Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When will Republicans concentrate on preventing more abortions by logical moves like education and supporting Planned Parenthood(who prevent more than they perform), rather than trying to step around or redefine science and legitimize rape?

Life begins at thought?

What the fuck is wrong with Arizona?

So ... I could be pregnant now, assuming I have sex two weeks from today? What?

Also, re conservatives piping up regarding anything remotely about rape: STOP IT. SERIOUSLY.

a bit of an over reaction

all the bill did was say a person needs to get their abortion no later than 18 - 20 weeks, instead of 20 weeks

I believe if they put banning abortions after 18 weeks on the ballot, it would pass in almost every state, easily.

Women need to be taught that there are consequences to their actions. If we don't stop them from fucking on the taxpayer dime and then killing babies, who will?

a bit of an over reaction

all the bill did was say a person needs to get their abortion no later than 18 - 20 weeks, instead of 20 weeks

I believe if they put banning abortions after 18 weeks on the ballot, it would pass in almost every state, easily.

That's not what the Bill did.

This is an old story, I think from back in April, and they passed a law prohibiting all abortion after 20 (effectively 18) weeks except for cases of imminent death, or something to that effect. There was never a change from 20 to 18 weeks.

As far as I know, at the beginning of the month the 9th Circuit blocked the law while the legal case is pending.

That's not what the Bill did.

This is an old story, I think from back in April, and they passed a law prohibiting all abortion after 20 (effectively 18) weeks except for cases of imminent death, or something to that effect. There was never a change from 20 to 18 weeks.

As far as I know, at the beginning of the month the 9th Circuit blocked the law while the legal case is pending.

that link, The Huff Post article is poorly written, just a rant

there is this

Arizona Did Not Declare That Pregnancy Begins Before Conception - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

I suppose we could find the actual bill and see what it says. At this point I still believe those were over reactions and a majority in the U S would vote to ban abortions after 18 0r 20 weeks.

It is just the extremists on both ends that are in the minority.

If politicians shouldn't speak of things they don't have first-hand experience with, you must not be much of a fan of Obama's economic policies whatsoever.

How do you figure that, exactly? And I did also say that if they are going to talk about it, they should at least educate themselves first, instead of make these weird comparisons about rape and make comments that show they don't seem to understand how women's monthly cycles work or whatever.

I was making an analogy with his lack of experience in the economy, to show that just because you don't PERSONALLY experience something, doesn't mean you can't have knowledge of it.

I get what you're saying, I really do. A lot of politicians have shown a lack of basic biological understanding lately. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people say men can't speak on female political issues, simply because they're male.

I'm just glad to see that Akin got raked over the coals for his comments. He's still clearly an idiot who doesn't see where he went wrong, but most people realize how moronic he is.

I guess another thing about my earlier outburst is this: while it's true that you don't have to have firsthand experience with something to know about it, this is one issue where I just tend to feel really squicky about men getting too involved in. It's such a personal thing for women, and so it's strange to hear men talk about and obsess over making laws regarding something that is so personal. And then when they're blatantly ignorant and offensive about it to boot? That just makes it even worse, and even creepier.

I can't bring myself to get any more worked up about that than other stuff. I know what he means. He could have picked a more delicate way of saying "some pregnancies are a result of rape," but at least that's a true statement and not something that's utterly incorrect, like "blah blah blah shutting that down."

I obviously disagree with his views on the topic, but it's not like he's saying "oh, rape ... it's just another way of conceiving a child, what's the big deal?"

Well if he's still ahead in the polls I guess many people agree with him. He also recently said that Claire McCaskill used to be more "ladylike". So the govt sticking its nose into pregnancy and rape and ladyparts is fine and won't get us into huge trouble? Let me write that down...

Huffington Post

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.), the Senate candidate that drew criticism in August after making the inaccurate claim that the victims of "legitimate rape" can force their bodies to avoid pregnancy, also believes it's fair for employers to pay women less than men.

"I believe in free enterprise. I don't think the government should be telling people what you pay and what you don't pay," Akin said at a town hall meeting on Thursday. The comment came in response to a question about Akin's decision to vote against the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009, which has made it it easier for women to challenge unequal pay.

"I think it's about freedom," Akin added. "If somebody wants to hire somebody and they agree on a salary, that's fine, however it wants to work. So, the government sticking its nose into all kinds of things has gotten us into huge trouble."

Closing the female pay gap has proved difficult in recent decades. In the second quarter of 2012, the median female worker's earnings amounted to just 80 percent of the median male worker's earnings, according to the Labor Department, not much more than the 75 percent they earned in 1989, according to a separate study.

Though women more often work in lower-paying industries than men, some employers have been found to pay women less for equal work. Female chief executives earn roughly 72 percent of what their male counterparts make.

Akin has stayed in the Senate race in spite of calls from a number of Republican politicians to bow out. He currently leads his opposition, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), by one percentage point, according to the latest poll. McCaskill recently released the video of Akin's remarks on female pay.

What Akin does -- like,say, Temt Lott's comments from a few years back about segregation -- I that he speaks out loud what liberals imagine conservatives say to one another behind closes doors.

It's time for another round of "GOP Politicians Being Offensively Stupid and Not Knowing About Women's Health Issues!" Today we have the esteemed Joe Walsh of Illinois weighing in:

Congressman says abortions never necessary to save life of mother | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

You know, it's one thing to be pro-life, that position in and of itself does have some merit. But for cripes' sake, what in the hell kind of schools did these people go to to get this kind of moronic, ignorant thinking?

Also, can we please, please, PLEASE, for the love of God, get some female politicians weighing in on this issue already?

You know, it's one thing to be pro-life, that position in and of itself does have some merit. But for cripes' sake, what in the hell kind of schools did these people go to to get this kind of moronic, ignorant thinking?

Also, can we please, please, PLEASE, for the love of God, get some female politicians weighing in on this issue already?

But we're too emotional to rationalize a situation. Our menstrual cycles prevent us from thinking properly, and its even worse when we go through menopause. C'mon, Angela. Don't you realize a woman's limitations?

I always seem to forget, I guess. Silly me, thinking we should have a say in something that directly affects us.

Plus, a female politician who was speaking on this issue in Michigan was told to stop because she dared utter the word "vagina", so if we can't even get that far, then I guess I shouldn't expect anything further with that.

(I do love how these politicians who think they can make all these laws on this sort of topic can't seem to handle hearing a woman say the word "vagina". You're legislating something you don't want discussed in public? Okay.)

Just another troglodyte. The simplest example are ectopic pregnancies which are not rare. One almost killed my mother on her 3rd pregnancy.

It's shocking that people in this day and age can be that ignorant.

I was just talking about this with my father. We're both pretty ignorant on the specifics of this situation, so could someone give an example as to a situation where an abortion would be necessary to save the life of the mother?

Back
Top Bottom