Can online relationships really become proper relationships?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgv

ONE love, blood, life
So, I used to talk to this boy alot in my drama class. Then two years ago we stopped being in the same class but he added me on msn & myspace. We have talked alot, and not just chat.. we have serious conversations about almost everything on a very regular basis.
And for the past two years this boy has often told me that he finds me very intimidating in person (I'm quite loud I suppose, doubt the numerous tattoos and piercings help) - but would like to hang out with me.
And now suddenly he wants to start seeing me in person. I think he's great and stuff but do these things that start online always work out in real life?

Last edited:
Always work out? No. Sometimes work out? Yes.

Give it a go if you want to.

The thing is you've already met the guy in person 2 years ago, right? So you've met. You've just gotten to know each other thru the internet. I agree with indra. Give it a try!

Go for it if you really want to to pursue something with him. As it was pointed out you guys already knew each other before talking on the internet.

As for your question about these things working sometimes they do and sometime's they don't. Im one of the fortunate ones where it worked out for me.

Last edited:
This August my brother will celebrate his 9th wedding anniversary - with a woman he originally met in an online chat room. Granted, they're in the minority but she's been the best thing that's ever happened to him & we love her dearly.

:shrug: Sometimes the online thing works out. Just like everything else, you have to approach it with caution and common sense. I wish you well, whatever your decision. :up:

Thanks for all your replies! I'm worried that meeting him in person will ruin the 2 years I've spent talking to him, I mean if we don't click then we will probably find it awkward ever talking again and I don't want to ruin that.
Then again I'll never know if i don't give it a try :shrug:

partygirlvox said:
I'm worried that meeting him in person will ruin the 2 years I've spent talking to him, I mean if we don't click then we will probably find it awkward ever talking again and I don't want to ruin that.

If meeting in person ruins two years of talking online, then it wasn't much of a relationship to start with. Real relationships get stronger in person. You have nothing to lose by meeting with him again in person.

UberBeaver said:
From my experience, the rate of success of relationships for people meeting online is roughly the same as though meeting in ... um...real life? Offline? However you say it.

Good luck.

Agreed.

Some people communicate better via electronic means, and are uncomfortable or shy in person. I know people who crack me up consistently online, but have little to say in person.

But I'd say the relationship beginning through online means doesn't influence its success rate one way or the other.

Good luck!

I guess if you get to know someone first and then go on a date it can be interesting. I think the spontaneity of Real Life Interaction™ is pretty fun, though. When it works, of course.

If we're talking about online relationships in general...
I met my one of my best friend online. Here, in fact. And though I see her in person only a couple of times a year, we have a great relationship. So I say it IS possible, though if there is always the distance it can be very trying on any relationship.

I know a guy who has been married to a girl he met online for seven years. I know a lot of people who have long distance relationships because they met online. Many of them turn out to be 'real' relationships if one or the other moves. I have known some very happy stories, and some heartbreaking ones. You know, kind of like 'real' relationships. So YES I believe real relationships can begin online. The internet is great that way, what it does is expand your horizons and give you a bigger variety of people to meet up with than you'd ever have had in your own area alone.

elevated_u2_fan said:
a friend of mine married a woman he met online and she turned out to be a Nazi-lesbian...

:| true story, I shit you not...

Sounds like something that would happen to George Costanza.

I don't see why an on-line relationship cannot turn into something more. Like a few other posters, I know of 2 couples that met via the internet...one through myspace, the other through a dating site...both are good couples.

Good luck.

I met my boyfriend online (not in a chatroom or anything though)... We first knew each other for like 4 years until we 'really' met... And now our relationship lasts as long as 3 years and still ongoing :) So yes, I think it can be possible... You just really need to be careful though. Some people aren't who they seem to be.

corianderstem said:
Some people communicate better via electronic means, and are uncomfortable or shy in person. I know people who crack me up consistently online, but have little to say in person.

:yes:

Happens to me.
Sometimes when I talk to BD on msn she says that im sometimes reserved in what i say or basically like :reject:
But when I talk to her properly she says I never shut up and I'm all :hyper: :hyper:

:lol:

Online stuff is more or less the same as face to face interaction. Its just and electronic version of writing a letter.
The only problem with it been online is you cant see the other person's expressions, so sometimes things may come across differently.

^

:p

To expand on what you said, what I meant was, on msn you are all quiet sometimes, with long pauses and on the phone you're all :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: always, lol.

:cute: You never stop talking on the phone, it's usually me who sometimes runs out of stuff to say, :lol: :reject:

Of course, having that voice and accent help a long way, too. :sexywink:

Now that we aren't talking on the phone while I'm here, the bond we created over the phone the past 6 months is still there and stronger than ever.

:hmm:

we have talked about meeting up sometime.
and going to places and what not.

as to when that will happen you ask?

VERY soon :shifty: :shh:

Back
Top Bottom