US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm on a call"

"No you're not. I can see your screen"

Might be one of the best things I've seen all year.

Supreme Court — You should have the right to carry guns anywhere you go

Citizens — can we carry them around you?

Supreme Court— NO!! We have 24/7 security, work in a highly secured building where only cops can carry! Are you nuts !!!

Just this week tax payer $$$ can now fund religious schools. You can carry weapons, and soon womens bodily rights are stripped.

Thanks Trump (and BernieBros) supporters !!!

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1540020477338468356?s=21&t=TZcsjnzZfbyuUAL34K0mZA

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1540024706505506817?s=21&t=TZcsjnzZfbyuUAL34K0mZA

I agree more with the last tweet. Democrats and progressives especially seem to really hammer home policy, or nuance. It’s important. It’s intellectual.

But it doesn’t really win you elections outside of your comfort zone.

A lot of people couldn’t tell you who their own state senators are. They only know democrats hold congress, and White House.

So any economic pain, failures are going to be pinned on them 100%.

We all know that isn’t fair and true, but what has Biden and Democrat leadership done to try and fix it ?

Elizabeth Warren is the only high profile character to call for expanding the court. We all say it can’t be done because of this senator or that, but we’ll never know since it’s not a priority of Dem leadership. Pelosi, Schumer, and Biden are against it

So we’re stuck trying to negotiate with terrorists who will show no mercy or follow any rules when they take power again

18 cents a gallon won't be a noticeable enough difference to make people feel better.
Need to see things drop back below 4 bucks a gallon at least before that happens.

No issues here with mostly symbolic gestures like SPR releases or gas tax holidays. Symbolism is important sometimes, especially for our pols.

Unfortunately for the president, he's in a tough spot. His desired energy policy was (aggressively) highlighted in campaign stops, in the debates, with hostility toward producers like Saudi Arabia (SA trip soon now!), and then with actions carried out via the president's executive orders. Not to mention the reverse on his short-sighted support of Nord Stream 2, and only after a major Eastern European shooting war was on.

Not to mention Senator Biden also voted against the Trans-Alaska pipeline in the early 70's. The president hasn't been a credible voice on many issues over the years. Energy is one of them.

LOL Matt Gaetz. "Uh...Mr. President. Could you uh...just pardon me for the things I'm going to be arrested for? I mean...we both like underage chicks right?"

The moral arc of the universe bends towards power. And only one side of the aisle acts accordingly.

The GOP are monsters, but they're not subtle and they're pretty consistent. We have known forever what they were going to do when they got the opportunity.

The Democrats never even attempted to stop this from happening. No attempt to pack the court, no attempt to pass a law, no attempt to exert pressure on members of their own party. Just "please donate money to the DNC for the next election, once again the most important one in history!" Oh, and the one thing they did do when this leaked two months ago was pass a bill to increase security for the Supreme Court that spent this week killing abortion rights, Miranda rights, and gun control, while signaling they're coming for gay marriage next. The Democrats decided the most important thing to do was make sure those people didn't have their comfort threatened.

The Democratic Party cannot and will not save us. We need something else.

Last edited:
NPR

But in his concurrent opinion, Justice Thomas said the legal rationale for Friday's decision could be applied to overturn other major cases, including those that legalized gay marriage.

"For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," he wrote. "Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous.'"

Imagine being pro-choice and having voted for Susan Collins.

She’s so surprised! These folks told her Roe was settled law! And just look what they did! Who could have predicted these nice white judges would lie to Congress!

Pearls clutched, brow furrowed, there’s little else Susan can do at this point.

She was tricked!

It’s easier for someone to walk into a school and unload rounds of ammunition into children than it is for a woman to have access to a safe abortion. So that’s where america is now.

Texas:

That law, Texas House Bill 1280, makes it a second-degree felony "for a person who knowingly performs, induces, or attempts an abortion" according to the bill analysis. The penalty increases to a first-degree infraction "if the unborn child dies as a result of the offense."

The legislation makes no exceptions for rape or incest; the only exception is if a pregnancy would kill or severely injure the person carrying the child, Corbin said. It also adds a fine of at least $100,000 for each offense.

