I confess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I find myself liking the music of Alanis Morrisette. I used to find her music repulsive back in 1996, but those were the days of a mini alternative revival, last seen in the early 1990s. Now that rock, metal, and rap seem to have converged, her music is such a novelty. A chick rocker who, not only has a powerful, distinctive voice, who not only can play her own instruments, and even has fairly interesting lyrics at times. But I do think she's better live than in the studio; something is incredibly stifling about her studio work, but it's still more interesting than 90% of the music nowadays. I really liked her John Lennon tribute that I just watched, BTW.

Considering how much I used to hate her music, it really shows how much the alternative scene has fallen apart since then. Or maybe I'm just getting old and cannot appreciate the likes of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and Blink 182. It's way too sophomoric for my tastes...

eek...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I like Alanis! What took to you so long to like her?
tongue.gif

Considering how much I used to hate her music, it really shows how much the alternative scene has fallen apart since then. Or maybe I'm just getting old and cannot appreciate the likes of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and Blink 182. It's way too sophomoric for my tastes...

I so agree with you! I cannot stand any of those artist!
mad.gif

------------------
"Were one but we're not the same... some us like the POP LOOK!" - ME!

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
It's a black fly in your chardonnay
A traffic jam when you're already late...

I always wondered..these things aren't really ironic.

They're just irritating.

You are so right! At least half the things in that song are not ironic, just annoying or sad or something.

Words cannot describe how much I hate that song. I'm afraid I SERIOUSLY dislike Alanis. I still remember the first time I first heard a song by her, Hand In My Pocket. It was late at night and I thought "Wow, this girl has a bad voice! She probably won't be around long." Boy, was I wrong. I just find her lyrics very self-absorbed, her music average, and her voice appalling.

When I was in high school some friends and I had a People Against Alanis Morrissette's Music club. PAAMM.
biggrin.gif
Ah, that brings back so many memories. I know, it seems very juvenile now but it was funny. It started as a total joke first but then a few people put together a webpage. They got literally hundreds of hate mail messages every day. The guy who maintained the page used to print off the pages of hate mail and bring them to school every day. Two of the people in the "club" got together because they realized they both liked Ironic! They were traitors to the cause! They went out for a few months, and after we graduated from high school (and they broke up) the guy became a huge U2 fan and I became good friends with him. I eventually developed a huge crush on him and then the friendship blew up because we disagreed over too many things (whether or not God exists...whether or not Zooropa sucks or not...
biggrin.gif
)

So many memories...thank you, melon
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 10-02-2001).]

I admit. I hate her first album. Her second is a bit better; not so blatantly trying to shock people.

Even then, her live work is her best. It's night and day between the Alanis of "Jagged Little Pill" and live Alanis. At least, in my opinion.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

That was hilarious ScatterofLight!

I always have and always will hate her music. Angst has never been trendy, she has somehow twisted it to be something so cool, that all girls around my age wanted to be dumped so they could turn semi stalker and sing her anti men shit. Raving lunatic feminist.

8 Singles off a 13 track album. Equals one thing:

OVEREXPOSURE

JS I wouldnt be talking

hahahaha scattero, great post!
i never much liked her although she was 'the thing' in 6th grade and i was subjected to endless hours of listening to her which prolly affected my opinion right from the start

man, was that really that long ago?? sheesh..

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

Back
Top Bottom