US Politics XXV: At Least We're Not Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren’t a functional country. Definitely not a functional federal government (and 80% of states seem to be same way)

At this point it feels like it’ll take a Hail Mary for Joe Biden to win.

Polls are going off of a normal society. We aren’t that anymore.

Pandemic
Recession / huge unemployment
Voter suppression
No checks and balances - Gutted government
Racial tension and violence

And every week we lose a little more and more of what made us a republic democracy.

Democrats have raised a standard to win so high that it can’t possibly be met. That we have to win by 20 million votes, and Biden must get 400 EC votes just to make sure Trump can’t have any sort of legit gripe of RIGGED.

This election is going to be close. It’ll come down to the same swing states as it always does. Our infrastructure has crumbled so far in the last four years that i don’t see how anyone can say Biden has an advantage

Hope to be completely wrong.

Watching Mother's husband speak, you'd think that Donald Trump walked in after an Obama presidency so catastrophic that people were dying and starving in the streets, the economy something akin to a post-nuclear holocaust state, the American military down to tatters and armed with nothing but homemade slingshots and the rest of the world dominating and humiliating Americans at every turn.

These people live in a completely different reality.

Watching Mother's husband speak, you'd think that Donald Trump walked in after an Obama presidency so catastrophic that people were dying and starving in the streets, the economy something akin to a post-nuclear holocaust state, the American military down to tatters and armed with nothing but homemade slingshots and the rest of the world dominating and humiliating Americans at every turn.

These people live in a completely different reality.

Although, to be fair, we’ve heard the US post-Obama described in similar terms by people from the other end of the political spectrum. Maybe minus the military part, but the narrative of failure and suffering with easily identifiable bad guys and simple answers to complex problems is the same.

Trump campaign going silent on airwaves for the next two weeks. No new ads til Sept 8th. That will be 44 days until election day. Only about a week until a quarter of the country starts voting, and about one month until the majority of the country will be voting.

I think Dems are freaking out about the RNC, the way we freak out if we see polls dip a percent or two. And with good reason. This is life and death this time.

But take heart. 15 million people are watching this shit show. Probably a quarter of them are Dems that want a laugh, and the remaining 11 million are hard core, koolaid drinking, Trump blowup doll humping cult members. The lies and fear they are spouting is falling on converted ears.

This is a different year. We have many minds made up. Kenosha will fade, Trump will have to deal with a weather disaster, debates will happen...
Biden has held strong for 3 months. Stronger than anyone could in a hyper polarized country like ours.

Keep pushing, keep donating, keep volunteering, Get your friends and family to vote early, and we will do this.

Although, to be fair, we’ve heard the US post-Obama described in similar terms by people from the other end of the political spectrum. Maybe minus the military part, but the narrative of failure and suffering with easily identifiable bad guys and simple answers to complex problems is the same.
Open fascism = demanding health justice. Thanks for your input once again!

https://twitter.com/fredtjoseph/status/1298996430237921281?s=21

Until this rot in society is removed we cannot have nice things.

I know it goes against everything American, but there has to be some control on FoxNews and the conservative talk shows.

They are literally feeding poison to half of this country.

Think about how deranged you have to be to want to encourage hormonal 17-year-old boys who don't even have the right to vote and barely have the right to drive, to brandish weapons in the streets and use their own "best judgment" on whom to shoot.

It reminds me of post-Virginia-Tech shooting where you had enlightened gun nuts suggesting that professors should be armed. And I was sitting on a law school class, where the professor was at the front but the entrance doors were in the back (arena-style seating like a fishbowl). And I looked at my prof with his super thick glasses, a body that hadn't seen any exercise in probably 30 years and jittery hands and thought to myself that he'd kill most of us while aiming for the gunman.

and here comes nancy pelosi with the brilliant suggestion that there should be no presidential debates at all. because that isn't a slam dunk for the GOP's "biden doesn't want to debate trump because he has brain worms" tactic or anything.

how the hell are democrats SO BAD at this :doh:

and here comes nancy pelosi with the brilliant suggestion that there should be no presidential debates at all. because that isn't a slam dunk for the GOP's "biden doesn't want to debate trump because he has brain worms" tactic or anything.

