im not a very good teacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i like to joke around with the kids
like to make them laugh and make them feel comfortable around me
not at all a strict teacher disciplinary person thingie
this makes me a bad teacher cause i hate that shit
i dont let them push me around either(i can be tough) but i relaly wonder when kids are giggling at me being silly and they stuff like "our teacher is stricter than you"

Is doing a Spice Girl accent in class not a good way to get to kids?
They love it and i know kids like me but i sometimes wonder if i should be the mean discipline act like many others are.

why do I struggle so much with this profession?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

too many things that just make me grizzle and grind my teeth. DONT BECOME A TEACHER UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO SACRIFICE A LOT OF YOUR BELEIFS FOR A CRAPPY SYSTEM THAT CATERS TO PEOPLE WHO DONT ACTUALLY TEACH IN A CLASSROOM WITH CHILDREN EVERY DAY!!

someone save me before i shrivel up and die

people have no idea...

So what?s wrong with your way of teaching?

Do other teacher complain?

I think that the most important thing is that the kids are learning something. That they are willing to listen to you and therefore learn what they are supposed to learn. And if they have fun and enjoy your lessons they will learn even more.

In what kind of school are you teaching? Maybe you should check out Montesory schools.

Manda, I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching that way. I pay attention only in the classes where the teacher has something fun to offer, the meanies just put me to sleep cos why the hell would I want to stay awake to hear them take out their sad little ego trips on some poor kids that are required by law to be sitting where they are???

i have a Calc teacher this year who is absolutly the greatest because he somehow manages to make me at least not hate a class in an unthinkably horrible subject. he amuses us to no end- drawing mustaches on his face, writing curse words on the window and seeing how long it takes a teacher to notice, singing songs about sausages in German to us, playing God-only-knows-what on his stereo in the back of the room, playing with his sickeningly scented candles and dripping wax all over the desk....
you get the picture! he's a complete goof but he's fun and he always manages to keep kids from falling asleep.

I also have an art teacher who I have had for four years now who I absolutely love as a person. He's an inspiration to me; he's been fighting breast cancer which has now spread all over his body, in fact he just had a bone-marrow transplant and only missed two weeks of school. He comes in to school everyday, puts on a good attitude, and while he can be strict, he's not one of those follow-the-rules-exactly-cos-God-fobid-you-might-make-a-tiny-mistake teachers. He thinks the school policies are stupid and not in touch with the kids at all, and he'll go against them no matter what to work with one of us as long as we're willing to put in the effort. he has helped me tremendously and I could never say thank you enough.
plus, he doesnt treat us like inferior little children, he recognizes our independence and can have fun or intelligent conversations with us. He's just a wonderful person and I suppose that seeps thru into his teaching.

It also depends what type of kids you are teaching, Manda. Middle-schoolers to early-High Schoolers are often very insecure and completely censor how they act and come across as they try to fit some appearance mould they've contrived in their minds. It's important to show kids how to have fun and be unselfconcious in life, and they'll very quickly respect you for that. WIth little children it's prolly a little easier; things are more black-and-white at that age, and while they need discipline, they need support more than anything else.

You sound like you have a good repetoir with your kids, Manda, and that's all that really matters. No one will listen to you or respect you if you're just one of those tough acts. And from the sound of it, you do have control of them...there's nothing at all wrong with letting them have a little fun and enjoyment out of life. Anyway, I couldnt imagine you being a poor teacher, not with the kind of person you are.

I dont know what exactly you are upset about within your management, but I dont think it's uncommon, not if you have defintite beliefs that you want to follow. Good luck, girl, I'm sure things will work out (and I mean that even if you dont wanna hear it
biggrin.gif
)

smile.gif

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

I was going to be a teacher...but I changed my major last year.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

well i'm sure the kids appreciate it but as long as they develop and no parents complain, have fun!

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
i like to joke around with the kids
like to make them laugh and make them feel comfortable around me
not at all a strict teacher disciplinary person thingie...

manda take it from me (I've had experience with some of the lamest most boring teachers... no offense) and let me just say that from how you described it you are the greatest sort of teacher! I have many strict teachers this year and they just don't click with the students. Infact the strict teachers just disuade you from wanting to learn, because you want to flee the classroom. Keep with it! Make the kids feel comfortable, that's a very important thing. Who ever said learning had to be uptight?

btw what grade do you teach?

Take it from someone who spent years in college..

A teacher who made it fun to be there, were the ones who's classes were always full, making it so hard to get in.

So you are doing fine my friend, as long as the kids are learning from you, remember that's what counts!!!

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Is doing a Spice Girl accent in class not a good way to get to kids?
depends on how old the kid is

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think the fact that you care makes all the difference in the World, and I believe that your students will pick up on that. You have the hardest, and most rewarding profession in the World.

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I was going to be a teacher...but I changed my major last year.

Me too! LOL

And Amanda I think being fun is cool! I like all my teachers that were like that! Being too strict is just eh! As long as, like you meantion, you keep them in check when they get a lil rowdy, I don't see anything wrong with it!

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Are you fair? Cause this is the kind of shit kids see through faster than anything...
Laughing at you for being a silly goof is one thing. That's laughing with you. Laughing at you for being an anal retentive disciplinarian is something all together different. That's laughing at you.

Thanks guys.
Im just kinda struggling with my career at present and had had a bad day when I wrote this.
I know Im a good teacher. Of course Im fair, of course the children learn(thats why Im there), I take my job very seriously but I also think its important to make it fun for kids. A lot of teachers out there don't agree with that.
I gues this post was more about me needing to find a way out because Im not as dedicated as a teacher needs to be. Its a vocation and I dont think Im passionate enough about it.
there are so many teachers out there that dont love teaching(and some who dont like kids, which is a worry)and I think that is a dangerous place to be. Its not fair on the children.
I am not passionate about teaching anymore and because of that its driving me crazy. I just don't know what else to do anymore.
frown.gif

BTW,I teach grades Kinder to Year 6(5-12 yr olds) bebe.

Oh and CK, Im a very good speller, just an absolutely crappy typist. Year 4 Champion Super Speller 12 weeks running!!!

Thanks for your kind words guys.

ZooManda<--not so chirpy at the moment

Back
Top Bottom