If I were a middle-aged white guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gingrich doesn't get it. Sure, there are some poor people who have no work ethic and that have habits that help to keep them in poverty. But there are also many who work their but off for minimum wage jobs and never get ahead. The problem we have is that neither side of the spectrum is willing to concede on ANY valid points the other side may have. Liberals shoot themselves in the foot by denying that in some cases poor character and poor work ethic does help to create poor circumstances because clearly in some cases of poverty these are factors. Meanwhile conservatives are so fixated on this issue they are willing to let plenty of honest, hardworking people and their children suffer just to make their point. Until we break this cycle of extreme partisan politics our country's problems won't go away and will only get worse.

thehill.com

Gingrich: Poor kids have bad work habits ‘unless it’s illegal’
By Jonathan Easley - 12/01/11 04:35 PM ET

GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday that “really poor children” have bad work habits and no knowledge of how to make an income “unless it’s illegal.”

Doubling down on his argument that children in poor neighborhoods should be employed as janitors in schools, Gingrich argued that the best way to teach children in poor neighborhoods good working habits is to put them to work as soon as possible.

“Start with the following two facts,” Gingrich said Thursday at a campaign stop in Iowa.

“Really poor children in really poor neighborhoods have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works, so they literally have no habit of showing up on Monday,” Gingrich said.

“They have no habit of staying all day. They have no habit of ‘I do this and you give me cash’ unless it’s illegal.”

Gingrich said every successful person he knows started working at an early age in explaining his position that schools should hire poor children in their neighborhoods for part-time jobs as assistant librarians or assistant janitors.

“I come around to this question,” he said. “You have a very poor neighborhood. You have kids who are required under law to go to school. They have no money. They have no habit of work. What if you paid them part-time in the afternoon to sit at the clerical office and greet people when they come in? What if you paid them to work as the assistant librarian?”

“What if they became assistant janitors and their job was to mop the floor and clean the bathroom?” Gingrich added.

Gingrich has skyrocketed to the top of national polls, but many Republicans wonder if he’ll self-destruct under the spotlight of the campaign. A former House colleague of Gingrich, noting his penchant for controversial statements, told The Hill this week that Gingrich’s hand is always “six inches from the self-destruct button.”

The comments from Gingrich echo the argument he first made in November, when he called child labor laws that might prevent the hiring of school children as janitors as “stupid.”

“This is something that no liberal wants to deal with,” Gingrich said at the time. “Core policies of protecting unionization and bureaucratization against children in the poorest neighborhoods, crippling them by putting them in schools that fail has done more to create income inequality in the United States than any other single policy.

“It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid.”

If I were a middle-aged typical white guy...

http://votingfemale.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/chris-matthews-obama-white-for-an-hour.jpg?w=258&h=316[/img

Hillary Clinton would be president.[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

[QUOTE="BVS, post: 7433184, member: 19009"]And the Tea Party wouldn't exist...[/QUOTE]

Disagree.

[QUOTE="pcfitz80, post: 7433188, member: 66869"]Gingrich doesn't get it. Sure, there are some poor people who have no work ethic and that have habits that help to keep them in poverty. But there are also many who work their but off for minimum wage jobs and never get ahead. The problem we have is that neither side of the spectrum is willing to concede on ANY valid points the other side may have. Liberals shoot themselves in the foot by denying that in some cases poor character and poor work ethic does help to create poor circumstances because clearly in [I]some[/I] cases of poverty these are factors. Meanwhile conservatives are [I]so[/I] fixated on this issue they are willing to let plenty of honest, hardworking people and their children suffer just to make their point. Until we break this cycle of extreme partisan politics our country's problems won't go away and will only get worse.[/QUOTE]

Agree.

Gingrich doesn't get it. Sure, there are some poor people who have no work ethic and that have habits that help to keep them in poverty. But there are also many who work their but off for minimum wage jobs and never get ahead. The problem we have is that neither side of the spectrum is willing to concede on ANY valid points the other side may have. Liberals shoot themselves in the foot by denying that in some cases poor character and poor work ethic does help to create poor circumstances because clearly in some cases of poverty these are factors. Meanwhile conservatives are so fixated on this issue they are willing to let plenty of honest, hardworking people and their children suffer just to make their point. Until we break this cycle of extreme partisan politics our country's problems won't go away and will only get worse.
I don't recall ever hearing a liberal say that all poor people have great work ethic and character.

Back
Top Bottom