She really shouldn't speak.

She also is trying to bail Richard Neal out of his tightly contested primary challenge from Alex Morse by saying he'll finally subpoena Trump's tax returns if he beats Morse and Biden wins. Once again, Pelosi has no desire to do anything but blame the electorate. Neal intentionally dragged his feet on that for months.

Not sure I agree on that. I totally understand if they don't want to have debates. I feel like Biden has little to gain and everything to lose from having debates.

Biden makes one gaffe, sounds like a confused man just one time, they will run with it and hammer him with it. They will make ads out of it. Meanwhile, the bar for Trump is so low that if he gets through a debate without tripping over his shoelaces, it will be made out to be a victory for him.

All that aside, there's also the fact that Trump will not engage in anything resembling an intellectually honest debate. It's an exercise in futility. He'll say dumb untrue shit, Biden will say that Trump is saying dumb untrue shit, and everyone watching will stay exactly where they started. What's the point?

It seems like a dumb thing to say, but she may be up to something. Wait and see.

Not sure I agree on that. I totally understand if they don't want to have debates. I feel like Biden has little to gain and everything to lose from having debates.

Biden makes one gaffe, sounds like a confused man just one time, they will run with it and hammer him with it. They will make ads out of it. Meanwhile, the bar for Trump is so low that if he gets through a debate without tripping over his shoelaces, it will be made out to be a victory for him.

All that aside, there's also the fact that Trump will not engage in anything resembling an intellectually honest debate. It's an exercise in futility. He'll say dumb untrue shit, Biden will say that Trump is saying dumb untrue shit, and everyone watching will stay exactly where they started. What's the point?

I don’t think this is true at all.

The GOP has basically been accusing Biden of sundowning for months, so it caught everyone off guard when he delivered a fairly universally lauded speech. Also, by doing this, they’ve built the expectation that Trump is some sort of great debater, when he clearly lost all three debates in 2016 and cons rly says things that are stupid and must be disavowed by his team within minutes. He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore, and he won’t be on stage next to a woman he can imply is no-fun, or married to a rapist.

Biden should absolutely debate.

This is how Democrats lose swing states, and we are walking a fine fuckingn line right now:

“Whether it’s fair or not, they see this all as one monolith: From Biden on down to the guy throwing the brick at the cop,” said Mr. Wigderson, who has been critical of Mr. Trump. “As a result, they are more motivated not to let those people win.”

That was all the more true for committed Republicans in Kenosha. Don Biehn, 62, owner of a flooring company, was standing in line at a gun store on Tuesday afternoon. He said that he had never bought a pistol before, but that he had a business to protect. A former county board supervisor, Mr. Biehn said he had been calling county and state officials for days, trying to explain how grave the situation was.

Neither John Antaramian, the mayor of Kenosha, nor Jim Kreuser, the county executive, responded to requests for comment. (The positions are nonpartisan, but both men previously served in the State Assembly as Democrats.)

“There’s people running all over with guns — it’s like some Wild West town,” Mr. Biehn said. “We are just waiting here like sitting ducks waiting to get picked off.”

He added: “It’s chaos — everybody is afraid.”

Mr. Trump, he said, “was not my man,” but now he is grateful he is president.

He said he seemed to understand in a way that other politicians did not.

“There’s nobody fighting back,” he said. “Nobody is paying attention to what’s going on.”
Scott Haight, who was boarding up a line of businesses in a Kenosha strip mall on Tuesday, said he blamed Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, a Democrat, for what he said was irresponsibly stirring up emotion. (On Monday, Mr. Barnes said the shooting “wasn’t an accident.”)

“It’s like ‘What, are you trying to burn our city down?’” Mr. Haight said.

Mr. Haight, 59, said he was a “lifelong Democrat” but had decided not to vote this year

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/...ce=articleShare#click=https://t.co/6TDjthcWoj

I think it’s all very fluid, and anything could change at any moment, and this article does have a “diner-in-Western-PA” feel as it’s all anecdotes.

But this is a much trickier situation for the Democrats. You literally can’t say “sure, go burn things, I get it.” But you also have to stay on the side of the protesters, and not co flare the two. That’s much harder than shouting “LAW AND ORDER!” What the LAO response has is clarity, when things are right now very, very unclear and very, very uncertain.

I said a couple weeks ago that Biden/Harris have to stay on top of rioting and looting. Now, they finally are. But I don’t envy having to explain what they have to explain.

friendly reminder that all mass media has an inherent interest in making the race appear much closer than it really is.

Your posts are every bit as manic and apocalyptic as anyone speaking at that convention. And you hate the Democrats possibly even more.

Time to put you back on ignore.
Your willingness to equivocate leftist complaints with the Democrats with right wing fascism and conspiracy theories ironically has you doing the exact thing that you accuse leftists of doing. You've become an incredibly condescending person, which is amazing since you've not recognized that you're settling into the late 30s malaise of believing you have solved the entire world's problems and that you have the one true viewpoint.

Sorry that my viewpoints have evolved as I've learned more about the world and reacted to the way it has changed over the last five years. My mistake! Apparently my despair that the Democrats are throwing millions of people the wolves is fascist apologia!

You willingly mistake my anger at what is going on with thoughtlessness. I don't pretend the solutions are simple. What I am saying is that the solutions are obviously not close to what many in power are pretending them to be. And that we need people who can at least recognize the basics, the simple parts of this, before we can actually work on getting real solutions in place. It won't be easy, and I don't pretend it will be. But recognizing the problems should be, and we aren't even there yet. That is incredibly frustrating! And my nerves are worn to the nub from having to do this circular argument bullshit every fucking day for years now.

You don't want to hear that. You want to hear that I'm a young little freak who is mad at the world and wants to take it out on the adults in the room because you can't wave a magic wand and make it all better. Because you're a condescending asshole.

So, since you'll ignore everything else and cherry pick what you want to see so that you don't have to engage with the complicated parts you pretend I avoid, why don't I cut out the middle man for you? Here's a simple solution: go fuck yourself.

Your willingness to equivocate leftist complaints with the Democrats with right wing fascism and conspiracy theories ironically has you doing the exact thing that you accuse leftists of doing. You've become an incredibly condescending person, which is amazing since you've not recognized that you're settling into the late 30s malaise of believing you have solved the entire world's problems and that you have the one true viewpoint.

Sorry that my viewpoints have evolved as I've learned more about the world and reacted to the way it has changed over the last five years. My mistake! Apparently my despair that the Democrats are throwing millions of people the wolves is fascist apologia!

You willingly mistake my anger at what is going on with thoughtlessness. I don't pretend the solutions are simple. What I am saying is that the solutions are obviously not close to what many in power are pretending them to be. And that we need people who can at least recognize the basics, the simple parts of this, before we can actually work on getting real solutions in place. It won't be easy, and I don't pretend it will be. But recognizing the problems should be, and we aren't even there yet. That is incredibly frustrating! And my nerves are worn to the nub from having to do this circular argument bullshit every fucking day for years now.

You don't want to hear that. You want to hear that I'm a young little freak who is mad at the world and wants to take it out on the adults in the room because you can't wave a magic wand and make it all better. Because you're a condescending asshole.

So, since you'll ignore everything else and cherry pick what you want to see so that you don't have to engage with the complicated parts you pretend I avoid, why don't I cut out the middle man for you? Here's a simple solution: go fuck yourself.

I’m very sorry for whatever happened to you.

This is a totally inappropriate, personal post that will be reported and the mods should take action. You’ve embarrassed yourself by acting like the child you claim you’re not.

Last edited:
Jerry, if your nerves are so worn that you can’t refrain from calling people assholes and telling them to go fuck themselves, maybe you should take a break?

That said, Irvine, telling him he’s every bit as manic and democrat hating (and possibly more) as the Republicans is also wildly unfair and seems intentionally antagonistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom