mystery pedals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craigp

War Child
S. Yorks, UK (In the Shadows & Tall Trees)
edge4.jpg

could someone help me by telling me what these pedals are/do? thanks

They're called expression pedals, but i don't know what they're for..I think I read something that said they had something to do with the piano..I could be wrong.

TheEdge U2JT said:
They are controls for the SDD3000. Since the 3000's and not midi units, the pedals control preset changes. One pedal goes bank up and one down. You can see the same pedals in old JT Tour photos.

i thought they controlled the backing tracks. . . ? :scratch:

Well, that screen shot is from the Chicago DVD. I think its to switch the Edge's guitar from the orchastral intro synth on/off. Right after he taps that, he taps the pedal for COBL and starts playing the chiming intro part.

was that a joke? because you don't have two pedals for 1 confettii tube from up above..

mandrake said:
Well, that screen shot is from the Chicago DVD. I think its to switch the Edge's guitar from the orchastral intro synth on/off. Right after he taps that, he taps the pedal for COBL and starts playing the chiming intro part.

that orchestral part you're talking about is from the Eventide Harmonizer, which has a spot on the Skrydstrup -- he turns the Eventide off right after he taps that 'mystery pedal.' it seems to me that it's for the backing track.

i thought they controlled the backing tracks. . . ?

You're right, they control the backing tracks. They are not the controller for the SDD-3000. I had a SDD-3000 with the footcontroller, that is not the one and since it is not midi capable, they must either switch it by hand or just keep it on one setting through the set.

They don't keep it the sdd-3000 on the same settings the whole time...im positive..

maybe dallas has the foot controller in his little underground office and he switches it.

man i'd love his job but it would be too hard stringing and preparing 34 guitars plus making sure which effect is on during the the like when edge plays uteotw and he steps away from his skrydstrup..

Last edited:
They don't keep it the sdd-3000 on the same settings the whole time...im positive.. maybe dallas has the foot controller in his little underground office and he switches it. man i'd love his job but it would be too hard stringing and preparing 34 guitars plus making sure which effect is on during the the like when edge plays uteotw and he steps away from his skrydstrup..

I'm not saying he keeps it on the same settings, but it's a possibility because he has 3-4 SDD-3000s in there and for most of the songs he uses the TC 2290 anyway.

I don't think Dallas has a foot controller that changes the presets to the SDD-3000 because it is not midi capable, perhaps why he has 3-4 in his rack. Plus, Dallas uses a Skrydstrup foot controller in the dungeon where he works that is the same as Edge's which means all his sounds are preset, so it's all about remembering which preset switch to hit. stringing all those guitars must be a hassle!

I know what you're saying, edge has only 2 sdd3000 during this tour and the setting changes constantly..Example...

During I still havent found what i'm looking for edge only used 1 sdd-3000 the setting was 135ms but when he played the solo for that song, that same sdd-3000 settings changed to 422ms, then when the solo was over the setting of the same sdd-3000 again went back to 135ms...

I'm here right now looking at the skrydstrup controller layout and on one switch it says SDD, I'm guessing that is the sdd-3000 because there isnt another effect that has to do with SDD... Why is there only one switch that has the SDD marked and not 2 of them marked when there are 2 sdd-3000 in his rack?? And if it's not midi capible why is it on the skrystrup?

And i wasn't saying earlier that the sdd was hooked up to the midi (which it obviously is now that a see the layout of it) But couldn't Schoo have a switch for the sdd-3000 it self?:eyebrow:

It on the foot controller to turn the loop on and off. It has nothing to do with midi.

As for changing presets on the SDD. Bob Bradshaw (CAE) makes a pedal the runs to the SDD to control the changes. It is not midi. It just controls moving the presets up or down one at a time.

That is not to say that Dallas is not changing them manually...you often see him back at the rack after he hands off the next guitar to Edge. However, to only way to explaing a mid-song change on the SDD is the Edge or Dallas is changin the patch by banking up or down one to the next setting and then going back.... i.e the solo section of ISHFWILF.

It controls backing tracks of each song..., this are recorded guitars, and other instruments that edge uses live

tpsglick2424 said:
Why is there only one switch that has the SDD marked and not 2 of them marked when there are 2 sdd-3000 in his rack??

Back up. Edge has nearly double of everything in its rack. He can't have one thing crap out on him during the show and stop everything while he and Dallas fix things.

The silver pedals are to stop and start the sequencers and to turn loops on and off for tracks like bad etc.Dallas bumps the presets up by hand on the sdd3000s just watch recent bootlegs and you will see him in the shadows switching the sdd 3000s

Why has nobody decided to re-issue the SDD-3000, only this time fully MIDI capable and with like 200 savable presets?

There just doesn't seem to be a good 19" delay unit these days. Especially one that does mod delay. Which if you mention it to people only gets you funny looks.

You could get the sdd2000 amd put a 25db booster in front of it to emulate the sdd 3000 in boost configuration. The sdd 2k isnt as warm as the 3k though

Back
Top Bottom