NJ Principal Asks Parents To Ban Social Networking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
RIDGEWOOD, NJ (CBS) - A controversial proposal has students horrified at a Bergen County middle school on Wednesday. The principal is asking parents to join a voluntary ban on social networking.

Eighth grader Ali Feinberg told CBS 2 she uses her iPhone to check her Facebook account "a lot" and some of her friends said the same. Now all have to talk to their parents about getting off the popular social network. It won't be easy.

"I am very addicted to Facebook," Feinberg's classmate Elizabeth Dolan told CBS 2.

Anthony Orsini, the principal at Benjamin Franklin Middle School in Ridgewood, sent out an e-mail Wednesday morning asking parents to help him get all of his students off social networks and keep careful track of their text messages.

"Please do the following: sit down with your child (and they are just children still) and tell them that they are not allowed to be a member of any social networking site. Today!

"Let them know that you will at some point every week be checking their text messages online! You have the ability to do this through your cell phone provider.

"Let them know that you will be installing Parental Control Software so you can tell every place they have visited online, and everything they have instant messaged or written to a friend. Don't install it behind their back, but install it!"

Although Orsini's e-mail is just a request, not an order, it's language is blunt:

"It is time for every single member of the BF Community to take a stand! There is absolutely no reason for any middle school student to be a part of a social networking site!

"Let me repeat that - there is absolutely, positively no reason for any middle school student to be a part of a social networking site! None."

He said the sites have become a tool for children to do psychological harm to each other, often anonymously – a trend known as "cyber-bullying."

"Rumors used to be some mean girl says something in the hall, but now it's out there for the whole world to look at," he told CBS 2.

Middle schools have always had drama and emotion, but the social networks amplify them to such an extent that guidance counselors there said it's become a menace to their students.

Meredith Wearly, the school's guidance counselor, said about 75 percent of her day is spent dealing with social networking issues with students.

Since the e-mail has gone out, the principal said the reaction has been generally positive. But the truth will come when individual negotiations take place between parent and child to get them off Facebook.

Feinberg said she plans to argue the issue with her parents. "I'm not going to do anything bad, so why should I get rid of it?" she said.

There are 700 students at Benjamin Franklin Middle. Parents of more than 20 have already responded to the e-mail, and Orsini said he's heard no adult opposition to the idea.

Below is a copy of Orsini's entire e-mail:

Dear BF Community,

In 2002 when I arrived in Ridgewood Facebook did not exist, Youtube did not exist, and MySpace was barely in existence. Formspring (one of the newest internet scourges, a site meant simply to post cruel things about people anonymously) wasn't even in someone's mind.

In 2010 social networking sites have now become commonplace, and technology use by students is beyond prevalent.

It is time for every single member of the BF Community to take a stand!

There is absolutely no reason for any middle school student to be a part of a social networking site!

Let me repeat that - there is absolutely, positively no reason for any middle school student to be a part of a social networking site! None.

5 of the last 8 parents who we have informed that their child was posting inappropriate things on Facebook said their child did not have an account. Every single one of the students had an account.

3 Students yesterday told a guidance counselor that their parents told them to close their accounts when the parents learned they had an account. All three students told their parents it was closed. All three students still had an account after telling their parents it was closed.

Most students are part of more than one social networking site.

Please do the following: sit down with your child (and they are just children still) and tell them that they are not allowed to be a member of any social networking site. Today!

Let them know that you will at some point every week be checking their text messages online! You have the ability to do this through your cell phone provider.

Let them know that you will be installing Parental Control Software so you can tell every place they have visited online, and everything they have instant messaged or written to a friend. Don't install it behind their back, but install it!

Over 90% of all homework does not require the internet, or even a computer. Do not allow them to have a computer in their room, there is no need.

Know that they can text others even if their phone doesn't have texting capability, either through the computer or through their Ipod touch.

Have a central "docking station" preferably in your bedroom, where all electronics in the home get charged each night, especially anything with a cell or wifi capability (Remember when you were in high school and you would sneak the phone into your bedroom at midnight to talk to you girlfriend or boyfriend all night - now imagine what they can do with the technology in their rooms).

If your son or daughter is attacked through one of these sites or through texting - immediately go to the police! Insist that they investigate every situation. Also, contact the site and report the attack to the site - they have an obligation to suspend accounts or they are liable for what is written.

We as a school can offer guidance and try to build up any student who has been injured by the social networking scourge, but please insist the authorities get involved.

For online gaming, do not allow them to have the interactive communication devices. If they want to play Call of Duty online with someone from Seattle, fine, they don't need to talk to the person.

The threat to your son or daughter from online adult predators is insignificant compared to the damage that children at this age constantly and repeatedly do to one another through social networking sites or through text and picture messaging.

It is not hyperbole for me to write that the pain caused by social networking sites is beyond significant - it is psychologically detrimental and we will find out it will have significant long term effects, as well as all the horrible social effects it already creates.

I will be more than happy to take the blame off you as a parent if it is too difficult to have the students close their accounts, but it is time they all get closed and the texts always get checked.

I want to be clear, this email is not anti-technology, and we will continue to teach responsible technology practices to students. They are simply not psychologically ready for the damage that one mean person online can cause, and I don't want any of our students to go through the unnecessary pain that too many of them have already experienced.

Some people advocate that the parents and the school should teach responsible social networking to students because these sites are part of the world in which we live.

I disagree, it is not worth the risk to your child to allow them the independence at this age to manage these sites on their own, not because they are not good kids or responsible, but because you cannot control the poor actions of anonymous others.

Learn as a family about cybersafety together at wiredsafety.org for your own knowledge. It is a great site. But then do everything I asked in this email - because there really is no reason a child needs to have one of these accounts.

Please take action in your on home today.

Sincerely,
Anthony Orsini
Principal, BFMS

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard. He's sending out a suggestion, not demanding people do it. The parents will decide whether or not they will follow his suggestion or not.

... or at least try to follow the suggestion.

I'm sure the kids will be thrilled with the mere suggestion they delete their Facebook pages and whatnot.

Well of course he has no power to demand it, but I think he could have gone a little different route in his suggestion. I think telling parents that their child shouldn't have a computer in their room, that there is "absolutely, positively no reason for any middle school student to be a part of", and pretty much making parents sound like they are clueless about their child goes a little far.

I know plenty of parents that carefully control their child's facebook accounts at this age in order for them to keep in contact with their family in other parts of the country or their friends. They only use it when the parent is watching, and only the parent knows the account info.

I know plenty of parents that carefully control their child's facebook accounts at this age in order for them to keep in contact with their family in other parts of the country or their friends. They only use it when the parent is watching, and only the parent knows the account info.

So it's not really the child's account (even if it has the kid's name on it), it's the parents' account and the child is using it. I don't see where what he's asking is a whole lot different than what the parents you know are already doing.

And I don't think kids this age need to be on social networking sites to talk with their everyday friends. If they have to gossip about their "friends" and classmates, make them do it in person or on the phone like we had to! :angry: ;)

the guy had me going up until half way thru his letter when he started talking about taking computers away and all that stuff, at which point i realized he was a complete wack-a-doodle on an anti-technology rant of epic proportions.

the ironic thing is that the video game that he says it's ok for them to play as long as they don't have a headset hooked up?

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-cover1.jpg

Rated M for Mature!

His only concern should be students using phones during classtime. That's it. For everything else, they should tell him to fuck off and worry about his school.

I would agree that suggesting they take computers away completely is ridiculous. If anything, if it gets parents to take a more active role, or to realize the kinds of things that go on via social media (especially the bullying/harassment that can happen), then it's a good thing.

1. His email was too long.
2. When I was a kid, they didn't want us to watch TV for nonsense reasons. Same shit, different medium; the kids will be fine. Stupid maybe, but fine.

if you sit too close you'll go blind.

which is of course what also will happen if you masterbate too much.

it's a miracle that the 25 to 40 year old male population of america isn't over-run with a bunch of blind, hairy palmed degenerates.

Not a bad idea to ban social networking during class time. I'm surprised the school doesn't already have such a policy in place.

Also not a bad idea to ask parents to step in and regulate their kids' activity online to keep harassment down, given some of the things that have happened.

Anything else is outside the school's purview.

PS. Doesn't Facebook have an age policy?

Not a bad idea to ban social networking during class time. I'm surprised the school doesn't already have such a policy in place.

I didn't read it closely but that was my first reaction as well. Until college we were not allowed to be using cell phones, pagers, PDAs, smart phones or anything like that during school hours on school grounds. I believe the computer labs also filtered the popular sites which have no real value as far as academic research.

I don't see the purpose in banning social networking outside of school though. Kids just need to learn how to be responsible with it. I guess if that's too complicated for parents to teach then they can go ahead and ban their child but I don't see how that solves anything in the long run. I had unrestricted computer hours and access but I was an A student and was responsible about telling my parents where I was going and who I was with. Computer access probably would have been different if I was a wild kid. As for all the gadgets, my parents could not have cared less because they didn't buy those things for us. If we wanted that stuff, we worked and bought it.

Why do eighth graders have iPhones?

Aside from their $200 cost or whatever, the parents are paying some $80/month so these 13-year-olds can have Facebook readily available? Ridiculous.

looks like the usual reasonable posters got this one right

The Principal has valid points, it appears he came to these conclusions from real world experience, and his advice should be heeded.

I'm in college and do not have Internet access on my phone. I'm not sure what use it would do me other than to check for important e-mails during the portion of the day where I have three classes in a row.

Ridgewood, NJ, is a very wealthy town. Like most principals and administrators in NJ, this principal seems to make pretty decent money for being a middle school principal. He makes $142,057/year. (Not that this is relevant to this discussion.) But in reality, that's not much to live in northern New Jersey -- where everything is very expensive.

I don't know why I posted this. Just a curiosity really. There is a web site that gives all the public information in New Jersey (like salaries of public employees, state criminal convictions, etc.) It's called "Data Universe" and put out by the Asbury Park Press newspaper.

APP.com | Monmouth and Ocean counties DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press

Ironically, to look up this guy's info, you'll have to make your way through numerous web advertisements for "Facebook" of all things. HA.

Anyway, the most worrisome thing about that principal's email was the number of exclamation points he used in it.

i don't know what the principal's salary has to do with any of this... but i could live quite nicely on 150k in northern jersey.

back on topic...

i would venture to guess social networking is already banned at the school... the principal is addressing use at home. there is this growing "issue" with cyber bullying in education. reality is the issue is made bigger by administrators who have zero ability to understand the technology at hand.

take formspring for example... the sole purpose of formspring is not to allow people to annonymously cyber bully people, as this principal has said. that happens as an unfortunate side effect of the site.

this is a simple case of older people being out of the loop when it comes to dealing with new technology. to me it's right in line with those who blame movies, music and video games for all the wackadoodles out there in the world... as if people didn't go nuts before grand theft auto came out.

bullying existed before facebook and the internet. it will exist when the next technology takes over. the technology is not the issue. what, like people didn't send anonymous notes, write things on lockers and desks, make prank harrasing phone calls, etc. etc. etc. before the internet? before facebook?

our society seems to always want to find an excuse for the problem rather than address the issue it's self. it's easier to just demonize something.

if you sit too close you'll go blind.

which is of course what also will happen if you masterbate too much.

it's a miracle that the 25 to 40 year old male population of america isn't over-run with a bunch of blind, hairy palmed degenerates.

Wait, we aren't all like that?

Sicy, delete all of my photos from the Interferencers Photo thread!

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom