Is Feminism Still Relevant? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #301
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:07 PM
This is your evidence?

Where are the statistics we were giving you a bit to get together?
__________________

Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 03:07 PM
At least they weren't more book recommendations.
__________________

IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #303
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:07 PM
hahahaha
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #304
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,600
Local Time: 11:07 AM
I read a book about Tantric Sex
it did not have a happy ending.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #305
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
So here's my original quote, with the implied grammar expanded a little bit to make clear what I was trying to say.



Okay, so the first part- women are targeted for hate speech and violence based on sex.

A quick survey of the FB memes on the link I posted and a few places can demonstrate hate speech.

Another study shows that gaming has a sexist problem - Destructoid A female-voice player receives 3 times as many negative comments as a male voice player in online gaming, many of them including slurs like slut and whore.

Zerlina Maxwell, after saying on Fox that we should focus on telling men not to rape rather than telling women not to get raped, was inundated with racist, sexist rape and death threats. A few nice examples here. Fox News Guest Receives Racist Rape And Death Threats After Arguing Guns Aren't The Solution To Rape | ThinkProgress

Sexual Threats Stifle Some Female Bloggers Female participants received 25 times as many sexually explicit and malicious messages as males.


Someone created an online game that allows you to put bruises on the face of a blogger running a kickstarter campaign.This is what online harassment looks like Links to other stuff in there too.

A stroll through the results on "online harassment women" indicates that female bloggers experience sexual harassment almost universally, with comments ranging from opinions on their fuckability or appearance to repeated threats to rape both them and their mother, and posting the woman's home address. There is a ton of info on this, mostly anecdotal but all pretty depressing.
Some interesting and bizarrely unique examples but none that support your broad and sweeping statement.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 02:07 PM
There are two academic studies in there.

In the first, two players, one experienced and one not, played Halo online, using both male and female voices. The female voice received much higher rates of negative comments regardless of which player was actually using it. The second is a broad survey of internet comments. The methodology is good, and the studies are linked in the articles.
jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #307
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,360
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I think maybe two separate points are getting muddled.
As far as people getting offended by a rape joke, that's fine. You're allowed to be offended. It's when people then take their personal reaction to a joke or comment and act as if it's somehow exceptional. The idea that, because they felt offended, something must be done about it, is completely self absorbed. And specifically trying to ban one particular 'brand' of joke implies that their offense is more important than anyone else's. If we're going to make anything the topic of a joke, we must make everything fair game.
Okay, that clarifies things. But what is the number of offendees that must makes themselves known before the offender faces some type of ramifications? Let's say a comedian starts throwing around racial epithets, and twenty or twenty-five people get offended. Are those people justified in calling out the comedian?
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #308
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
There are two academic studies in there.

In the first, two players, one experienced and one not, played Halo online, using both male and female voices. The female voice received much higher rates of negative comments regardless of which player was actually using it. The second is a broad survey of internet comments. The methodology is good, and the studies are linked in the articles.
Gamers and those that comment anonymously on YouTube videos? A real slice of humanity, right?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Okay, that clarifies things. But what is the number of offendees that must makes themselves known before the offender faces some type of ramifications? Let's say a comedian starts throwing around racial epithets, and twenty or twenty-five people get offended. Are those people justified in calling out the comedian?
The number of offendees shouldn't matter. That was another point I was trying to make. If 20 people come forward because they were offended by a rape joke, that doesn't make their case any more important that the joke about left-handed, redheaded dwarfs that only offended one person. It can't be an unpopularity contest; that is inherently unfair. That's why, when it comes to comedy, everything is on the table.
That said, there is certainly a difference between jokes and outright racism or sexism. Any functioning adult should be able to tell the two apart. I touched on that in a couple posts. There has to be a joke. A lot of the pictures being referenced here aren't even jokes. Hitler wasn't telling Jew jokes.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #310
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
There are two academic studies in there.

In the first, two players, one experienced and one not, played Halo online, using both male and female voices. The female voice received much higher rates of negative comments regardless of which player was actually using it. The second is a broad survey of internet comments. The methodology is good, and the studies are linked in the articles.
You know what happens when I play Call of Duty? I get called a faggot, a nigger (even though I'm white), a bitch, etc. It should come as no surprise that someone who is immediately singled out from the predominantly male voices would attract more attention. Same goes for a person with a foreign accent in a sea of North American ones. I hear it all the time. The study is flawed because they only tested one unique voice quality, then attributed the cause to sexism. That most certainly doesn't qualify for good methodology.
It should also come as no surprise that words like 'whore' and 'slut' pop up. In every other aspect of speech, we have words relating to women and words relating to men. Why, when it comes to profanity, is this suddenly always an issue? You know what those female gamers won't get called? Dickhead, asshole, fuck face, faggot, and any other number of names more commonly associated with men.
And yes, those words are highly sexual in nature. The majority of English profanity is highly sexual in nature. How is any of this not obvious?

And as BVS pointed out, a survey of behaviour on the internet is hardly representative of normal, everyday behaviour. The language used on line and especially in gaming is more about eliciting a response than it is about any personal beliefs behind what is being said. You're being successfully trolled.

And you still haven't demonstrated how women are less protected than minorities. You haven't even tried
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #311
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,360
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
That said, there is certainly a difference between jokes and outright racism or sexism. Any functioning adult should be able to tell the two apart. I touched on that in a couple posts. There has to be a joke. A lot of the pictures being referenced here aren't even jokes. Hitler wasn't telling Jew jokes.
So in your estimation, something cannot be simultaneously comedic and bigoted?
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #312
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
So in your estimation, something cannot be simultaneously comedic and bigoted?
I'm not saying that. I'm also not saying you aren't allowed to think that joke teller is an asshole. You can have a personal reaction to a joke in any way you choose. But "I found that offensive" shouldn't hold any more weight than "I found that funny".
Plus, we're talking about jokes about a topic. There can be tasteless jokes. It's the idea of banning jokes about a certain topic that I have a problem with.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Gamers and those that comment anonymously on YouTube videos? A real slice of humanity, right?
My favorite part was the part about how if they were good players, they didn't get harassed. No fucking way!?
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #314
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

You know what happens when I play Call of Duty? I get called a faggot, a nigger (even though I'm white), a bitch, etc. It should come as no surprise that someone who is immediately singled out from the predominantly male voices would attract more attention. Same goes for a person with a foreign accent in a sea of North American ones. I hear it all the time. The study is flawed because they only tested one unique voice quality, then attributed the cause to sexism. That most certainly doesn't qualify for good methodology.
It should also come as no surprise that words like 'whore' and 'slut' pop up. In every other aspect of speech, we have words relating to women and words relating to men. Why, when it comes to profanity, is this suddenly always an issue? You know what those female gamers won't get called? Dickhead, asshole, fuck face, faggot, and any other number of names more commonly associated with men.
And yes, those words are highly sexual in nature. The majority of English profanity is highly sexual in nature. How is any of this not obvious?

And as BVS pointed out, a survey of behaviour on the internet is hardly representative of normal, everyday behaviour. The language used on line and especially in gaming is more about eliciting a response than it is about any personal beliefs behind what is being said. You're being successfully trolled.

And you still haven't demonstrated how women are less protected than minorities. You haven't even tried
And again, if they weren't shitty players, they didn't get harassed in the survey. So, really all this research proves is that if you want the other nameless faces in other parts of the world to play nice with you, don't suck.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #315
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,721
Local Time: 06:07 AM
I lost track with this thread, but what about stuff like this?



I think this is hilarious. I really like Louis CK, he's one of the comedians pushing boundaries.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #316
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 04:37 AM
I have to agree with you there - he's joking about the complete absurdity of someone wanting to be raped, not making fun of someone for being raped. I think that's fine, even if I did feel a little uncomfortable towards the end, but that's just me. Louis CK has developed a bit of reputation as a feminist as well as a great comedian, and I think he's leading the way in showing how male comedians should deal with these matters.

