.
2. Some have said I don?t want to be sponsored, I don?t want a hand out. Well, you (all of us) have been taking a hand out. You, I, all of us have been sponsored by Joel. (Elvis) Is this fair?
3. Net zero, Juno and others tried to let us use the net, and have others pay for it. The others said, ?Get Lost? Now, everybody pays for access. If you access at school and don?t pay, it is not free someone is paying.
4. If you think having to pay, is a good time to leave, I will miss you. I spend too much time here. It is my fault, I need do take personal responsibility. I have stayed away for weeks, you can too.

I got to go, not done, still thinking about this??.

you know, i just realized how much elvis has spends on this site, in another thread he mentioned he spent over $35,000.000 in 6 years to keep this site going. that's around $6000.00 a year, and monthly, its $486.00 out of his pocket. and thats to make us happy. thats a whole lot of money for him to be forking over. all of a sudden, because its going to be a pay site, everyone has to go and evaluate their priorities. how convenient. im getting pissed off here. i don't want to see people leave because they can't afford, but at the same time, i don't want to see the other half leave leave because of this "ohh geez would you look at that! it's going to be a pay site...time for me to evaluate my priorities." i'm trying to stay neutral on this but its hard. i'm trying to understand this, but its hard. its hard for me to understand.

i'm not trying to single anyone out, lay a guilt trip, and i'm not trying to offend anyone...its just how it seems to me when this whole thing started. i really don't want to see anyone go. i realize to some its just entertainment. but you have to remember, we all made some great friends here. we all came here because we all have a mutual love for the greatest rock band of all time. we are all privy to all the latest u2 info right when it happens. we all look so damn cool when another diehard fan who's never heard of interference questions our knowledge of how we know so much about the latest info. again, im sorry if i offend anyone with my reply here. its just starting to dawn on me how much time and money elvis has put into this site.

here are some more thoughts

5. Nothing is free, when I was young and lived at home I did not know how good I had it. I have too many bills. The best thing about this $12., it is once a year, and you don?t have to think abort it again for a year.
6. If U2 had a new album out and was touring next year how important would this site be to you. To share your stories, pictures, experiences, make connections for tickets and meet follow U2 fans. The time will come. Are you sure you don?t want to be here.
7. Without everyone?s support this site will not be the same.
8. If you must leave, think about a donation on the way out.
9. Mods, most of you are mods because you are active users and have been for sometime. That means bandwidth. I hope you donate, also.

once again, there are things being said here that arent exactly going to make people want to stay.
im not talking about myself personally because it doesnt bother me to be honest, but if you want people to stay, telling them that their attitude is wrong and that what they think "sucks" is kinda silly. thats not going to convince anyone, its only going to make them feel they aren't wanted in the first place.

angel, i will gladly take your kind of relaxation as i believe it involved alcohol..hehe

deep said:
9. Mods, most of you are mods because you are active users and have been for sometime. That means bandwidth. I hope you donate, also.
actually, i've already donated and was planning on paying the $12 like everyone else, until i heard we didn't have to. so instead of donating again, i'm going to sponsor someone. someone should start a "please sponsor me!" thread somewhere, so if anyone is looking to be sponsored, we'd know. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes

We have some really young, sweet members. Maybe their parents will support this site as a healthy net activity.

I would hate to lose them if that is not the case. So they get my nomination.

deep said:
here are some more thoughts-

it is once a year, and you don?t have to think abort it again for a year.

and meet and follow U2 fans. .

Deep-

-I dont want to "abort" this place either:sexywink:

-Sure you can meet U2 fans just dont "follow" them..you may have security on your ass worse than I did..:angry::sexywink:

-I dont think the Mods should have to donate, they donate countless hours here already. Joel has already told them so..
Think of this- if Joel makes you a Mod, maybe he will refund your $12.00?:)

Seriously and lastly-
The way I see it is that Joel forked out over $30,000.00 out of his own pocket.
Similar to what April-Pop Whore said already.
He foot the bill.
He foot the bill for over 5 years.:angry:
He isnt even asking for compensation for the past, only to let you know he's outta dough now.:mad:
The man is outta money to keep this thing afloat
In the past, Joel never asked for a dime from anybody really.
He cant do it anymore.

The ppl that contributed valuble and thoughtful posts will be missed.
I hate to see you leave..
I hate to see you not want to be part of the Interference Family anymore over something so trivial.

Out-
DB9
:dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom