I'm a victim of a hit and run.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check your auto policy & if you have Uninsured Motorists coverage you may be able to claim under that as a hit & run and avoid paying a deductible. :wink:

Palace_Hero said:

His was malicious and obviouly would provoke, mine was made in jest and if someone is going to take it seriously I'd question their judgement (thats not directed at you, its directed at your warning, Bonochick).

Questioning of judgement isn't directed at me, but at my warning? I don't see how that's possible, since a warning is unable to make a judgement. A person does that.

Palace_Hero said:
My odds are $1.23 that you were a case of 'woman driver' syndrome. :wink:

So if women are such bad drivers, how come our insurance premiums are lower due to us having fewer accidents and therefore making fewer insurance claims?

Sherry Darling said:
I bet it was a Republican. :madspit:

Probably because of all those Mondale and Dukakis stickers on the car.... :wink:

Seriously, this is why we pay for insurance. Call your agent and make it their problem.

Odd coincidence - I just found out that my dad got a hit and run today, and I think it happened on the same day, too.

He says "Yeah, somebody did a hit and run". And I instantly thought of this thread. Heh.

But his wasn't as bad, just a small dent, though.

Bono's Doll said:
Check your auto policy & if you have Uninsured Motorists coverage you may be able to claim under that as a hit & run and avoid paying a deductible. :wink:
:down: No dice on that, BD -- UIM coverage is only available to you if you can PROVE the other party is uninsured. And you have to know who the other party is in order to do that. At least that's the law in NC.... TN may be different, but I don't believe it is.

Laura's choices are A) pay the damages out of pocket & leave her insurance company out of it, or B) IF she has Collision coverage on the car, file the claim, pay her deductible & let the ins company cover the rest of the costs.

set me straight on this one.
i bet it was a republican was let by with no comment
yet 'i bet it was a woman driver' was reprimanded.
whats the diffrence?

Well fuck. We got the estimation for the repair today and its $2400!!!!!!!! There was alot of internal damage, the windshield wiper fluid container had been completely knocked over on its side. My dad thinks that that's probably what the car is worth so there's a possibility that the insurance company could just buy it and then we would get a used car for me. :sigh: I love my baby car! :sad:

Colours4U2 said:
set me straight on this one.
i bet it was a republican was let by with no comment
yet 'i bet it was a woman driver' was reprimanded.
whats the diffrence?

Palace_Hero has caused problems here in the past. Sherry Darling is one of the sweetest members here. I know that her comment was in jest, due to u2democrat's political affiliation. With Palace_Hero though...it's hard to tell. Does that seem unfair? I suppose it can seem that way. But that's just how it is. Life isn't always fair.

This has happened to me twice in the last 2 years, although the damage hasn't been to the extent you described. Someone hit me in the parking lot on campus while I was in class and dented/scratched the rear panel pretty badly. I had to have the entire back panel replaced which was about $1800 and it took well over a week (and 3 paint jobs) to repair which added about $200 for car rental. Recently, someone dented the same panel in the parking lot in front of my apartment. Insurance estimated that repair at $800, but a couple of days ago, somebody popped the dent out while I wasn't looking. It's really weird. I don't know who did it.

Both times, I had a police report made, which allowed my insurance company to use the uninsured motorist coverage to pay for any incidentals like rental cars. I think with most insurance companies, if the damage is more than the blue book value of the car, they'll mark it down as totaled and cut a check for the price in the blue book -I think.

Anyway, I know how you feel and I know it's just so frustrating but I like to think that karma's a bitch and whoever did it is gonna get what's coming to them someday.

Last edited:
I hope you're right about the karma. This sucks. What makes it worse is that the mechanics said they couldn't repair it for another 2 weeks...but i'm leaving for college in less than one!!!!! :mad:

Laura, here's the rule in NC for totalling a vehicle: If the repairs are equal to or greater than 75% of the vehicle's value, it's considered a total loss.

You can a) let the insurance co. total the car, pay you it's actual cash value (meaning overall condition, mileage, etc would be deducted from the fair market value or Blue Book value) and you take that money as downpayment on a new(er) vehicle or use it to pay off any loan you may have on the car; or b) you buy back the salvage. You don't actually exchange any money with the ins. co. - you get a Salvage Title, keep the car, and either repair it yourself or drive it like it is.

Again, insurance laws vary from state to stare & I don't know VA law. But I would imagine it's a very similar procedure to here in NC. Best of luck to you regardless - I know it's a very busy time for you & you don't really need this extra headache! :huh:

BluRmGrl said:
Laura, here's the rule in NC for totalling a vehicle: If the repairs are equal to or greater than 75% of the vehicle's value, it's considered a total loss.

You can a) let the insurance co. total the car, pay you it's actual cash value (meaning overall condition, mileage, etc would be deducted from the fair market value or Blue Book value) and you take that money as downpayment on a new(er) vehicle or use it to pay off any loan you may have on the car; or b) you buy back the salvage. You don't actually exchange any money with the ins. co. - you get a Salvage Title, keep the car, and either repair it yourself or drive it like it is.

Again, insurance laws vary from state to stare & I don't know VA law. But I would imagine it's a very similar procedure to here in NC. Best of luck to you regardless - I know it's a very busy time for you & you don't really need this extra headache! :huh:

I think we have that same rule. I'll probably end up having to get a new car, but i hope not because I love mine!

U2democrat said:
What makes it worse is that the mechanics said they couldn't repair it for another 2 weeks...but i'm leaving for college in less than one!!!!! :mad:

That sucks! At least you're living on-campus, right? Then you won't even need a car....heck, sometimes it's more of a bitch to have one, depending on what your school charges for parking (our is only $35 for the year I think, but the lots are far away...for some schools it's like $55 per month or over $1100 all at once!).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

sometimes it's more of a bitch to have one, depending on what your school charges for parking (our is only $35 for the year I think, but the lots are far away...for some schools it's like $55 per month or over $1100 all at once!).

Wow, that's a great deal.

Ours was something like $160/month, but then I went to a school in a super-urban setting.

Back
Top Bottom