Now, let me backtrack a little. I think that using rape as a punchline is completely disgusting. I think that it trivialises and makes light a torturous and often life-ruining event for millions of people, largely people of a gender that already has to deal with inequality in most other facets of society every day, in every part of the world. And yet I think that any subject can be made funny in the hands of a talented and considerate comedian. Thing is, I've never heard a funny rape joke, as they've been defined in the thread. They are lazy and pathetic and don't just offend me as a feminist and (hopefully) decent human being, but also as someone who loves comedy. Making a rape joke is a sign you've given up, you have no understanding of people, you lack imagination and rely on outdated shock values. There are so many things you can joke about in the world, you simply don't need to make fun of someone for being forced to have non-consensual sex with a criminal. It's revolting and unnecessary.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 02:07 PM
The interesting thing about the slurs you mention, Jive, is that they are not specifically related to sex as part of your identity, and they don't imply someone else's access to your body the way slut and whore do. There's quite a lot loaded into those little words that male or gender neutral slurs do not. They make you feel vulnerable in ways the fuckface and dickhead do not.

It's true that gaming is a very sexist subculture, but internet trolling can be and is done by anyone. The anonymity of the internet allows for what's called dissociative anonymity- a security that your real identity is not known and you literally take on another one. It's the same phenomenon that allows for a huge range of surprising people to be collectors child porn. Once people start getting outed it's pretty devastating, because they really rely on that safety. Even the famous reddit troll Violentacrez was devastated when he was outed, and insisted that really he's a good guy.
jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
The interesting thing about the slurs you mention, Jive, is that they are not specifically related to sex as part of your identity, and they don't imply someone else's access to your body the way slut and whore do. There's quite a lot loaded into those little words that male or gender neutral slurs do not. They make you feel vulnerable in ways the fuckface and dickhead do not.
So jive can't dictate what should offend people, but you can dictate how being called a slut vs being told "I just pounded your ass harder than your boyfriend did last night, faggot" makes other people feel, and you can assert this with definite certainty that they are not the same thing? This entire paragraph is nothing but your personal opinion, and the way being called certain words make YOU feel. It isn't necessarily true.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,783
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I lost track with this thread, but what about stuff like this?



I think this is hilarious. I really like Louis CK, he's one of the comedians pushing boundaries.
That was actually funny. I generally find Louis CK mildly amusing at best, and massively overrated the rest of the time. But like sad punk said, rape isn't the punch line. The punch line is that wow, that girl was crazy. Not even close to the same thing as Tosh saying it would be funny if someone raped that lady who got offended. It doesn't offend me (idiotic, yes. But when it comes to trying to be offensive for the sake of being offensive, the only thing offensive is the fact that he's paid money to be what I perceive as incredibly unfunny), but I don't think anyone could say anything that would offend me.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 02:07 PM
Going back now to the other parts of my sweeping assertions, part 2- women are targeted for violence based on sex.

There is lots and lots of male violence in the world. Guys hurt and kill each other for all sorts of reasons. But when women are victims it is very often on the basis of her sex- rape and domestic violence.

85% of domestic violence victims are women. Almost one third of female homicide victims are killed by an intimate parter, as compared to 3% of men. http://www.ncadv.org/files/DomesticV...ational%29.pdf In 70-80% of intimate partner homicides, no matter which partner was killed, the man physically abused the woman before the murder. U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics state that 91% of rape victims are female and 9% are male, and 99% of arrestees for rape are male. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/SOO.PDF

As for the protection women receive, that's actually the easiest part of the whole thing. In the US 23 states have hate crime laws protecting race, relgion and ethncity from hate crimes, but only 13 list gender. http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/combat...crime_laws.pdf

Gender was added to the federal list of protected groups in 2009, in the same bill that added sexual orientation and gender identity. Civil Rights Division Home Page. However, rape and sexual assault are not classified as hate crimes, even then they include group-specific slurs which would trigger a hate crime investigation if the word was kike instead of whore. Sigh.
__________________

jeevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×