Those fines are for people who perform an abortion, not the people who are getting the abortion, Corbin explained, and punishments could also extend to life in prison for performing an abortion.

Let’s start policing miscarriages. Better report your miscarriage to the police pronto so they don’t think you’re covering up a murder.

https://twitter.com/farnoushamiri/status/1540370901803433984?s=21&t=R4gjAygf084bfRjjAB_d3A

I will still vote blue, no matter who’s up there. Cause i cannot see how they would be worse than the GQP

All we can do is vote but that’s a hard message to stomach over and over, despite it being true.

But videos like this above, really make me believe the Democrats are not up for this fight. While the Right is tearing rights away from women, minorities, as well as destroying our institutions

The democrats….sing ?

Well at least Speaker Pelosi read some version of the Hedgehog poem to calm the waters. Talk about tone deaf.
Democrats desperately need new leadership in Congress (in 2016). She is incredibly helpful to the GOP cause.

Texas:

That law, Texas House Bill 1280, makes it a second-degree felony "for a person who knowingly performs, induces, or attempts an abortion" according to the bill analysis. The penalty increases to a first-degree infraction "if the unborn child dies as a result of the offense."

The legislation makes no exceptions for rape or incest; the only exception is if a pregnancy would kill or severely injure the person carrying the child, Corbin said. It also adds a fine of at least $100,000 for each offense.

Those fines are for people who perform an abortion, not the people who are getting the abortion, Corbin explained, and punishments could also extend to life in prison for performing an abortion.

That shit is mind blowing. And I'm sure several states will follow suit. This country is beyond repair.

The moral arc of the universe bends towards power. And only one side of the aisle acts accordingly.

The GOP are monsters, but they're not subtle and they're pretty consistent. We have known forever what they were going to do when they got the opportunity.

The Democrats never even attempted to stop this from happening. No attempt to pack the court, no attempt to pass a law, no attempt to exert pressure on members of their own party. Just "please donate money to the DNC for the next election, once again the most important one in history!" Oh, and the one thing they did do when this leaked two months ago was pass a bill to increase security for the Supreme Court that spent this week killing abortion rights, Miranda rights, and gun control, while signaling they're coming for gay marriage next. The Democrats decided the most important thing to do was make sure those people didn't have their comfort threatened.

The Democratic Party cannot and will not save us. We need something else.

well said :up:

This wouldn’t have happened if more people had listened back in 2016 and voted for Clinton. But no, folks got hung up on her and Trump appointed 3 Justices to the SC. All 3 of whom stated that Roe v Wade was settled law.

I agree that the leadership of the Democrat Party is severely lacking. The real issue you are facing is that midterms are in 5 months and the GOP leadership is very effective in achieving their aims. Who are you going to vote for to stop the GOP?

This could have been codified into law in 2008-2010 when democrats held enough power to do it.

Unfortunately the party has always been too diverse and not even close to falling in line like the other side.

I’m sure some of them thought back then we would never ever reach this point.

They still could have done it then, and they failed us

Edit to state the Religious Right has been pushing for this for over 50 years. As we entered the late 80s and 90s they infiltrated the GOP and the calls to overturn grew louder and louder.

This has not been a secret at all. Democrats believed in good faith and institutions, the other side took advantage of the weak spots.

I really don’t know how this goes over for midterms. We’ll see tons of marches, lots of activism, but that isn’t the same as turning out to the polls.

Because of gerrymandering and the always absence of youth turnout, we may be stuck with these decisions for 40-50 years.

Maybe humanity will surprise us and we blow the roof off.

I still have doubts that even getting more Dems into senate (and holding the house) they’ll actually get something done. It starts at the top, and they look inept now

Last edited:
Obama only had a filibuster-proof Senate majority for a couple of months or so, and he used it to get the ACA through. Despite campaigning on codifying Roe v Wade of course.

It does seem wild that a majority of ~58 is held hostage by the minority. It only takes a few people acting in bad faith to block a system.

How bad will this fundamentalist minority rule have to get before people start to leave? Unfortunately it seems these new rulings affect the poorest folks in the poorest states, so by the time it really affects the coastal population the gates of Gillead will have just slammed shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom