I have to get my A level results on Thursday..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

{paintedroses}

New Yorker
..which determines whether I get in to university or not. I've never been this scared about results before, I keep thinking about opening that envelope and seeing bad grades and having to come home and tell my parents that I haven't got in to uni and them saying "It's alright" but really being disappointed in me. What makes it worse is its my dad's birthday on Thursday too so its gonna be terrible if I get bad results. I can't even remember how well the exams went because as soon as I'd taken them I just tried to block them out of my mind so I didn't have to worry about them. All I can remember is that I didn't revise as much as I probably should have.

I'm still just trying to block it out of my mind and I don't wanna talk to my friends about it cos I'll just feel worse about not studying as hard as I could have. And theres no way I could talk to my parents as they wouldn't be sympathetic at all. This is just such a horrible feeling.

Aww - Best of luck with your results.:)

Thanks Tilli:)

Don't know why I felt the need to post it on here but hoping it will help keep my head a bit clearer.. I think if I keep it blocked out I won't be prepared for whatever the results will be and then I'll take it a lot worse

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have done fine. I remember being nervous about my A levels too, although I was leaving for my gap year project the day the results were published so I think I was more worried about my eight-hour flight than getting my results, lol.

Anyway, as I said I'm sure you've done great. But don't forget that even if you just missed the grades on your uni offer you're still quite likely to get a place - just make sure you phone them immediately and find out if they'll still accept you and even if they don't say yes straight away ask to talk to the admissions tutor and be insanely enthusiastic about the course and they'll quite likely let you in anyway. And don't forget you'll be able to get a place through clearing if you don't get into your first choice uni and still want to go this year.

But you're not going to have to do any of the above because you'll have passed with flying colours and be off to uni in a few weeks. Which uni/course are you hoping to go to anyway?

My first choice is at Nottingham uni, the course is Maths and Philosophy, and my second choice is just Maths at Exeter.

I'd love to not have to go through clearing, cos I took ages finding the courses and unis I was sure I wanted to go to. Thanks for the tips on speaking to the unis on the phone! I'll beg and plead until they give in!:wink:

{paintedroses} said:
My first choice is at Nottingham uni, the course is Maths and Philosophy, and my second choice is just Maths at Exeter.

MATHS? :bow: You're evidently way too smart to be worrying about your grades then. :wink: Nottingham looks like a really good uni though - I was thinking about applying there but they didn't offer the course I wanted.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Lol thats the reaction I get a lot of the time.. but I just don't think I put enough effort into my exams. Are you at uni yourself then?

{paintedroses} said:

Lol thats the reaction I get a lot of the time.. but I just don't think I put enough effort into my exams. Are you at uni yourself then?

I think everyone feels the same way -- it's really easy to look back and think you could've worked harder, but no matter how much work you've done you'll still feel like you could've done more. And I'm at Sheffield Uni.

I studied at Nottingham as a postgraduate last year. I didn't have a very good experience, but I imagine it would have been very different if I'd been there as an undergraduate. Nottingham is also supposed to be really good for Maths too, if I recall correctly. :up: (And Engineering....maybe you'll run into your very own Eugene ;) ).

Good luck with your results. :)

good luck:up:

i had to go through what you went through last year. wasn't really nervous leading up to it, but i was an absolute wreck on the day though, was ok in the end cos i got the results i needed (just!). i'm going to Leeds uni next month and i cant wait (i took a gap year).

you will be fine, trust me:wink:

Thank you all, I'll let you know how it goes on Thurs..

See BB isn't just a dumb TV show it brings friends together!:wink:

*Points to thread she started in LS before actually bothering to check if there were any others along a similiar vein* A/N: One day I might just learn to actually do that but until then it keeps you Mods from getting bored...right? :D

The other thread isn't identical actually it just says good luck and all that.

But anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine. I think everyone wishes they'd revised more when it gets so close to the exam results (I certainly do), I've also blocked out most of the exams (was on the phone to my friend the other night and she struggled to remember what time period she was studying for history whilst I forgot what the title of my Personal Study was for history. Which is kinda depressing because if I forget it all then what the point of the last 2 years?!!) but as I'm not going to uni I guess this whole time is worse for you than me but I'd still like to do well, ya know? So, basically good luck!

PS. You'll probably hear me screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Doesn't that fecking examiner KNOW genius when they see it?!!" wherever you are in the UK on Thursday :wink:

TheQuiet1 said:
*Points to thread she started in LS before actually bothering to check if there were any others along a similiar vein* A/N: One day I might just learn to actually do that but until then it keeps you Mods from getting bored...right? :D

The other thread isn't identical actually it just says good luck and all that.

But anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine. I think everyone wishes they'd revised more when it gets so close to the exam results (I certainly do), I've also blocked out most of the exams (was on the phone to my friend the other night and she struggled to remember what time period she was studying for history whilst I forgot what the title of my Personal Study was for history. Which is kinda depressing because if I forget it all then what the point of the last 2 years?!!) but as I'm not going to uni I guess this whole time is worse for you than me but I'd still like to do well, ya know? So, basically good luck!

PS. You'll probably hear me screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Doesn't that fecking examiner KNOW genius when they see it?!!" wherever you are in the UK on Thursday :wink:

Thank you.. nice to hear from someone else waiting for (or dreading) results on Thursday. I hope you do well too!! Good luck and all that jazz!:wink:

I think there will be a lot of screaming on Thursday lol! I can't even go out and celebrate/drown my sorrows on Thursday night cos I have no money! It sucks badly.:(

haha i am in the same situation as you...i can't remember how really i did in my exams...i feel like i did really well, but i keep on thinking come on i must have messed up somewhere:huh: I am trying to think where i have made mistakes and can't think of any but that keeps making me even more paranoid about that i may have made mistakes:wink:

Tis a vicious circle...

Hopefully i will get my AAB..i shall be heading to Bristol then to study psychology....i had to be contrary and change country to:wink:

LJT said:
haha i am in the same situation as you...i can't remember how really i did in my exams...i feel like i did really well, but i keep on thinking come on i must have messed up somewhere:huh: I am trying to think where i have made mistakes and can't think of any but that keeps making me even more paranoid about that i may have made mistakes:wink:

Tis a vicious circle...

Hopefully i will get my AAB..i shall be heading to Bristol then to study psychology....i had to be contrary and change country to:wink:

Good luck!:up:

I'm starting to get a bit :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: like OMG LESS THAN 12 HOURS!!!

{paintedroses} said:

Good luck!:up:

I'm starting to get a bit :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: like OMG LESS THAN 12 HOURS!!!

:up:same to you...i feel like just packing my bags, steal my dad's credit cards and get the quickest flight to Mongolia, change my name and live the life of an adventurer...it is actually quite appealing:cool:

LJT said:

:up:same to you...i feel like just packing my bags, steal my dad's credit cards and get the quickest flight to Mongolia, change my name and live the life of an adventurer...it is actually quite appealing:cool:

You are a genius! With ideas like this you're bound to get good grades.:wink:

Can I join you?:(

{paintedroses} said:

You are a genius! With ideas like this you're bound to get good grades.:wink:

Can I join you?:(

I am an ideas kinda guy:wink:

I need a pretty girl to travel with so of course you can come:D

I missed out on my university requirements by just a single grade, which left me with all three universities refusing to take me.

At the time I was devastated, but in the end it turned out that not getting my grades was the best thing that could have happened.

The course at the Uni I originally wanted to go hadn't even offered me a place, but because I pestered them for a couple of weeks they took me through clearing.

If I hadn't 'failed' my A levels then I doubt I'd be where I am today,.

I guess what I'm saying is that although you naturally think they're the most important thing in the world at the moment. You'll learn in time, that they're just another stepping stone in life.

So don't worry, and remember that even if you don't get the results you need there's always an alternative.

Aardvark747 said:
Hope u got the news u wanted PR...:up:

I don't think she would know yet...English board results are not released til 1.30am....my postman seems to be very late hmm grrr my mates seem to have got theirs in the post....

Speak of the devil haha i just got mail....i got the grades i needed it is a relief......good luck to paintedroses..i am sure you will hvae done well..as everybody else has said you do maths:wink:

Back
Top Bottom